British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Would you still move to Qatar? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/would-you-still-move-qatar-901304/)

eastrunner Aug 7th 2017 3:18 pm

Would you still move to Qatar?

Despite the blockade and changes would you still move to Qatar from within the GCC?

Thanks

ER

fezzer Aug 7th 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Would you still move to Qatar?

Originally Posted by eastrunner (Post 12311386)
Despite the blockade and changes would you still move to Qatar from within the GCC?

Thanks

ER

Honestly, so long as its the right job offer, and you can put up with all the normal issues of living in Qatar, there's no reason not too. Inside the country you wouldn't realise that there was a blockade at all. The blocking of direct flights to Dubai/Abu Dhabi is a deal breaker for some but otherwise business as usual.

weasel decentral Aug 8th 2017 5:44 am

I wouldn't have fancied it much before and definitely not now. My concern wouldn't be about the current situation but the possibility that it could develop into a much worse situation.

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 8th 2017 5:50 am

"Good guys don't have to"

DXBtoDOH Aug 8th 2017 5:58 am

Only if you must.

Day to day life is fine. No real changes other than the disappearance of diet coke in cans (but can still get them in glass bottles, on and off). Dairy products are now mostly Turkish and tends to go off quickly. And no direct flights to the UAE, going via Muscat is usually 8-10 hours door to door.

The real reason for not moving to Qatar is the quality of life is below the UAE. It's fine, but it's boring, dusty and shitty. If the money is fantastic, go for it but accept the realities of the tradeoffs. The UAE, especially Dubai, has a certain je ne sais quoi that justifies being there and which does not exist in Qatar, a country that feels more like a purgatory where life and people go nowhere.

Millhouse Aug 8th 2017 7:11 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12311862)
Only if you must.

Day to day life is fine. No real changes other than the disappearance of diet coke in cans (but can still get them in glass bottles, on and off). Dairy products are now mostly Turkish and tends to go off quickly. And no direct flights to the UAE, going via Muscat is usually 8-10 hours door to door.

The real reason for not moving to Qatar is the quality of life is below the UAE. It's fine, but it's boring, dusty and shitty. If the money is fantastic, go for it but accept the realities of the tradeoffs. The UAE, especially Dubai, has a certain je ne sais quoi that justifies being there and which does not exist in Qatar, a country that feels more like a purgatory where life and people go nowhere.

Assuming that Qatar has the same summer slowdown, is anyone actually expected to return in September?

eastrunner Aug 8th 2017 7:20 am

Well currently in Muscat so contemplating?

DXBtoDOH Aug 8th 2017 7:38 am

I like the lack of traffic so I hope not.

But I suspect people will :( and tendering is picking up. Sort of.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12311880)
Assuming that Qatar has the same summer slowdown, is anyone actually expected to return in September?

FYI a lot if the Arab expats, especially the Egyptians, never went on their summer leave in fear of not being able to get back into the country.

DXBtoDOH Aug 8th 2017 7:40 am

I'd take Muscat over Doha like a shot.

I know Muscat is pretty quiet too but the countryside is fantastic if you love camping and exploring wadis, which I do.

Plus Dubai is a short flight or 5 hours drive away, great for weekends.

Last but not least, Omanis are far friendlier and real people than Qataris.

Originally Posted by eastrunner (Post 12311884)
Well currently in Muscat so contemplating?

mission Aug 8th 2017 9:22 am

Regardless of the current political climate...they'd have to double my salary for me to even remotely think about moving to Qatar...it truly is a sh*t hole

Millhouse Aug 8th 2017 9:30 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12311949)
Regardless of the current political climate...they'd have to double my salary for me to even remotely think about moving to Qatar...it truly is a sh*t hole

or they could offer you a 1/3 more and just tell you they doubled it. :lol:

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 8th 2017 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12311955)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

jam25mack Aug 8th 2017 10:37 am

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bad man!

Dubaiexile Aug 9th 2017 4:08 am

Mission is still thinking about that one!!!!!:rofl::rofl:

Miss Ann Thrope Aug 9th 2017 4:52 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12311894)
...if you love camping and exploring wadis, which I do.

Is that a euphemism? If it isn't, I think it should be (as an avid explorer of Omani wadis myself)...