Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Yas Links to host Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship (golf)

Yas Links to host Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship (golf)

Old Oct 18th 2021, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yas Links to host Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship (golf)

Probably of zero interest to non-golfers among us but Yas Links taking European Tour event from Abu Dhabi Golf Club is big news.

https://www.europeantour.com/europea...-championship/

Personally I found Yas Links easiest of the three Championship courses in Abu Dhabi - although the last three holes are a challenge for an amateur. The pros should go low round there.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 6:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Yas Links to host Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship (golf)

Originally Posted by flares
Probably of zero interest to non-golfers among us but Yas Links taking European Tour event from Abu Dhabi Golf Club is big news.

https://www.europeantour.com/europea...-championship/

Personally I found Yas Links easiest of the three Championship courses in Abu Dhabi - although the last three holes are a challenge for an amateur. The pros should go low round there.
That is big news in fairness.

The ADGC had managed to get that tournament big though, the village, the bars, the bits around the course - in fairness, it had turned into an event we'd never miss and made the effort to go to. I'm sure they're gutted to lose it.

Yas Links though, different course, different proposition, more exciting scenery on telly and maybe more interesting golf. It's a wonderful course, last three are horrible (215yd par 3 into wind? Driver it is) but will be good to see pros play it.
I'm trying hard to think but there's not loads of space around the course in different areas to have big villages / fan areas etc. Might make it more about the golf which isn't a bad thing (despite what I said earlier).
Old Oct 19th 2021, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
That is big news in fairness.

I'm trying hard to think but there's not loads of space around the course in different areas to have big villages / fan areas etc. Might make it more about the golf which isn't a bad thing (despite what I said earlier).
There's a par-3 course that'll probably get mullered to get a fan village in there.

And it can get breezy in January so it could be a challenge. Still if conditions benign it'll be a putting competition.

Old Oct 22nd 2021, 5:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by flares
There's a par-3 course that'll probably get mullered to get a fan village in there.

And it can get breezy in January so it could be a challenge. Still if conditions benign it'll be a putting competition.
Spoke to a friend who’s in the know.
ADGC has been sold and they’ve given up the tournament for a year to change grass.

Set up at Yas will be terrible, two main stands apparently and as you suggest, they’ll tear it apart. He played with a middleish European player who shot 8 under from the tips whilst just having a laugh.