British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Yes - another debt problem! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/yes-another-debt-problem-690699/)

roadster1 Oct 23rd 2010 8:19 am

Yes - another debt problem!

Hi all;

You will all be sick and tired of hearing people post this sort of message I know, and I'm sorry I have to put you all through it again, but i'd appreciate your view on a situation I have.

In 2007 I lived in Dubai with my family. We'd been there for years and it was home. All settled; good school; great. I was CEO and in DIC licensing terms, General Manager, of a company owned by an offshore group.

To my horror, I woke up one morning to the realisation that the guy who owned the parent company had basically run out of cash, despite telling me that all was ok and promising that the next tranche of cash to support our expansion would be there any day etc etc.

Long story short, I had to close the business down quickly. No bounced cheques or any mess like that - I just had to shut the door as I couldnt do anything else.

Banking with Barclays would be simple as an individual I thought. How wrong can you be. I told my Premier Relationship Manager of my problem, and that all would be ok. We were committed to the Emirate and I was confident that I'd find something else. Anyway - I had cash to survive on for a while. That was all ok he said - thanks for keeping me in the loop etc etc.

I had just drawn down a rent loan and had a Barclaycard with a small balance. To my horror, when I went to use the ATM it swallowed my card. On enquiring with the bank I found that they had frozen my account, used all m money to pay a chunk of the rent loan back and left me high and dry. I challenged them and they explained that it was 'procedure'.

Confident that I would find another job, we started to use my Emirates Bank and First Gulf Bank cards to survive. Stupid in hindsight but I had a number of good job opp's on the go and was certain it would be ok.

Anyway, you guessed it, things did not come right. One day Emirates Bank simply said that they were going to bank my security cheque as I could not settle the full balance today. I tried to come to an agreement with them, but because I had no job they would bank the cheque. "You have no salary - how can you pay us a monthly amount - so we'll bank your security cheque instead." Insane.

So, bottom line was that I got me and my family the hell out, and we returned to our home country. My intention always was to secure employment, settle the debt and return. I then had a serious accident and found myself in hospital for 5 months. It never rains but.....

So, I now have a good job and want to start chipping away at the debt I left behind. Trouble is, the banks dont want to talk. I'm certain that they have all just opened cases and thats that - they will wait for the Police to get me and then they'll talk, but I want to hit it head on and deal with it.

The guy I mentioned earlier in my post is under trial at the moment. I gave evidence and have been pursued by some unsavoury characters ever since, so we've been thinking of changing our name. Actually, the Police advised that but it feels like running away.....

1. I want to pay the debt
2. I want to return to the UAE.

How should I check what the state of an cases against me are?

If we did change our name, would that mean I could get back into the country to at least drive things from within, even if its not me actually going to the banks etc?

Does a different name and passport get me around airport issues? If it did, I could at least get into the country and start sorting my issues out - it would be easier to manage if I were local.

Before anyone lambasts me for being a bad dude and bouncing a cheque - please note my difference: I'm actually trying to get back to pay my debts off.....

Keen for your thoughts all. Sorry to ramble. Thanks for reading.

kittycat1 Oct 23rd 2010 10:38 am

Re: Yes - another debt problem!

WOW I have absolutely no idea, but if you make it back in I'll buy you a drink!

Good Luck!

Kittycat

co durham boy Oct 23rd 2010 11:03 am

I've heard of a lot of people desperate to get out but not to get back in . First of all i wouldn't put my liberty in jeopardy to banks in the U.A.E for any reason ever.

I would try and do everything from outside the country as these people will just lock you up fella.
There's a lot of people that have genuine cases to sort out and there are also people who have just done a runner as well.

I try not to judge as i'm not in that position but the banking laws and criminal cases filed against these are prehistoric and outdated , they have no place in any court in the world except in this backward place.

Good luck

rhrhrh Oct 23rd 2010 11:42 am

It is practically impossible to negotiate with the bank's collection departments whilst in the UAE so I would forget even trying to talk to them from afar.

