Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Young Fun and Moving to Dubai

Young Fun and Moving to Dubai

Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

SeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Young Fun and Moving to Dubai

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Possibly, just possibly...

Ben - you will be fine mate. Only advice is: don't get caught pissed in public, never drink and drive, don't bounce a cheque and try not to blow all your money on being blown.
And there was me thinking that I would probably be pissing in the wind- and then I go and get advice like this! Straight and to the point- and pretty exactly what I was looking for! Cheers emirates millhouse! Spot on! Thanks everyone else aswell in a round about way it's all top draw info! And even better if this the humour etc in Dubai I'm gonna fit right in! Keep it going people!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

But seriously, anythign you wouldn't do at your mother-in-law's is a no-no in public.

That means no farting, belching, scratching, shorts, kissing, PDA, swearing, drinking.

Anything that's not fun is OK though.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
But seriously, anythign you wouldn't do at your mother-in-law's is a no-no in public.

That means no farting, belching, scratching, shorts, kissing, PDA, swearing, drinking.

PDA? What about iPhones are they ok?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:12 pm
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice

Thought that was a favourite pastime for them fellas in white frocks?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

SeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the rough

No shorts? Seriously? They wear dresses surely we must be allowed shorts!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Dartford,

Nice to see the boys have welcomed you with open arms!

(Technophobe alert ( or just plain stoopid)), Whats a PDA?

Anyway Dartford, read through some of the old threads- have you been here before? Any idea what you're getting yourself into?

KC
x
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Hey kittycat!

No never been before- was offered the opportunity so thought why not! I'm young enough to take advantage of times like this and thought that if I didn't the whole "what if" scenario would play with me!

Going in very blind which is why I'm looking for an expat veteran to lead me (and stop me getting arrested)! Yeh been having a wander through the old threads! Seems to be a very mixed view of what you can and can't do (and get away with)- guess it's one of those things where I won't really know until I'm there myself!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow you've not even visited and your moving out here.....are you mad?

Erm you may love it or you might hate it! what are you doing out here? workwise?

You can get away with quite a lot without being arrested- I've managed it so far anyway and haven't been on best behaviour all of the time !
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Public Display of Affection
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeeYaDartford
Hey kittycat!

No never been before- was offered the opportunity so thought why not! I'm young enough to take advantage of times like this and thought that if I didn't the whole "what if" scenario would play with me!
Good lad. I can see why you'd take the punt, got to be better than Dartford!

Seriously, you will be fine... just be on sunday best behaviour, treat people with respect and smile and hold on to your thoughts when someone pisses you off.

I assume that you have fully researched the very high cost of living here and are not simply taking your UK salary 'tax free'?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:47 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good thing I don't have a mo-in-law.

Have done all these in public. And will continue to do so.

Dartford, don't worry. Most western expat men wear shorts all the time. I go to the fancy malls in my salt-stained swimming trunks right after a beach session and no one bats an eye.

It's generally the women that have to worry a bit more.

Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

but cross dressing is a real nono!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

And if you're gonna be driving out here, avoid the middle finger or other such signals to other drivers to comment on their driving 'skills' - this could easily lead to a short prison sentence, as opposed to a punch in the mouth in Dartford.

Good luck!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kittycat1
but cross dressing is a real nono!
There goes my weekend plans out of the window! To be fair it all seems pretty much common sense with most of the rules maybe just a little more upheld!

Going to be a financial advisor out there for all expats- don't worry I'm not on here touting for business or anything! As I mentioned earlier the possibilities just seemed a lot more appealing and just felt like something that needed to be done once in my life! Am really looking forward to and as long as the sun is shining and the bar sells beer I'll have a smile from ear to ear!

Yeh had a look at a few websites trying to get an insight about the cost of living but with the lack of tax it should all work out!

All that needs to be done now is to board the plane and get it done- life's to short to wonder "what if"
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

A financial advisor?

Is this where I can say 'oh dear'.

Milhouse, over to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.