Reload this Page >

"Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

"Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Walnut10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

Originally Posted by UKMS
Joined this a bit late ....... Has accommodation allowance all but died out ? I'm on my way out to Dubai in 4 weeks, my company pay it across the spectrum of employees at all levels and every other role I researched for myself in other companies was pretty much the same (tech companies).
Hi, brand new to this and looking to move out end of this year for family reasons to UAE...i work for largest UK tech co now in London (sadly tiny presence in UAE)...any advice for who to move to in the region from a tech perspective? in finance/operations capacity...thanks
Old Apr 21st 2017, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Walnut10
Hi, brand new to this and looking to move out end of this year for family reasons to UAE...i work for largest UK tech co now in London (sadly tiny presence in UAE)...any advice for who to move to in the region from a tech perspective? in finance/operations capacity...thanks
I ended up staying with my company (tech with global presence) and relocating. I don't really have the insight to tell you good and bad in the tech world here. You may be better finding who has the opportunity you are looking for and research it from there.

Good luck !
Old Jan 6th 2018, 11:23 pm
Banned

alain2020 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Hi,

On the forum we get a lot of questions whether a package will be worth it to move to the UAE or Qatar.

Every situation is different of course, so to try an assist with people wanting to work out "Is It Worth It" I put together this spreadsheet (with help from other posters here).

It's not going to be definitive or 100% accurate always - though it should help you with some of the usual costs, how things work and useful links for more info.

Feel free to download and use it. Read the notes in the welcome tab.

If there are any suggestions - please post them here.

If there are any updates to the file they will be posted in the replies below in this thread.

Hope you find this helpful to consider your move to the UAE / Qatar.

Cheers,

Auto
That's great!
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Hasask is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a me of the best forums out there!

I am planning to move to Qatar from UK in a couple of months.

What is the situation at the moment? Considering the blockade...
food prices? Economy?
Rents? Etc

Thanks
Has
Old Nov 19th 2018, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Darvin is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread has been really helpful. Thanks all the contributors. Can you please help me w.r.t. package expectations/premium between Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I have heard a premium of 10K AED per month should be considered as it is without considering any hike on job move. Is it reasonable?
Old Nov 20th 2018, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Darvin
This thread has been really helpful. Thanks all the contributors. Can you please help me w.r.t. package expectations/premium between Dubai and Abu Dhabi. I have heard a premium of 10K AED per month should be considered as it is without considering any hike on job move. Is it reasonable?
moving in which direction? A 10k uplift on what base salary ?
Old Nov 20th 2018, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Lift from Moving from Dubai to AD. and the package of about 35-50K PM.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lift from Moving from Dubai to AD. and the package of about 35-50K PM.
on that salary why would you expect a 10k uplift for moving to AD ?
Old Nov 21st 2018, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by UKMS

on that salary why would you expect a 10k uplift for moving to AD ?
Lol, are you an HR person? Your questions and tone definitely sounds like one. (pun intended)
Old Nov 21st 2018, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Lol, are you an HR person? Your questions and tone definitely sounds like one. (pun intended)
no im not an HR person I’m just some one who knows many people working in both locations ..... clearly you have a reason that you think you should get a 20-30% uplift ? Your expectations puzzle me. Maybe provide some more details and you’ll get better and more reasoned answers.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

ompan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Millhouse
6 long years between now and 2020 mate, the bust'll happen long before the expo.
didn't take long. .lol
Old Jan 29th 2019, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

AdiB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Following on from my introduction in the Sand Pit, I wanted to post a common question around the cost of living in Dubai, and get some feedback please…..

Context: currently London based, and discussing a secondment to Dubai with my company (which would be for ~ 3 years, with a role back in the UK when I’m done). Will be discussing the details of the package in the coming week or two so I’m trying to get a reasonable view of our expected cost of living in advance. Not looking to have an extravagant lifestyle by any means – just want my family and I to live comfortably enough to enjoy it while we are there. We’re a family of 5 with two kids of primary school age, and one child under 1. Having done some preliminary research, I’m estimating the following costs (I’m sure it’s way under/over for some) and would welcome your thoughts based on your own experiences:
  • 3 bed villa/apartment in a decent family friendly area: 170k / year. Leaning towards an apartment to keep running costs down…
  • Primary school (British curriculum) for two children: 50k / child = 100k / year. Based on a reasonable % of the British schools rated ‘Outstanding’ or ‘Very Good’ over the last couple of years. My wife is a Primary Teacher who can also help the kids at home, as needed. She would not plan to work initially so no nursery fee for youngest kid to factor in for the time being

