British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Xmas Lunch - where is recommended? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/xmas-lunch-where-recommended-645513/)

Bigtaff Dec 20th 2009 9:07 am

Xmas Lunch - where is recommended?

Does anyone know if its possible to get a reasonable and UK style traditional Xmas lunch here in Dubai in any of the hotels / restaurants please?

If so, where is recommended? Alcohol unimportant but would be nice! The lunch is the important bit :)

Meow Dec 20th 2009 11:08 am

Re: Xmas Lunch - where is recommended?

Practically every hotel offers a traditional Xmas lunch. Time out (magazine & website) has a list of places with prices.

-

rowell Dec 20th 2009 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8186891)
Practically every hotel offers a traditional Xmas lunch. Time out (magazine & website) has a list of places with prices.

-

You can also get the turkey n trimmings delivered to your apartment if that suits your needs better, several hotels/restaurants provide this facility, there are some recommendations in a couple of posts if you do a search.

liclgl Dec 20th 2009 6:05 pm

In these situations the way I've found that works for me is to fall on some expensive hotel, walk around it like it's my house...

Sometimes it takes more than one, to find one suitable. :thumbsup:

Inselaffen Dec 21st 2009 6:22 am

Al Qasr does a decent Christmas bruncg but wouldnt call it reasonable.

maybe somewhere like Waxy's will do one

Madam Medusa Dec 21st 2009 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 8188615)
Al Qasr does a decent Christmas bruncg but wouldnt call it reasonable.

yeah, but it's fully booked...

MM, xx

Bigtaff Dec 21st 2009 6:33 am

Anyone been to Spice Island? Its been heavily recommended to me but would like to know everyone elses thoughts. Taxi will be in order it seems, Im in JLT and the Spice Island is in Deira - cost for this, estimated?

Meow Dec 21st 2009 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Bigtaff (Post 8188638)
Anyone been to Spice Island? Its been heavily recommended to me but would like to know everyone elses thoughts. Taxi will be in order it seems, Im in JLT and the Spice Island is in Deira - cost for this, estimated?

You could try something radical like giving them a call...

Spice Island is chav central IMO. Vile place, lousy food.

-

Autonomy Dec 21st 2009 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8188943)
You could try something radical like giving them a call...

Spice Island is chav central IMO. Vile place, lousy food.

-

Similar but better is Market Place at JW Marriot... but as per Meow, there are better places to eat and a taxi from JLT to Deira will cost over 120dhs return.

Barbitana Dec 21st 2009 11:44 am

I'd go to the Apple restaurant in one of those twin towers

cheers,

Originally Posted by Bigtaff (Post 8186705)
Does anyone know if its possible to get a reasonable and UK style traditional Xmas lunch here in Dubai in any of the hotels / restaurants please?

If so, where is recommended? Alcohol unimportant but would be nice! The lunch is the important bit :)

Patsy Stoned Dec 22nd 2009 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8188629)
yeah, but it's fully booked...

MM, xx

1500 people apparently!! Thank goodness our table is inside MM, imagine if it is raining, how will they cope?

Millhouse Dec 23rd 2009 6:25 am

What's wrong with having chrimbo dinner at home?

I must admit, I couldn't think of anything worse than having it at a hotel with 100s of others in this place. It would be like school dinners with wannabies.

lionheart Dec 23rd 2009 7:00 am

Anyone else going to the Irish Village for Xmas lunch?

commander Dec 23rd 2009 8:49 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8193172)

I must admit, I couldn't think of anything worse than having it at a hotel with 100s of others in this place. It would be like school dinners with wannabies.

indeed. Ill be in Mangrove village with my family. After my morning cycle, ill be ready to tuck into all the great food that is available.

Couldnt think of anything worse than going out, especially in Dubai. I mean it will just be like every other frigging Friday brunch at Al Qasr..except more expensive.

but...no dishes......

Patsy Stoned Dec 23rd 2009 10:39 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8193172)

wtf is it always talking about "wannabies"??? How does going out for Christmas day Brunch make you a wannabe??? If you are going for brunch then you have it, not going but wanting to go makes it a "wannabe"

I always go out for Brunch..I live on my own and it is lovely to have Christmas day with friends and not have to do any of the work.

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8193334)
indeed. Ill be in Mangrove village with my family. After my morning cycle, ill be ready to tuck into all the great food that is available.

Couldnt think of anything worse than going out, especially in Dubai. I mean it will just be like every other frigging Friday brunch at Al Qasr..except more expensive.

but...no dishes......

Actually Brunch at Al Qasr is the same price as usual ...except much more

Also, I am sure it is ok for all you guys to prefer having lunch at home..it isn't you slaving over a hot turkey:D