Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Young family coming to Abu Dhabi. Al Reem, Khalidya or Al reef?????? HELP PLEASE

Young family coming to Abu Dhabi. Al Reem, Khalidya or Al reef?????? HELP PLEASE

Old Jan 14th 2013, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

expathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant future
Default Young family coming to Abu Dhabi. Al Reem, Khalidya or Al reef?????? HELP PLEASE

Hi guys,

I've read lots of threads before posting this but need a bit of help please.

My little family (young(ish) wife and daughter) are looking for places to live in Abu Dhabi. Ideally, we want to be in a nice expat community with fellow Brits, I think the worse thing that could happen to us would be to move into a place that made my wife feel isolated as I'll be away for days at a time. We've been looking at Al reem as the places look amazing, but a few have said its little more than a construction site. Is it that bad? I tend to think long term and will it not be amazing when it's done? Not that that matters because we don't want to be there if we're the only Brits.

I've heard someone say a lot of fellow countrymen live in Al Reef and Khalifa City A, is it nice there? Are there certain parts of Al reef to avoid?. What about Khalidya? Any Brits or westerners there?.

I think I should point out the Mrs wants to be by the sea and be near everything as crucially, she doesn't drive!!! I know this will have a big impact on where we decide to go.

Sorry for going on, but advice from people on the ground would be great. I saw one comment on a thread that said the people who live in Al Reef only do so because they can't afford to live on island, thought that was a bit harsh and probably not true at all, in fact a bit nasty!! Oh yeah, forgot to say my allowance is 110,000 AED. Not great but enough I imagine.

Thanks in advance guys :-)

Last edited by expathopeful; Jan 14th 2013 at 7:49 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 1:26 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young family coming to Abu Dhabi. Al Reem, Khalidya or Al reef?????? HELP PLEASE

Originally Posted by expathopeful
Hi guys,

My little family (young(ish) wife and daughter) are looking for places to live in Abu Dhabi. Ideally, we want to be in a nice expat community with fellow Brits, I think the worse thing that could happen to us would be to move into a place that made my wife feel isolated as I'll be away for days at a time. We've been looking at Al reem as the places look amazing, but a few have said its little more than a construction site. Is it that bad? I tend to think long term and will it not be amazing when it's done? Not that that matters because we don't want to be there if we're the only Brits.

I've heard someone say a lot of fellow countrymen live in Al Reef and Khalifa City A, is it nice there? Are there certain parts of Al reef to avoid?. What about Khalidya? Any Brits or westerners there?.

I think I should point out the Mrs wants to be by the sea and be near everything as crucially, she doesn't drive!!! I know this will have a big impact on where we decide to go.

Sorry for going on, but advice from people on the ground would be great. I saw one comment on a thread that said the people who live in Al Reef only do so because they can't afford to live on island, thought that was a bit harsh and probably not true at all, in fact a bit nasty!! Oh yeah, forgot to say my allowance is 110,000 AED. Not great but enough I imagine.

Khalidiya or somewhere along the Corniche is your best option in my opinion. Whilst Reem is still being built you would find taxis hard to come by. Reef and Khalifah A are just too far out, with very few facilities. Khalidiyah has some nice shops, cafes and a decent mall and is a 10 minute walk to the free public beach. It is very much viewed as the 'posh' end of town.

When viewing don't get fooled by facilities that are to 'open soon'. There have been shops 'opening soon' in Reem for a couple of years now.

I don't believe there is a British community as such anywhere. People live all over the city and so wherever you choose you will find some Brits nearby. There are plenty of expats who choose to live in Khalifah A but it feels barren and soulless to me. Plus you would need a car to get anywhere there. I agree with the comment that people choose Khalifah A or Reef due to price, not location. If you could get the same housing in AD centre for the same cost then it is a no brainer. As it is Reef housing is around a third cheaper than AD due to the fact it is 30 minutes out of town and has very few facilities (although lots of facilities are coming soon)
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young family coming to Abu Dhabi. Al Reem, Khalidya or Al reef?????? HELP PLEASE

