Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Yellow Fever Vaccination

Yellow Fever Vaccination

Old Mar 6th 2014, 5:13 am
  #31  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 9
james83anderson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination

Thanks mate
james83anderson is offline  
Old May 13th 2014, 7:35 am
  #32  
Token Scandinavian Bloke
 
norsk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,820
norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination

I got the Yellow Fever vaccine in Barsha Medical Centre (next to Barsha Mall) this morning so the shortage seems to be over.

Paid 200 dibs for the vaccine. We had to get advice on what vaccines were needed from a doctor hence we paid another 150 dibs per person for the consultation (not sure if this is always needed or not). The doc also gave us prescription for malaria pills which we collected in the on-site pharmacy.

Walk-in. Be aware it is cash only (and no ATM available).
norsk is offline  
Old May 13th 2014, 8:44 am
  #33  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination

Originally Posted by norsk
I got the Yellow Fever vaccine in Barsha Medical Centre (next to Barsha Mall) this morning so the shortage seems to be over.

Paid 200 dibs for the vaccine. We had to get advice on what vaccines were needed from a doctor hence we paid another 150 dibs per person for the consultation (not sure if this is always needed or not). The doc also gave us prescription for malaria pills which we collected in the on-site pharmacy.

Walk-in. Be aware it is cash only (and no ATM available).
for malaria and travel vaccines they will always send you to see the doc first.
busybee2 is offline  
Old May 13th 2014, 8:44 am
  #34  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination

which malaria pills did they prescribe?
busybee2 is offline  
Old May 13th 2014, 9:24 am
  #35  
Token Scandinavian Bloke
 
norsk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,820
norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination

Originally Posted by busybee2
which malaria pills did they prescribe?
they asked what i wanted, but since i am going for 3 weeks and have two small kids we went with mefloquine as you take it weekly. malarone would have cost an absolute fortune..I'm sure she said 40 dibs per tablet (and each person would need 30)...
norsk is offline  
Old May 13th 2014, 10:34 am
  #36  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination

Originally Posted by norsk
they asked what i wanted, but since i am going for 3 weeks and have two small kids we went with mefloquine as you take it weekly. malarone would have cost an absolute fortune..I'm sure she said 40 dibs per tablet (and each person would need 30)...
malarone is expensive but its the only one that i would take.... have taken larim in the past horrible side affects, and my doc here said stay away. yes when i was looking at malarone only available poss in dxb, 500dhs to see the doc to do the prescription and it would then be like another 700dhs or something for the pills for like 1 weeks course etc.. very expensive but worth it no side affects, couldnt take the other 2 larim and doxcycline because of medical issues and i wouldnt. i would still go with malarone you can get a adult and a childs version of it... i know people that lived in africa and thats what they swear by. in the end i got from the uk, much cheaper.
busybee2 is offline  
Old May 13th 2014, 10:34 am
  #37  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination

i know in auh at skmc they give out larim for free.
busybee2 is offline  
Old May 13th 2014, 11:03 am
  #38  
Token Scandinavian Bloke
 
norsk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,820
norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination

Originally Posted by busybee2
malarone is expensive but its the only one that i would take.... have taken larim in the past horrible side affects, and my doc here said stay away. yes when i was looking at malarone only available poss in dxb, 500dhs to see the doc to do the prescription and it would then be like another 700dhs or something for the pills for like 1 weeks course etc.. very expensive but worth it no side affects, couldnt take the other 2 larim and doxcycline because of medical issues and i wouldnt. i would still go with malarone you can get a adult and a childs version of it... i know people that lived in africa and thats what they swear by. in the end i got from the uk, much cheaper.
If it was a 1 week trip yes I probably would go for malarone as the cost wouldn't be too bad, but it would cost me 1200 dirham per person (according to what the doctor said) and this just isn't going to happen plus getting kids to take a pill every day is a nightmare waiting to happen...

I'm aware of the possible side effects, but let's see what happens. If necessary we will have to switch.

Crap. I'm already paranoid and I haven't even taken a single tablet yet. I'm looking at Malarone or generic variant prices in UK and here. Going to go to a pharmacy after work just to check. 40 dirhams sounds a lot...You can get them online (with prescription) in the UK for 80 quid for a 30 tablets. Kids need a smaller dose so would work out a total cost of approx 200 quid which is fine. I would pay that...

I lived in Kenya as a kid and I am sure we took Lariam for the entire 5 years. Might be why my childhood was so great! :-)

Last edited by norsk; May 13th 2014 at 11:28 am.
norsk is offline  
Old May 13th 2014, 12:14 pm
  #39  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination

Originally Posted by norsk
If it was a 1 week trip yes I probably would go for malarone as the cost wouldn't be too bad, but it would cost me 1200 dirham per person (according to what the doctor said) and this just isn't going to happen plus getting kids to take a pill every day is a nightmare waiting to happen...

I'm aware of the possible side effects, but let's see what happens. If necessary we will have to switch.

Crap. I'm already paranoid and I haven't even taken a single tablet yet. I'm looking at Malarone or generic variant prices in UK and here. Going to go to a pharmacy after work just to check. 40 dirhams sounds a lot...You can get them online (with prescription) in the UK for 80 quid for a 30 tablets. Kids need a smaller dose so would work out a total cost of approx 200 quid which is fine. I would pay that...

I lived in Kenya as a kid and I am sure we took Lariam for the entire 5 years. Might be why my childhood was so great! :-)


yes i paid something like 80 gbp instead of something like 1200 dhs cost here. as long as you check which one is best, some people just take what they are given without checking, we couldnt take larim then we looked at doxi again couldnt take so we had to bite the bullet and pay for malarone... even if it was 1200dhs x 2 i would still pay it to be better protected.
busybee2 is offline  
Old May 13th 2014, 12:15 pm
  #40  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination

Originally Posted by norsk
If it was a 1 week trip yes I probably would go for malarone as the cost wouldn't be too bad, but it would cost me 1200 dirham per person (according to what the doctor said) and this just isn't going to happen plus getting kids to take a pill every day is a nightmare waiting to happen...

I'm aware of the possible side effects, but let's see what happens. If necessary we will have to switch.

Crap. I'm already paranoid and I haven't even taken a single tablet yet. I'm looking at Malarone or generic variant prices in UK and here. Going to go to a pharmacy after work just to check. 40 dirhams sounds a lot...You can get them online (with prescription) in the UK for 80 quid for a 30 tablets. Kids need a smaller dose so would work out a total cost of approx 200 quid which is fine. I would pay that...

I lived in Kenya as a kid and I am sure we took Lariam for the entire 5 years. Might be why my childhood was so great! :-)
no it was something like that 30 or 40 dhs a tablet! of course you are going for 3 weeks so it will be a lot, it was a lot just for a weeks load remembering 2 days before and some afterwards too.
busybee2 is offline  
Old May 13th 2014, 12:17 pm
  #41  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 5,125
busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yellow Fever Vaccination

i have always used the proper one glaxo one etc as it was last year and then 2 years previous but look here

http://www.doctorfox.co.uk/anti-mala.../malarone.html
busybee2 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.