Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

worth hiring a car?

worth hiring a car?

Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: worth hiring a car?

Originally Posted by angelynv
i think its because im a rubbish driver here - and if im rubbish here, i dread to think what i would be like out there.. i lack confidence driving so i would be the one hanging around waiting for the road to clear before turning right whilst everyone in the queue behind me over takes and undertakes to get around me!!
Close your eyes, whisper a prayer and hit the gas. Works for me everytime.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

angelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MataHari
we drive on the right side here....
exactly.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

oh and just realised even that doesnt work because Dubaians drive on the wrong side!! feel scared just thinking about it
as i said...just do it...you'll be fine...

MM, xx
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

exactly.
Angelynv,

There is a special introductory "phasing-in" scheme for driving on the right hand side of the road in Dubai, and if you are coming from the UK you can register for it.

You drive on the left to begin with, for a maximum of six hours per day, then you reduce it to four hours, then two, and by then they reckon you are ready to drive full-time on the right.

You get a special number plate while you are going through this phasing-in period so there won't be a problem.

Send me a PM if you want more details.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 7:23 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

if you are going to be based in Business Bay it might be worth taking a looking at the apartments in Healthcare City - they look nice and their location is excellent.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 9:09 am
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

i think its because im a rubbish driver here - and if im rubbish here, i dread to think what i would be like out there.. i lack confidence driving so i would be the one hanging around waiting for the road to clear before turning right whilst everyone in the queue behind me over takes and undertakes to get around me!!
We arrived in January, on a Saturday morning. Got picked up from the apartments we stayed in by a colleague, looked at how people were driving which was a bit of an eye opener!, UAE driving licence next day and started driving on Monday. It's really not that bad once you get into it, and you will learn very quickly that you won't sit there waiting for the gaps to appear because usually they don't and you have to go for it. Good thing over here is that most cars are automatic, so you don't have to worry about changing gears, just put your foot down and go. My advice to anyone arriving in Dubai is start driving as soon as possible, and don't worry about it, because your mindset will change automatically.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scarletfan
We arrived in January, on a Saturday morning. Got picked up from the apartments we stayed in by a colleague, looked at how people were driving which was a bit of an eye opener!, UAE driving licence next day and started driving on Monday. It's really not that bad once you get into it, and you will learn very quickly that you won't sit there waiting for the gaps to appear because usually they don't and you have to go for it. Good thing over here is that most cars are automatic, so you don't have to worry about changing gears, just put your foot down and go. My advice to anyone arriving in Dubai is start driving as soon as possible, and don't worry about it, because your mindset will change automatically.

yup the sink or swim mentality......its the only way here
Old Feb 10th 2008, 4:30 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
if you are going to be based in Business Bay it might be worth taking a looking at the apartments in Healthcare City - they look nice and their location is excellent.
Or some very nice ones in Downtown Dubai ... with nice price tags as well of course.