Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Would you move to the UAE for less money ?

Would you move to the UAE for less money ?

Old Apr 25th 2018, 6:02 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you move to the UAE for less money ?

Plenty of nice women available in UAE, you don't have to be baws deep in tarts as some might suggest here. If you don't act like a potential axe murderer you'll be fine.

Though you might need to unload that last year before meeting anyone serious, you'll reek of desperation otherwise
Old Apr 25th 2018, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grimps
Yeah I’ve met a fair few of those types on my travels .
I remember my first week in Equatorial Guinea one of the old Texan Cowboys I was working with said to me ‘Son , be careful when you go into town, 3 out of 5 of those girls have HIV ‘
I use a condom 3 out of 5 times just to be safe ‘

I can hand on heart say I never slept with anyone during all the year I spent in West africa , most of the old guys I worked with wouldn’t be able to say the same.
To be honest I’d much rather meet a nice girl than have to pay for it , I’m still looking good for my age and reckon I’ve still got a bit of patter left in me.
I said to myself a long time ago I didn’t want to end up with a house in Thailand like most of them
You sound like a decent bloke and not one of the usual cliche. There are plenty of nice women here so it shouldn't be too difficult to meet one and what do you mean "still good looking for my age" 41 isn't old by any stretch! prime of our life age
Old Apr 25th 2018, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

You're in a rare position where taking a hefty pay cut to come to the UAE makes sense. You'd still be making a generous income especially for a single, you have your assets and investments back home. Go for it. Life is too short to be wasted in shitholes.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Grimps is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by reddiva
You sound like a decent bloke and not one of the usual cliche. There are plenty of nice women here so it shouldn't be too difficult to meet one and what do you mean "still good looking for my age" 41 isn't old by any stretch! prime of our life age
Ha ha I'm not sure I'm a nice guy , I've had my moments ...
Like others have said lifes too short to waste in shit holes , I'm wondering if I spent my best years chasing money in them
Old Apr 25th 2018, 6:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
You're in a rare position where taking a hefty pay cut to come to the UAE makes sense. You'd still be making a generous income especially for a single, you have your assets and investments back home. Go for it. Life is too short to be wasted in shitholes.
Im coming . My minds made up
Old Apr 25th 2018, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha I'm not sure I'm a nice guy , I've had my moments ...
Like others have said lifes too short to waste in shit holes , I'm wondering if I spent my best years chasing money in them
Beach
concerts
sporting events
Sitting on your balcony with a cold one as the sun goes down
Life is too short to waste!
Old Apr 25th 2018, 6:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Yeah I’ve met a fair few of those types on my travels .
I remember my first week in Equatorial Guinea one of the old Texan Cowboys I was working with said to me ‘Son , be careful when you go into town, 3 out of 5 of those girls have HIV ‘
I use a condom 3 out of 5 times just to be safe ‘

I can hand on heart say I never slept with anyone during all the years I spent in West africa , most of the old guys I worked with wouldn’t be able to say the same.
To be honest I’d much rather meet a nice girl than have to pay for it , I’m still looking good for my age and reckon I’ve still got a bit of patter left in me.
I said to myself a long time ago I didn’t want to end up with a house in Thailand like most of them
Exactly. They're the ones sat alone on rotation in a pub in Dubai chain smoking and counting blood vessels on their nose and telling you about their bank balance that they never get to spend. Nobody wants to be that guy.

Come to the UAE, chill out, have fun, enjoy life, still earn good money and still enjoy the comfort that years of working in shitpits has afforded you. Getting out and away from those rotations will present other opportunities in permanent / 'normal' jobs that might appeal too.

Good luck.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I agree with this - and I have worked in a number of crapholes like OP.

In this particular case, in OP's circumstances, I do think it makes sense.

With the ladies, one needs to be careful - yes a lot of nice ones around, but also STDs and gold diggers.

Good luck OP.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carcajou
I agree with this - and I have worked in a number of crapholes like OP.

In this particular case, in OP's circumstances, I do think it makes sense.

With the ladies, one needs to be careful - yes a lot of nice ones around, but also STDs and gold diggers.

Good luck OP.
Ive met a few of them back home

Cheers
Old Apr 25th 2018, 9:46 am
peterparker

Sabi Star is an unknown quantity at this point

You may not be financially that much worse off in UAE as you won't pay tax - which I expect you have to do if you spend most of your time off in UK in your current job.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sabi Star
You may not be financially that much worse off in UAE as you won't pay tax - which I expect you have to do if you spend most of your time off in UK in your current job.
Ive usually off set the country im working ins tax against my UK tax or ive stayed out the countryfor more than 90 days
A few years ago I recieved a letter from HMRC asking me to notify them If i ever return.
I do pay some tax on my houses I rent out but very little , I probably should have paid a lot more over the years so maybe a couple of years being a legit expat will do me some good
Old Apr 25th 2018, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Taz786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with your decision OP.

You seem to be making the right choice based on your circumstances and fortunate you're financially stable.

I want to try and change my mindset to enjoy the 'present' instead of constantly thinking about money but it's not easy. Especially now that I'm single again, I don't want to have regrets when looking back as i'm earning enough, doing well in my career and in good health.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Taz786
Good luck with your decision OP.

You seem to be making the right choice based on your circumstances and fortunate you're financially stable.

I want to try and change my mindset to enjoy the 'present' instead of constantly thinking about money but it's not easy. Especially now that I'm single again, I don't want to have regrets when looking back as i'm earning enough, doing well in my career and in good health.
Ive always been the same mate , I think because I came from a poorish working class background I've always chased the money.
Dont get me wrong I've had a good time and blown a fair bit on the usual stuff ( cars , watches , big house ) but I've never really enjoyed myself like I thought I would.
I'm in my 40s and I'm starting to think I'm not getting any younger and maybe its time to throw caution to the wind and have a good time.
Come to think about it I'm probably just starting my midlife crises
Old Apr 25th 2018, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You've come to the right place. Dubai has all you need, high rise housing, fast cars, overpriced drinks, top quality gyms and top quality gym snatch.

Don't look back. Text your mates selfies of your beach life while they are digging around the slums of pattaya on their rotation from nigeria.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Ive always been the same mate , I think because I came from a poorish working class background I've always chased the money.
Dont get me wrong I've had a good time and blown a fair bit on the usual stuff ( cars , watches , big house ) but I've never really enjoyed myself like I thought I would.
I'm in my 40s and I'm starting to think I'm not getting any younger and maybe its time to throw caution to the wind and have a good time.
does that mean when you get out here you'll be buying a porsche!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.