Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Young couple investigating

Young couple investigating

Old Mar 28th 2012, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

KORA3112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Young couple investigating

A few of my friends have moved to dubai for the opportunities, lifestyle and a happier life. They couldn't of been more happier with their move.

Me and my partner are looking into possibility of moving to Dubai. We have heard so many greats things about the place, and no not because the streets are laced with gold but for the sheer more enjoyment in life and the opportunities given within Dubai. He is a Graphic Designer and myself work as a manager in vehicle safety which I dont think would bring with me to Dubai. I would possibly look for work with fitness/training, within the racing world being a ex (non racing) jockey or aviation - all these being something I have inspired to pursue. Is this doable?

We have roughly £4k saved up, how much would we need to set up over there? We aren't home owners so have that advantage.

Help appreciated.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:06 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young couple investigating

Do have a read of other threads. You need to have jobs to stay here and GBP 4,000 is very little, as set up costs are high.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:09 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of graphic designer?

Both of you do jobs which are usually taken by much lower paid Indians/Filipinos etc. Certainly in the media most graphics people aren't highly paid expats.

Your image of Dubai sounds very rose tinted to be honest. I'd research the recruitment possibilities of each job more thoroughly - check out salaries, benefits etc. And then make realistic plans, taking into account that your outgoingS will be more here. If you have kids they will be considerably more.

Life can be good in Dubai but can also be a struggle. It really isn't Shangri-La and you need to be prepared to leave FAST if things go wrong. Which they can do with an astonishing regularity. I think there is a saying along the lines of "it's good until it isn't."

Plan, research and come with eyes wide open.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

We would have more, roughly 60-80,000AED

I have read posts, wanted to know if jobs like these are available?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lullabelle
What kind of graphic designer?

Both of you do jobs which are usually taken by much lower paid Indians/Filipinos etc. Certainly in the media most graphics people aren't highly paid expats.

Your image of Dubai sounds very rose tinted to be honest. I'd research the recruitment possibilities of each job more thoroughly - check out salaries, benefits etc. And then make realistic plans, taking into account that your outgoingS will be more here. If you have kids they will be considerably more.

Life can be good in Dubai but can also be a struggle. It really isn't Shangri-La and you need to be prepared to leave FAST if things go wrong. Which they can do with an astonishing regularity. I think there is a saying along the lines of "it's good until it isn't."

Plan, research and come with eyes wide open.
Thank you for your feeback
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:24 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a thought - why not establish some contacts/work before you decide to come?

My brother is a 3d and motion effects designer and does freelance work for middle east companies from his home in the UK. It's a bugger - they take forever to pay (he's owed ... Wait for it... 20 grand from middle east companies at the moment. Sometimes he flies over to Dubai and just sits in offices until they pay him. Since he looks like a bouncer, it seems to work) You need to price per day not per job (as there are always so many changes) but it would be a way of getting some work and networking before you decide.

There's a good media site which I can't for the life of me remember but it lists all the companies and agencies - might be worth a look and a try. If it comes to me or I get their newsletter in the next day or two I'll post a link.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KORA3112
Me and my partner
I'm guessing from this that you are not a married couple? If so, this will cause some problems with Visas if one of you were to get a job before the other.

Also, whilst largely flouted it is technically illegal for a non-married couple to live together, again something to be aware of and considered as you research.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:30 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KORA3112
We would have more, roughly 60-80,000AED

I have read posts, wanted to know if jobs like these are available?
There are graphic designer jobs, but no significant demand for any more than we have here already. If you can get a job with a decent agency, depending on your experience and skill, you are probably looking at a salary of AED 20-30k per month, all in. Your best best is to do some research and contact agencies directly.

I note you use the term 'partner'. Be aware that cohabiting is illegal. Plenty do it, pretendng to be married, but there is always a risk attached.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lullabelle
Just as a thought - why not establish some contacts/work before you decide to come?

My brother is a 3d and motion effects designer and does freelance work for middle east companies from his home in the UK. It's a bugger - they take forever to pay (he's owed ... Wait for it... 20 grand from middle east companies at the moment. Sometimes he flies over to Dubai and just sits in offices until they pay him. Since he looks like a bouncer, it seems to work) You need to price per day not per job (as there are always so many changes) but it would be a way of getting some work and networking before you decide.

There's a good media site which I can't for the life of me remember but it lists all the companies and agencies - might be worth a look and a try. If it comes to me or I get their newsletter in the next day or two I'll post a link.
That would be hugely appreciated!!!!!

Thank you for everyones comments so far, very helpful.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 2:35 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

ITP pay on average around AED15,000 a month for white designers.

Once you've got some experience under your belt, it's fairly easy to move around though - provided you've gotten past the first 12 months and don't owe the company anything.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

In 22 minutes you went from GBP 4k to AED 60 - 80,000 (over GBP 10k).

Can you let me into the secret as to how this can be done?
Old Mar 31st 2012, 3:48 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Please - someone shoot me now, or tell me that the OP is either a troll or not a native English speaker. Please.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Please - someone shoot me now, or tell me that the OP is either a troll or not a native English speaker. Please.
I have a feeling that a gun is not necessary, the two other options looking like a good guess.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 1:02 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
I have a feeling that a gun is not necessary, the two other options looking like a good guess.
'the laced with gold' and generally bad grammar kind of gave it away.

although i'm still hoping as i have been looking to hire someone to be my personal oompa loompa and surely being an ex (non racing) jockey makes them perfect for the job. of course they need to be good singers as well though..