Hi guys,

Sweetie..there is nothing nasty in this comment, it is a fact, people cannot always afford to live in the more desirable locations..same in any country darling! You have no idea how things work out here so don't be so quick to judge! ..also 110,000k is not a great allowance, especially in AD. You also seem to be a bit blinkered about living with British expats.. broaden your views a bit.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

raining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to all

Khalidyah would be best out of these if your wife doesn't drive. It is one of the more expensive areas though and your budget wouldn't be enough. Al Reem does look like a construction site, it will be years before it's done but I know several people who live there and they love their apartments and proximity to the city. There is also a big Waitrose there and a few restaurants and coffee shops. Although I live off island, it's essential to drive. If I didn't enjoy driving (and for this place, read 'tolerate') I wouldn't entertain it. Al Reef is just a bit too far out, I'd rule it out for the fact that your wife doesn't drive. I hear it's a very family friendly community though and I do know people who live there. Have a look on AbuDhabiWoman where there are quite a few threads on living in Al Reef and Al Reem.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Sweetie..there is nothing nasty in this comment, it is a fact, people cannot always afford to live in the more desirable locations..same in any country darling! You have no idea how things work out here so don't be so quick to judge! ..also 110,000k is not a great allowance, especially in AD. You also seem to be a bit blinkered about living with British expats.. broaden your views a bit.
totally agree with patsy. people if they could afford to would live in the nice expensive villas on the island as its more convenient, but not everyone can. its like living in the suburbs of london, not all people cannot afford to live in a 2 million pound house! it definately wasnt nasty, it was a FACT.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

expathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant futureexpathopeful has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Young family coming to Abu Dhabi. Al Reem, Khalidya or Al reef?????? HELP PLEASE

Thanks guys, some really good advice and just what I was looking for, wasn't looking to ruffle feathers though so apologies to Patsy, I must have misinterpreted what I read and thanks for the info too. I'll get her to register on the Abu dhabi women site and ask around.

I think it would be wise to get my wife a driving license before we come over, that would open up quite a lot for us.

Again, much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2013, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, some really good advice and just what I was looking for, wasn't looking to ruffle feathers though so apologies to Patsy, I must have misinterpreted what I read and thanks for the info too. I'll get her to register on the Abu dhabi women site and ask around.

I think it would be wise to get my wife a driving license before we come over, that would open up quite a lot for us.

Again, much appreciated.

Thanks
No problem darling
I would definitely suggest that your wife takes her driving test before she comes, don't do it out here it would be a nightmare!. I couldn't imagine not being able to drive here, it is essential. Good luck
Old Jan 15th 2013, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

if you land up in al reef which you may well do with 110k, you will need a car. its expensive here to learn to drive, and in the past it could take you 10 times to pass the exam...... do a "crash course" in the uk, also you learn to do a manual where here its usually all autos.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by busybee2
if you land up in al reef which you may well do with 110k, you will need a car. its expensive here to learn to drive, and in the past it could take you 10 times to pass the exam...... do a "crash course" in the uk, also you learn to do a manual where here its usually all autos.
You can opt to take an auto test in the UK which will be easier. She will be driving an auto here anyway
Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

MAMMY_ALEX is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi expathopeful,

I'm watching this thread as you have all the same questions and sound like we're looking at the same areas/same budget etc so good to see what's posted in reply. I'm thinking live on the island not further out, but need to think about nurseries and schools nearby! So much to think about isn't there...

x
Old Jan 15th 2013, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
You can opt to take an auto test in the UK which will be easier. She will be driving an auto here anyway
yep you can, but then you are stuck with autos for ever and they are more expensive to buy and rent too in the uk etc
Old Jan 15th 2013, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MAMMY_ALEX
Hi expathopeful,

I'm watching this thread as you have all the same questions and sound like we're looking at the same areas/same budget etc so good to see what's posted in reply. I'm thinking live on the island not further out, but need to think about nurseries and schools nearby! So much to think about isn't there...

x
live on island with 110k will be a very old apartment.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MAMMY_ALEX
Hi expathopeful,

x
Hi Alex, im lthe husband of the wife you've been emailing........ small world :-) but yes it seems we have all the same questions. Thanks for all your input guys, if you can think of anything else your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 11:44 am
Just Joined

fuliloaded is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Expathopeful l'm new-ish to Abu Dhabi too. Saw a few villas in Al Reef (around 110 000 to 115 000) decent sized rooms and 3 bedrooms. My worry was that it seemed far from town and although there's no much to do in the meantime the area is developing. Khalifa A is great (good schools and new -very large- Spar but you might struggle finding a place with your budget. I ended up getting a 2 bed place at Al Muneera for 120 000.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 11:45 am
Just Joined

fuliloaded is an unknown quantity at this point

Khalifa B (a bit far) has large properties at affordable rates.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.