Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Young Fun and Moving to Dubai

Young Fun and Moving to Dubai

Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

SeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the rough
Default Young Fun and Moving to Dubai

Evening,

New to the Forum so firstly hello! Long story short I'm Ben, I'm 25 and currently live in Dartford (Kent) and due to move to Dubai within a month with work.

Errr... well the main reason I'm on here is to get an idea if there are many or any "younger" people from the UK out there who can show me the ropes and simply meet up for a drink etc once I'm out there? Sadly not gonna know anyone!!! Think the main thing is probably telling me what I can and cant get away with due to the strict religious laws and such out there!

Anyway feel free to contact me it would be lovely to hear from you all!

Thanks

Ben
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:32 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young Fun and Moving to Dubai

Hi Ben,

Welcome to BE. I can't help with your questions as I am in the US, but I wanted to pop by and say hi and welcome you to our little corner of the internet. I hope you enjoy your time with us.

If you have any questions about anything on the site please let me or the moderators know, or you can post anytime in Site Feedback. The moderators for the ME forum are Bob, rowell and Nothernlad.

Once again welcome.

Sue
Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

SeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the roughSeeYaDartford is a jewel in the rough

Cheers Sue, thanks for the welcome! Advice is duely noted! Hope all is well out in the US- saying that abit selfishly I'd rather it be bad so that the pound gets abit of strength against the USD and thus the AED!

Only a month to go- getting abit nervous now but the excitement is completely outweighing the fear!

Anyway thanks again
Old Oct 12th 2010, 4:11 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmm...why don't you tell us first how you think it's going to be like here and what you think you can and cannot do...it will be interesting to see how an 'avarage' young British person perceives Dubai based on what the media have been reporting...
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:40 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you get drunk? Yes

Can you show off your vulgar tattoos to the entire world? Yes

Can you throw up in taxis? Yes

Can you should obscenities at the wait staff? Yes

Welcome to Dubai! You'll fit right in.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:34 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Can you get drunk? Yes

Can you show off your vulgar tattoos to the entire world? Yes

Can you throw up in taxis? Yes

Can you should obscenities at the wait staff? Yes

Welcome to Dubai! You'll fit right in.
Typical night out for you, Ethos?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:01 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have tattoos and I don't get drunk so throwing up in taxis isn't something that has happened to me (yet). I have consoled drunk girls in taxis if that helps. Once this Pakistani girl was with me and she'd vomited all over the taxi seat whilst coming back from Buddha bar. I managed to get her off at her villa but the taxi driver started shouting at me about the vomit. I did feel bad about the mess and offered him the 50 AED that it would cost to take the car through the Emarat car wash and vaccum, but he started demanding 1,000 AED to clean the car or he'd call the police.

At that point the car was waiting at a light in Jumeira and I threw the 20 AED to cover the ride on the seat and hopped out of the car and ran into one of the walkways between villas and successfully disappeared into the maze of Jumeira streets and paths. It was 3 AM in the morning.

Walked the three or so km back to my villa. Man, I was beat.

Lesson: never go out with Pakistani girls.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Typical night out for you, Ethos?

Last edited by Ethos83; Oct 12th 2010 at 8:08 am.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have tattoos and I don't get drunk so throwing up in taxis isn't something that has happened to me (yet). I have consoled drunk girls in taxis if that helps. Once this Pakistani girl was with me and she'd vomited all over the taxi seat whilst coming back from Buddha bar. I managed to get off with her at her villa but the taxi driver started shouting at me about the vomit. I did feel bad about the mess and offered him the 50 AED that it would cost to take the car through the Emarat car wash and vaccum, but he started demanding 1,000 AED to clean the car or he'd call the police.

At that point the car was waiting at a light in Jumeira and I threw the 20 AED to cover the ride on the seat and hopped out of the car and ran into one of the walkways between villas and successfully disappeared into the maze of Jumeira streets and paths. It was 3 AM in the morning.

a couple of minor changes to reflect the actual event.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

, but he started demanding 1,000 AED to clean the car or he'd call the police.
There is a serious note to this though. If you are in this situation and the police are called they will side with the taxi driver. Things get nasty from there on.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:57 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

What d'you think it was that prompted the vomit?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:58 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Have they stopped doing the "Double fare or I call the police, you not have liquor licence' bit? Heard of this wee scam happening a while back, but nothing lately...
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:00 am
Hit 16's

Sorry Ben, we've sorta hijacked your thread. But bear with us, you'll learn a bit from the insults we trade, and eventually someone might actually post something that addresses your question. But you should be getting the drift by now that the UK gutter press seek to paint this place very black, whereas we all tend to manage to paint the town red most weekends.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
What d'you think it was that prompted the vomit?
Possibly, just possibly...

Ben - you will be fine mate. Only advice is: don't get caught pissed in public, never drink and drive, don't bounce a cheque and try not to blow all your money on being blown.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:41 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Possibly, just possibly...

Ben - you will be fine mate. Only advice is: don't get caught pissed in public, never drink and drive, don't bounce a cheque and try not to blow all your money on being blown.
Forget Baz Luhrman, that is the Dubai version of Sunscreen!!!!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

I have tattoos and I don't get drunk every day so throwing up in taxis isn't something that has happened to me (this week). I have taken advantage of drunk girls in taxis which always helps. Once this Pakistani girl was with me and she'd vomited all over the taxi seat whilst I was coming, parked round the back of the Buddha bar. I managed to get her off but the taxi driver started shouting at me about the vomit. I didn't feel bad about the mess and offered him the 5 AED that it would cost to take the car through the Emarat car wash and vaccum, but he started demanding 1,000 AED to clean the car or he'd call the police.

At that point this hooker was waiting at a light in Jumeira and I threw the 20 AED to cover the ride on the seat and hopped out of the car and ran into her arms. We ended up in one of the walkways between villas. It was 3 AM in the morning.

I've made a few changes to reflect how I met my future wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.