Without criticizing you, I tried to ' do the right thing' after redundancy and stay here and pay things off, but instead I spent best part of the year in prison. Now I wish I had got out as many others have.

The main problem lies with the poorly educated, semi literate, commision based faceless collection staff who wield the threat of police case at every opportunity. Assuming that the bank would want their money back rather than throw someone in the jail is a mistake I and many others have made

If you really want to clear the banks, then find and contact someone senior at the bank, preferably Emirati who hopefully will instruct the collection department to try and settle with you.

But do not come near the UAE if there are pending cases, the police at airport have no choice but to detain you and then you are caught in the system.

If they have made cases, and you settle, you need a release letter from the bank, that has been processed and stamped by the judicial court, in your hand (original copy) before getting on a plane.

Do you really want to come back??? If not, The banks claim a large percentage of the money you owe from their insurance company so I wouldnt feel too bad for them, if its your conscience, its applaudable but I would suggest giving the money to a charity or deserving cause instead.

GL

roadster1 Oct 24th 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks for your feedback all. I have to say it is a dilemma. I guess one of my main worries is whether or not I am safe to travel anywhere in the region.

I suppose I'd better start by getting a local lawyer to enquire with the system to see if and what is registered against me, and just go from there.

Its just that feeling of always having to look over your shoulder that drives me to wanting; needing to settle things off and to doing the so called right thing. I have to say thouhgh that it is clear from dealings to date that they dont want the money, just revenge. They are actually only focussed on locking people up, and not settling. Quite perverse really when you hear the Dubai 'stories' in the press from afar.

Anyway - thanks again. Keen to hear of any other views out there of course.

All the best.

lionheart Oct 25th 2010 5:02 am

The phrase "once bitten twice shy" springs to mind here. Why on earth would you want to risk everything by returning? Surely the last experience would have taught you something. I would try somewhere else if I were you.

Blue Cat Oct 25th 2010 7:51 am

I am with the others and can't see why you want to come back into the UAE, once you have saved up enough cash to clear every single debts, then apply for a new passort in a different name and give it a bash. Good luck

Jim Smith Oct 25th 2010 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8940424)
I am with the others and can't see why you want to come back into the UAE, once you have saved up enough cash to clear every single debts, then apply for a new passort in a different name and give it a bash. Good luck

Not if he has previously done the iris scan tho'!!!!!!!!!

Blue Cat Oct 25th 2010 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Jim Smith (Post 8940593)
Not if he has previously done the iris scan tho'!!!!!!!!!

valid point, in that case he can have an eye transplant and return :rofl:

Norm_uk Oct 25th 2010 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8940424)

Perhaps I'm innocent but how do you apply for a passport with a different name? Change your name legally?

Maybe I am missing something...

N.

Blue Cat Oct 25th 2010 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 8940813)
Perhaps I'm innocent but how do you apply for a passport with a different name? Change your name legally?

Maybe I am missing something...

N.

yes, add Mother's maiden name :)

Ethos83 Oct 25th 2010 12:33 pm

and join the wonderful, exclusive club of the double-barrelled.

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 8940848)
yes, add Mother's maiden name :)

Millhouse Oct 25th 2010 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8940897)
and join the wonderful, exclusive club of the double-barrelled.

you are double barrelled aren't you?

Ethos83 Oct 25th 2010 12:58 pm

*keeps mouth firmly shut*

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8940918)
you are double barrelled aren't you?

Bahtatboy Oct 25th 2010 2:13 pm

I was triple-barrelled this morning, first by a Yemeni, then by a Philipino and then by a bloke in a dress. Drive a VW: mine was relatively unscathed, the Corolla that went into me is probably a write-off, the Yank camper thingy that went into the Corolla was pretty smashed, and the pick-up at the back of the queue was a right bloody mess. Felt all 3 impacts.