Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it - I'm not sure

Is it worth it - I'm not sure

Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice
Default Is it worth it - I'm not sure

Reading comments on here about life in the Middle East, the rapidly rising living costs, accomodation shortage, I am becoming less and less sure that it is worth putting up with the somewhat restrictive lifestyle for the 'financial' rewards.

Am I right in thinking that the days of the expat packages that enable you to live well (thinking villa accomodation not an apartment) plus save money are long gone.

We have a job offer in Kuwait and my reserach shows it to be a fairly dull place (no disrespect intended) with high cost of accomodation so if we took the job and lost a wage earner (me - wife) would the financial savings of a tax free salary with housing and car allowance (measley 400KWD per month) really be worth it.

We would be going to the Middle East purely for financial reasons - mercenary but true. Is it worth it. Salary offered is 2000KWD per month.

Can you still make and save money in the Middle East?
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:16 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth it - I'm not sure

Originally Posted by hubbard
Reading comments on here about life in the Middle East, the rapidly rising living costs, accomodation shortage, I am becoming less and less sure that it is worth putting up with the somewhat restrictive lifestyle for the 'financial' rewards.

Am I right in thinking that the days of the expat packages that enable you to live well (thinking villa accomodation not an apartment) plus save money are long gone.

We have a job offer in Kuwait and my reserach shows it to be a fairly dull place (no disrespect intended) with high cost of accomodation so if we took the job and lost a wage earner (me - wife) would the financial savings of a tax free salary with housing and car allowance (measley 400KWD per month) really be worth it.

We would be going to the Middle East purely for financial reasons - mercenary but true. Is it worth it. Salary offered is 2000KWD per month.

Can you still make and save money in the Middle East?
As you point out, there isnt as much to spend your money on in KC, but after you have paid rent, schools(??), cars etc, you need to work out how much you have left....
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:36 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

im still saving over half my salary. Said that this bloody exchange rate is curtailing my eating and dining out habits somewhat. (i get paid GBP into an offshore account)

Depends on your industry (admitted nobody is safe) but there are jobs here that still offer villa, car, schooling, utilities, etc etc etc

It is on the decline, and people who dont receive these benefits always tend to post on here how these benefits dont exist, if only to mask their ineptness to negotiate the correct deal in the first place.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 4:40 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
im still saving over half my salary. Said that this bloody exchange rate is curtailing my eating and dining out habits somewhat. (i get paid GBP into an offshore account)

Depends on your industry (admitted nobody is safe) but there are jobs here that still offer villa, car, schooling, utilities, etc etc etc

It is on the decline, and people who dont receive these benefits always tend to post on here how these benefits dont exist, if only to mask their ineptness to negotiate the correct deal in the first place.
Cant find a 'sniggering up my sleeve' smilie
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Most of the ME is no longer considered a 'hardship posting' so the days of becoming loaded almost overnight are gone, yes, but I doubt there are many expats out here who don't live well and/or save money or else we'd all be long gone! You need to work out your own financial gain v the 'restrictive lifestyle' to make your own mind up.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

you need to go to saudi or kuwait if you want the best packages on offer.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

girlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to all

I've been here less than a year so no idea what it was like in the good old days.

That being said we are here on the basis that we get everything paid for and ith the added bonus that we might even pay our mortgage back home off one day.....

Otherwise I'd be on the first plane home.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Others will no doubt diagree but I think it really is only worth it if you get EVERYTHING paid for - ie. housing, medical, schools (either local or boarding), flights, drivers, maids, relocation and repatriation, furniture allowance if housing not furnished, etc. Basically you want your salary to be disposable income so you can live comfortably AND save.

This is particularly so in the 'harder' countries such as Saudi and Kuwait. Maybe people in Dubai will say the life style balances out some of the financial hardships - but I'm not so sure.

N
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:11 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic1
Others will no doubt diagree but I think it really is only worth it if you get EVERYTHING paid for - ie. housing, medical, schools (either local or boarding), flights, drivers, maids, relocation and repatriation, furniture allowance if housing not furnished, etc. Basically you want your salary to be disposable income so you can live comfortably AND save.

This is particularly so in the 'harder' countries such as Saudi and Kuwait. Maybe people in Dubai will say the life style balances out some of the financial hardships - but I'm not so sure.

N
i agree totally. We get everything paid otherwise we would be outta here.

so i deduce that the people who stay and fork out loads for rent, cars, schooling etc must do it for the love of the place compared to their place of origin. This in itself makes me shudder to think where they have come from in the first place..

I am also astounded at people who honestly think KCA is a nice place to live...advising people, unless they have come from a 3rd world, to relocate in KCA should be a banning or hanging offence.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:13 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

so i deduce that the people who stay and fork out loads for rent, cars, schooling etc must do it for the love of the place compared to their place of origin. This in itself makes me shudder to think where they have come from in the first place..

I am also astounded at people who honestly think KCA is a nice place to live...advising people, unless they have come from a 3rd world, to relocate in KCA should be a banning or hanging offence.
More a stoning or beheading offence surely.....
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:14 am
banned

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
More a stoning or beheading offence surely.....
dunno, ill ask Saddam...
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:20 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

More horrible abbreviations! I know about KSA but what or where is KCA? You are lucky Commander to be saving half your salary. We rarely get to save more than a third and this despite yours truly being a mean bastard.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 11:13 am
banned

Originally Posted by lionheart
More horrible abbreviations! I know about KSA but what or where is KCA? You are lucky Commander to be saving half your salary. We rarely get to save more than a third and this despite yours truly being a mean bastard.
I donate the rest to the British Legion, the Foreign legion and the BNP(kidding)

and KCA is Khalifa City A, off island Abu Dhabi....aka the bronx.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

I donate the rest to the British Legion, the Foreign legion and the BNP(kidding)

and KCA is Khalifa City A, off island Abu Dhabi....aka the bronx.
said by somebody who lives in Stepfordvil ...LOL
Old Nov 24th 2008, 2:32 pm
banned

Hohoho mangrove villiage, 8 month waiting list, excellent facilities, safe!!

KCA, building site, full of labourers, wreckless drivers, absolutely no facilities but a lovely smell of sewage thrown in.

I guess it comes down to personal standards lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.