Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is it worth the risk to use British Airways?

Is it worth the risk to use British Airways?

Old Jun 18th 2010, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice
Default Is it worth the risk to use British Airways?

Hi, I wanted to poll everyone and see what you think about me using BA to come back from Blighty at the end of the month. Have they finished all this strike stuff or is there still a risk?
They are the cheapest...but that's no ue if I can't get back for work.
Thanks Peter
Old Jun 18th 2010, 7:39 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it worth the risk to use British Airways?

Personally I don't give two hoots which airline you use. Its hardly important enough to justify its own thread, let alone a poll, surely?

Last edited by lionheart; Jun 18th 2010 at 7:41 am.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

prwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really niceprwatts is just really nice

Originally Posted by lionheart
Personally I don't give two hoots which airline you use. Its hardly important enough to justify its own thread, let alone a poll, surely?
Sorry - I never realised this was the wrong protocol. Please tell me how best to find the answer to my query. I thought this was the way to find out things from fellow-expats. Can you say which method I should use?
Peter
Old Jun 18th 2010, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by prwatts
Sorry - I never realised this was the wrong protocol. Please tell me how best to find the answer to my query. I thought this was the way to find out things from fellow-expats. Can you say which method I should use?
Peter
BTW it is not a poll in the strictest sense - it is just that if 5 people tell me using BA is a risk in their opinion I won't book with them. People ask similar seemingly unimportant questions on other things. Do you give them a rocket too?

Last edited by prwatts; Jun 18th 2010 at 7:49 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 18th 2010, 8:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW it is not a poll in the strictest sense - it is just that if 5 people tell me using BA is a risk in their opinion I won't book with them. People ask similar seemingly unimportant questions on other things. Do you give them a rocket too?
I wouldn't fly with BA if someone else was paying. As the old saying goes - 'you get what you pay for'. If they're the cheapest, it's because they're rubbish and the cabin crew obnoxious rude people.

Can't think who they remind me of.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I wouldn't fly with BA if someone else was paying. As the old saying goes - 'you get what you pay for'. If they're the cheapest, it's because they're rubbish and the cabin crew obnoxious rude people.

Can't think who they remind me of.
Agree they are crap. Rather pay extra then fly with them.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I wanted to poll everyone and see what you think about me using BA to come back from Blighty at the end of the month. Have they finished all this strike stuff or is there still a risk?
They are the cheapest...but that's no ue if I can't get back for work.
Thanks Peter
Where are u based???? If AD then go Etihad, far better than BA.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
Where are u based???? If AD then go Etihad, far better than BA.
Sorry, I should have said - Riyadh, which for direct flights gives one the option of BA, BMI or Saudia.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:08 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the alternative airlines flying to your destination. To Bahrain for example I have only two options flying direct from London; Gulf Air and BA. BA can be unreliable with this striking business (although they sorted me out big time when I was stranded in London in March), but Gulf Air is probably the worst airline in the world so I usually risk it...

Flying Emirates/Qatar/Etihad is an option if you don't mind a stop-over but it adds minimum 4 hours to a flight to Bahrain. Probably similar to Riyadh.

Are you sure BMI is flying their own planes? They offer flights to Bahrain as well, but it's a codeshare with Gulf Air. As for Saudia I wouldn't fly them unless you love KSA! No booze of course, and male only crew...
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by norsk
It depends on the alternative airlines flying to your destination. To Bahrain for example I have only two options flying direct from London; Gulf Air and BA. BA can be unreliable with this striking business (although they sorted me out big time when I was stranded in London in March), but Gulf Air is probably the worst airline in the world so I usually risk it...

Flying Emirates/Qatar/Etihad is an option if you don't mind a stop-over but it adds minimum 4 hours to a flight to Bahrain. Probably similar to Riyadh.

Are you sure BMI is flying their own planes? They offer flights to Bahrain as well, but it's a codeshare with Gulf Air. As for Saudia I wouldn't fly them unless you love KSA! No booze of course, and male only crew...
I only care about the cost and certainty of getting there. I prefer direct because it takes less of my precious 'away time'
Thanks
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:31 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

If you definitely want direct, I guess BA is your only option. At least you can have a couple of drinks on the way home.

Alternatively, if you don't mind a changeover, go Emirates and you can have a couple of beers in the Irish Village while you wait for your connection.

When I worked in Riyadh, some people used to go through Cyprus, spend a weeks holiday there, then fly on to UK.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

I rarely fly direct - being willing to change planes somewhere usually offers a better selection of timings and fares.

I haven't used BA for years either; I was so angry with them last time I never even bothered to take them up on a complementary business-class flight that they had offered me as compensation for their 'indiscretion'. I don't need their charity; I just wanted to prove my point, and get them to admit they had screwed up - revenge, if you like.

Best BA customer service story: Google "British Airways" and "Gorman". The story is a few years old now, but it's still a cracker................. "Have I Got News For You" had great fun with it........

This gives you the flavour...............

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/di...p-1251584.html

Last edited by The Dean; Jun 18th 2010 at 4:15 pm. Reason: link
Old Jun 18th 2010, 6:30 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not with the majority view here - BA, when they do it right, are a very good airline, and it's reassuring to fly with an airline that takes safety somewhat seriously...

On the RUH-LHR route I'd be happy with any of the options, though Saudia give more legroom and no booze.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Fugative is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew BA last month to jeddah, rubbish out but had new plane back in, staff were good. Just joined saudi airlines frequent fliers with discount prices were closer to ba. So im back with them in july. Think Ba always suspect in summer months.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Purdey is on a distinguished road

Well, their next 'scheduled' strike is due to start on August 3 so if you are out and back before then you should be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.