Reload this Page >

Woud like some advice....

Woud like some advice....

Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

j-girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Woud like some advice....

Hi all I'm Jaimie a 23 yr old mummy.
My partner may be applying for a job in Dubai.
I am not really sure of the details but have been told it is £35K-£40k per year with free home. Not sure about healthcare ect yet.
I know we will have to get married as we obviously aren't married yet but we have one daughter who is nearly 2 and I am 3 months pregnant.

I really just want to know if that sort of salary would be sufficent and if there are actualy many mum and baby groups there? What is the healthcare system like? His job will be in the atlantis palm hotel so not sure if the housing will be in the hotel or an apartment near by???
I have never been to Dubai before but will go over with our daughter before OH accepts the job, if he gets it lol!

Any advice welcome.

Thanks, Jaimie!
Old Jul 30th 2011, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Woud like some advice....

Originally Posted by j-girl
I am not really sure of the details but have been told it is £35K-£40k per year with free home. Not sure about healthcare ect yet.
I know we will have to get married as we obviously aren't married yet but we have one daughter who is nearly 2 and I am 3 months pregnant.

I really just want to know if that sort of salary would be sufficent and if there are actualy many mum and baby groups there? What is the healthcare system like? His job will be in the atlantis palm hotel so not sure if the housing will be in the hotel or an apartment near by???
I have never been to Dubai before but will go over with our daughter before OH accepts the job, if he gets it lol!

Any advice welcome.

Thanks, Jaimie!
Jaimie 1stly, welcome to the Bored.. If you use the search function at the top of the page you will find numerous threads dealing with all your questions if you also look at
http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/topics.aspx?ForumID=23
there are lots of mother and brat gatherings.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Any advice welcome.

Thanks, Jaimie!
Perhaps not very useful info, but I have known a few single people go out on £30k packages to Bahrain + housing/medical insurance/Transport allowance+flights home twice a year. They've seemingly sustained an OK life, but Bahrain is cheaper in pretty much all aspects. Kids are pricey though..
Old Jul 30th 2011, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

So, the offer is between 17-20AED / month + housing

For a young family 17-20k is more than enough to live on. With the house/utilities/heath covered, I think you would spend no more than 10k / month and have a nice life. But, then there are the 'nice to haves'...

Schools & Nurseries. When the time comes expect to spend 20-35k AED / year for each child. So about 2-3k / month per child.

Car - budget for 2-3 k AED/ month all in.

Quality of healthcare, schools, food etc is all fine. You will have to look, but you will find mum groups. You won't be getting the midwife popping around after the birth for weekly checks though. Make sure they pay for the birth too - that is very expensive if you are having it here.

It really boils down to what the housing will be like - flat or house. In either case, try and get access to a pool (most do). When it's hot the kids can't do much else but swim.

I know people who work for Jumeriah who get housing + utilities etc. So check to see if the utilities are covered.

Can I ask how old Mr J-Girl is? I would say at your age this is a great opportunity and really shouldn't be missed...

Last edited by Millhouse; Jul 30th 2011 at 4:28 am.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

"...as we obviously aren't married yet..."

Why do you say 'obviously'? Just wondering.................
Old Jul 30th 2011, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
"...as we obviously aren't married yet..."

Why do you say 'obviously'? Just wondering.................
You've not been back to England for a while have you?
Old Jul 30th 2011, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You've not been back to England for a while have you?
My post was intended to be rhetorical, but I take your point............

Reminds me of that story of a jewellers in Manchester a few years ago that had a sale which included a "two for the price of one" deal on wedding rings.......
Old Jul 30th 2011, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Dean
Reminds me of that story of a jewellers in Manchester a few years ago that had a sale which included a "two for the price of one" deal on wedding rings.......
Is there a big Muslim population in Manchester?
Old Jul 30th 2011, 7:21 am
Just Joined

j-girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would like some advice....

I said obviously we arent married because if we were I wouldnt even be mentioning it would I

I'm not sure how much his company would pay for in regards to the birth, healthcare ect.
I kind of get the feeing they are hoping for a single bloke to get the job so they won't ave the expenses of sending a family.......
Simon (Mr J-Girl) is 31.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I said obviously we arent married because if we were I wouldnt even be mentioning it would I

I'm not sure how much his company would pay for in regards to the birth, healthcare ect.
I kind of get the feeing they are hoping for a single bloke to get the job so they won't ave the expenses of sending a family.......
Simon (Mr J-Girl) is 31.
Maybe... the accommodation will be the test!

As for healthcare - a birth costs something like 5-6 GBP all in so you do want this covered...

Well done Mr J-girl!
Old Jul 30th 2011, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Simon (Mr J-Girl) is 31.
If the Hotel are looking for a single guy then I think the accommodation will be in the Staff quarters. Most hotel have shared rooms and shared bathrooms, not really suitable for a family.
Unless Mr J is taking a senior managers position I don't think this will work for you.
I can't see them paying healthcare for a family nor nursery fees etc.
I think you need to clarify the offer and postion. Make sure your t's are crossed and i's dotted before you commit to anything.
Once you know everything come back and ask again.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 5:49 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

... and there's no way the insurance will pay for your antenatal and birth because they'll count it as a pre-existing condition. A couple of my friends found themselves in that situation. I'd be tempted to stay in the UK until after you give birth and then make the move.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Is there a big Muslim population in Manchester?
Have you not had the pleasure of visiting the curry mile? Sheesha bars as far as the eye can see. It's great to be able to smoke indoors during winter in the UK...not sure how they got around the no smoking regulation though..in fact, I even recall seeing a 'it is illegal to smoke on these premises' sticker on the door of one..
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

As for healthcare - a birth costs something like 5-6 GBP all in so you do want this covered...
must be cheap in Dubai, my insurance excess is 50dhs...
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Brains1983
must be cheap in Dubai, my insurance excess is 50dhs...
There is always one smart arse in the room. Go to the front of the class, get your sticker and **** off.