British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Xmas Eve Holiday? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/xmas-eve-holiday-868644/)

mentalist Nov 30th 2015 9:34 am

Xmas Eve Holiday?

It seems that 24th December 2015 is the Prophet Mohammed's birthday, but he already celebrated one in January this year. Does anybody know if it has been officially confirmed as a day off for the private sector, not that many Westerners will be working anyway.

Millhouse Nov 30th 2015 10:11 am

Re: Xmas Eve Holiday?

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 11805048)
It seems that 24th December 2015 is the Prophet Mohammed's birthday, but he already celebrated one in January this year. Does anybody know if it has been officially confirmed as a day off for the private sector, not that many Westerners will be working anyway.

Mohammed's (PBUH) b'day happens only once a year. Yes, there will be two in our calendar.

Bahtatboy Nov 30th 2015 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11805058)
Mohammed's (PBUH) b'day happens only once a year. Yes, there will be two in our calendar.

But not celebrated in Saudi. Couldn't work that one out, although must admit couldn't really be arsed to ask...

Millhouse Nov 30th 2015 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11805064)
But not celebrated in Saudi. Couldn't work that one out, although must admit couldn't really be arsed to ask...

it's never celebrated in Saudi. They don't celebrate idols...

Bahtatboy Nov 30th 2015 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11805067)
it's never celebrated in Saudi. They don't celebrate idols...

That doesn't make it any clearer. PBUH.

Meow Nov 30th 2015 10:58 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 11805048)

It says 24/12 but as with any Islamic holiday it can change and it's too early for it to be confirmed.

That said, if gambling was permitted I'd bet all my shiny Dirham coins that this birthday will not start at sunset on 24th as that would mean that 25th would be dry and hotels would lose heaps of revenue as people won't want a dry lunch.
I reckon it'll be called for the evening of 23rd, ending early evening on 24th.

It'll be about profit not prophet.

Millhouse Nov 30th 2015 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11805080)
It says 24/12 but as with any Islamic holiday it can change and it's too early for it to be confirmed.

That said, if gambling was permitted I'd bet all my shiny Dirham coins that this birthday will not start at sunset on 24th as that would mean that 25th would be dry and hotels would lose heaps of revenue as people won't want a dry lunch.

It'll be about profit (PBUH) not prophet.

:lol:

co durham boy Dec 1st 2015 8:30 am

It's not celebrated in Qatar either . It's Wahabi doctrine mate , it's the reason the world is in turmoil .

Standanista Dec 4th 2015 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11805080)

It's clearly a difficult science to get right, best left to the experts. We missed out on a predicted day's Eid holiday earlier this year, you may recall.

It might mean a weekend in Cyprus if the 25th is declared dry. Definitely avoid Sri Lanka - pubs still shut in the afternoon in line with British tradition. They also have three-pin plugs and public service announcements about them in 1930s Received Pronunciation.

Moonsighting.com

Beakersful Dec 4th 2015 6:50 am

Shia celebrate it, not Sunni. Only really in certain areas does it become 'noticed' as it's kept low key. But there are big get togethers, feasts, and the young get really excited and drift more which is fun to attend.

Bahtatboy Dec 4th 2015 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 11807723)
Shia celebrate it, not Sunni. Only really in certain areas does it become 'noticed' as it's kept low key. But there are big get togethers, feasts, and the young get really excited and drift more which is fun to attend.

Drifting's fun to watch on YouTube. 'armless fun.

Jef3 Dec 6th 2015 10:56 am

Do you lot reckon it will Snow ? Jeff Abu D

Meow Dec 6th 2015 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jef3 (Post 11808830)
Do you lot reckon it will Snow ? Jeff Abu D

In one small area of Dubai, yes.

Tockalosh Dec 11th 2015 11:54 pm

[QUOTE=Standanista;11807703]It's. Definitely avoid Sri Lanka - pubs still shut in the afternoon in line with British tradition. They also have three-pin plugs and public service announcements about them in 1930s Received /QUOTE]

sounds wonderful and every reason to visit. A colleague who recently took his holiday there said of the country, " its everything India portrays itself to be in foreign advertising, but isn't in reality".

Millhouse Dec 12th 2015 4:56 am

[QUOTE=Tockalosh;11812799]

Originally Posted by Standanista (Post 11807703)
It's. Definitely avoid Sri Lanka - pubs still shut in the afternoon in line with British tradition. They also have three-pin plugs and public service announcements about them in 1930s Received /QUOTE]

sounds wonderful and every reason to visit. A colleague who recently took his holiday there said of the country, " its everything India portrays itself to be in foreign advertising, but isn't in reality".

It's a great place.