(Total for rent & schooling = 270k / year or 22.5k / month)

Other monthly costs…
  • Utilities & Comms (Water/Electric/Phone/Internet/TV): 3k (lower in an apartment?)
  • Up to 2 cars (mid-range, leasing), petrol, other transportation: 5.5k
  • Groceries/supermarket: 4k
  • School extra-curricular activities (2 kids at 1k per term each): 0.5k
  • Eating out: 4.5k (2 -3 times per week, mainly lower/mid-range with a ‘nicer’ restaurant a couple of times a month. Tee total, so no alcohol costs)
  • Other entertainment (mainly kids related stuff, at weekends): 1k
  • Nanny/cleaner (live-out, part-time): 2.5k
  • Coffees/lunch during working week (x1): 1.5k
  • Insurance, mobile phones: 1k
  • Other miscellaneous expenses: 2k
  • Medical insurance would be covered by employer for the family

Total cost of living estimate = 48k / month.

Any feedback on the total monthly estimate, and where I am grossly under / over, would be really helpful please. Have I missed any other major monthly costs? I know set-up and other one-off / rarer costs will need to also be factored in, which I’ve not looked at yet.

Thanks!
Old Jan 30th 2019, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdiB
Hi all,
Following on from my introduction in the Sand Pit, I wanted to post a common question around the cost of living in Dubai, and get some feedback please…..

Context: currently London based, and discussing a secondment to Dubai with my company (which would be for ~ 3 years, with a role back in the UK when I’m done). Will be discussing the details of the package in the coming week or two so I’m trying to get a reasonable view of our expected cost of living in advance. Not looking to have an extravagant lifestyle by any means – just want my family and I to live comfortably enough to enjoy it while we are there. We’re a family of 5 with two kids of primary school age, and one child under 1. Having done some preliminary research, I’m estimating the following costs (I’m sure it’s way under/over for some) and would welcome your thoughts based on your own experiences:
  • 3 bed villa/apartment in a decent family friendly area: 170k / year. Leaning towards an apartment to keep running costs down…
  • Primary school (British curriculum) for two children: 50k / child = 100k / year. Based on a reasonable % of the British schools rated ‘Outstanding’ or ‘Very Good’ over the last couple of years. My wife is a Primary Teacher who can also help the kids at home, as needed. She would not plan to work initially so no nursery fee for youngest kid to factor in for the time being

(Total for rent & schooling = 270k / year or 22.5k / month)

Other monthly costs…
  • Utilities & Comms (Water/Electric/Phone/Internet/TV): 3k (lower in an apartment?)
  • Up to 2 cars (mid-range, leasing), petrol, other transportation: 5.5k
  • Groceries/supermarket: 4k
  • School extra-curricular activities (2 kids at 1k per term each): 0.5k
  • Eating out: 4.5k (2 -3 times per week, mainly lower/mid-range with a ‘nicer’ restaurant a couple of times a month. Tee total, so no alcohol costs)
  • Other entertainment (mainly kids related stuff, at weekends): 1k
  • Nanny/cleaner (live-out, part-time): 2.5k
  • Coffees/lunch during working week (x1): 1.5k
  • Insurance, mobile phones: 1k
  • Other miscellaneous expenses: 2k
  • Medical insurance would be covered by employer for the family

Total cost of living estimate = 48k / month.

Any feedback on the total monthly estimate, and where I am grossly under / over, would be really helpful please. Have I missed any other major monthly costs? I know set-up and other one-off / rarer costs will need to also be factored in, which I’ve not looked at yet.

Thanks!
Looks about right. Yes, apartments a bit cheaper on the utilities. A villa will probably be less than 170k now (maybe 140k ish).
Old Jan 30th 2019, 9:27 am
Just Joined

AdiB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Millhouse. Really helpful to have someone 'kick the tyres' on this - appreciate it.
Old Apr 1st 2019, 7:03 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Think about paying your future selves before paying any of the above bills: keep both of your UK State Pension entitlement going (pay Class 2 NIs) and set up personal pension each and pay enough in each month to meet your retirement expectations (You need £1million invested to generate a £40k annual pension).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.