Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Yikes. I might be moving to KSA!

Yikes. I might be moving to KSA!

Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all
Default Re: Yikes. I might be moving to KSA!

Originally Posted by benzonar
If you don't already dive, then make sure you learn.

The West coast of KSA is fantastic for diving, especially up at Yanbu.

Jeddah has some good sites as well, the Al Bilad hotel private beach is very good. I'm off to the East coast for a few months in Oct, at least I will be a stones throw from Bahrain.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.
Hey thanks for that. I've always wanted to learn to dive but it never occured to me to learn out there. My wife recently went to Tunisia on hols and she went diving there. Funny thing is she cant even swim! Well im sure she'll be happy at the prospect.

I've heard life on the east cost is good, what with Bahrain up the road (literally). Well i've lived in Riyadh, so im hoping Jeddah is a bit more relaxed.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

I think Jeddah can be quite relaxed. I think KSA probably has easily some of the best diving in the world, many of the reefs are still to be discovered and are pristine.

The other thing to look out for in Jeddah is the roundabouts, they have all sorts of weird and wacky ones dotted around. I think there is one on the way from the airport with a 1970s Mini on top of it.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

maranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to allmaranelloman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by benzonar
I think Jeddah can be quite relaxed. I think KSA probably has easily some of the best diving in the world, many of the reefs are still to be discovered and are pristine.

The other thing to look out for in Jeddah is the roundabouts, they have all sorts of weird and wacky ones dotted around. I think there is one on the way from the airport with a 1970s Mini on top of it.
I a bit worried about the driving there to be honest. As mentioned in a previous thread i'll be looking to get a Ferrari, but im worried about the other drivers. Maybe a 4x4 is better, or perhaps both. But I was only planning on having one car as my wife wont be driving (obviously).
Old Sep 18th 2007, 4:49 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maranelloman
I a bit worried about the driving there to be honest. As mentioned in a previous thread i'll be looking to get a Ferrari, but im worried about the other drivers. Maybe a 4x4 is better, or perhaps both. But I was only planning on having one car as my wife wont be driving (obviously).
Unless you are simply commuting to/from work on a main road, I wouldn't get anything flash and sporty. They have umpteen potholes and, whenever it rains (usually 2-3 times a year), the roads get flooded, often several feet deep. Avoid the industrial areas and the Mecca Highway, where all the trucks go. The roundabouts are perfectly fine to negotiate. Just expect lots of random Police checkpoints so ensure you have all your documents with you at all times. Its a Police state really, but that means its generally pretty safe.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lionheart
Unless you are simply commuting to/from work on a main road, I wouldn't get anything flash and sporty. They have umpteen potholes and, whenever it rains (usually 2-3 times a year), the roads get flooded, often several feet deep. Avoid the industrial areas and the Mecca Highway, where all the trucks go. The roundabouts are perfectly fine to negotiate. Just expect lots of random Police checkpoints so ensure you have all your documents with you at all times. Its a Police state really, but that means its generally pretty safe.
Thanks Lionheart.