British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Is it worth it - I'm not sure (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/worth-im-not-sure-574867/)

hubbard Nov 24th 2008 4:00 am

Is it worth it - I'm not sure

Reading comments on here about life in the Middle East, the rapidly rising living costs, accomodation shortage, I am becoming less and less sure that it is worth putting up with the somewhat restrictive lifestyle for the 'financial' rewards.

Am I right in thinking that the days of the expat packages that enable you to live well (thinking villa accomodation not an apartment) plus save money are long gone.

We have a job offer in Kuwait and my reserach shows it to be a fairly dull place (no disrespect intended) with high cost of accomodation so if we took the job and lost a wage earner (me - wife) would the financial savings of a tax free salary with housing and car allowance (measley 400KWD per month) really be worth it.

We would be going to the Middle East purely for financial reasons - mercenary but true. Is it worth it. Salary offered is 2000KWD per month.

Can you still make and save money in the Middle East?

TGFKASE Nov 24th 2008 4:16 am

Re: Is it worth it - I'm not sure

Originally Posted by hubbard (Post 7002915)
Reading comments on here about life in the Middle East, the rapidly rising living costs, accomodation shortage, I am becoming less and less sure that it is worth putting up with the somewhat restrictive lifestyle for the 'financial' rewards.

Am I right in thinking that the days of the expat packages that enable you to live well (thinking villa accomodation not an apartment) plus save money are long gone.

We have a job offer in Kuwait and my reserach shows it to be a fairly dull place (no disrespect intended) with high cost of accomodation so if we took the job and lost a wage earner (me - wife) would the financial savings of a tax free salary with housing and car allowance (measley 400KWD per month) really be worth it.

We would be going to the Middle East purely for financial reasons - mercenary but true. Is it worth it. Salary offered is 2000KWD per month.

Can you still make and save money in the Middle East?

As you point out, there isnt as much to spend your money on in KC, but after you have paid rent, schools(??), cars etc, you need to work out how much you have left....

commander Nov 24th 2008 4:36 am

im still saving over half my salary. Said that this bloody exchange rate is curtailing my eating and dining out habits somewhat. (i get paid GBP into an offshore account)

Depends on your industry (admitted nobody is safe) but there are jobs here that still offer villa, car, schooling, utilities, etc etc etc

It is on the decline, and people who dont receive these benefits always tend to post on here how these benefits dont exist, if only to mask their ineptness to negotiate the correct deal in the first place.

TGFKASE Nov 24th 2008 4:40 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7002972)
im still saving over half my salary. Said that this bloody exchange rate is curtailing my eating and dining out habits somewhat. (i get paid GBP into an offshore account)

Depends on your industry (admitted nobody is safe) but there are jobs here that still offer villa, car, schooling, utilities, etc etc etc

It is on the decline, and people who dont receive these benefits always tend to post on here how these benefits dont exist, if only to mask their ineptness to negotiate the correct deal in the first place.

Cant find a 'sniggering up my sleeve' smilie:rofl:

hawkhead Nov 24th 2008 6:24 am

Most of the ME is no longer considered a 'hardship posting' so the days of becoming loaded almost overnight are gone, yes, but I doubt there are many expats out here who don't live well and/or save money or else we'd all be long gone! You need to work out your own financial gain v the 'restrictive lifestyle' to make your own mind up.

busybee2 Nov 24th 2008 6:58 am

you need to go to saudi or kuwait if you want the best packages on offer.

girlabouttown Nov 24th 2008 7:30 am

I've been here less than a year so no idea what it was like in the good old days.

That being said we are here on the basis that we get everything paid for and ith the added bonus that we might even pay our mortgage back home off one day.....

Otherwise I'd be on the first plane home.

Nic1 Nov 24th 2008 10:03 am

Others will no doubt diagree but I think it really is only worth it if you get EVERYTHING paid for - ie. housing, medical, schools (either local or boarding), flights, drivers, maids, relocation and repatriation, furniture allowance if housing not furnished, etc. Basically you want your salary to be disposable income so you can live comfortably AND save.

This is particularly so in the 'harder' countries such as Saudi and Kuwait. Maybe people in Dubai will say the life style balances out some of the financial hardships - but I'm not so sure.

N

commander Nov 24th 2008 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Nic1 (Post 7003604)
Others will no doubt diagree but I think it really is only worth it if you get EVERYTHING paid for - ie. housing, medical, schools (either local or boarding), flights, drivers, maids, relocation and repatriation, furniture allowance if housing not furnished, etc. Basically you want your salary to be disposable income so you can live comfortably AND save.

This is particularly so in the 'harder' countries such as Saudi and Kuwait. Maybe people in Dubai will say the life style balances out some of the financial hardships - but I'm not so sure.

N

i agree totally. We get everything paid otherwise we would be outta here.

so i deduce that the people who stay and fork out loads for rent, cars, schooling etc must do it for the love of the place compared to their place of origin. This in itself makes me shudder to think where they have come from in the first place..

I am also astounded at people who honestly think KCA is a nice place to live...advising people, unless they have come from a 3rd world, to relocate in KCA should be a banning or hanging offence.

TGFKASE Nov 24th 2008 10:13 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7003623)

so i deduce that the people who stay and fork out loads for rent, cars, schooling etc must do it for the love of the place compared to their place of origin. This in itself makes me shudder to think where they have come from in the first place..

I am also astounded at people who honestly think KCA is a nice place to live...advising people, unless they have come from a 3rd world, to relocate in KCA should be a banning or hanging offence.

More a stoning or beheading offence surely.....

commander Nov 24th 2008 10:14 am

Originally Posted by TGFKASE (Post 7003629)
More a stoning or beheading offence surely.....

dunno, ill ask Saddam...

lionheart Nov 24th 2008 10:20 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7003623)

More horrible abbreviations! I know about KSA but what or where is KCA? You are lucky Commander to be saving half your salary. We rarely get to save more than a third and this despite yours truly being a mean bastard.

commander Nov 24th 2008 11:13 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7003660)
More horrible abbreviations! I know about KSA but what or where is KCA? You are lucky Commander to be saving half your salary. We rarely get to save more than a third and this despite yours truly being a mean bastard.

I donate the rest to the British Legion, the Foreign legion and the BNP(kidding)

and KCA is Khalifa City A, off island Abu Dhabi....aka the bronx.

lobby lou Nov 24th 2008 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7003767)
I donate the rest to the British Legion, the Foreign legion and the BNP(kidding)

and KCA is Khalifa City A, off island Abu Dhabi....aka the bronx.

said by somebody who lives in Stepfordvil ...LOL

commander Nov 24th 2008 2:32 pm

Hohoho mangrove villiage, 8 month waiting list, excellent facilities, safe!!

KCA, building site, full of labourers, wreckless drivers, absolutely no facilities but a lovely smell of sewage thrown in.

I guess it comes down to personal standards lol