Reload this Page >

"Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

"Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

Old May 30th 2015, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

techboy786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: "Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

Hello everyone,

I am new here, so apologies in advance if I am in the wrong thread.
Couldn't find anything else

Got an offer for a Job in Abu Dhabi after 2 years of trying very hard.

Offer is very simple, 129.000 AED
Basically with every single thing included 10.750 AED a month

My wife, 1 yo baby and me will be there, if we accept it.

In it, we have health insurance, car allowance, housing allowance, 2 months temporary accommodation paid from company, flight allowance.
Based on my calculations it would be ok to live there.

Technical Retail Position will be the first

I was looking for a studio flat in cheap areas, ie. Khalifa City and MBZ.
It would roughly cost 25k +- 3k a year with W/E included in the rent. (ca.2500pm)
Car would cost me 1500pm and petrol about 170 pm (ca 1670pm)
Grocery 800 pm
Personal Care 450 AED
Laundry 160AED
Sim card 125 AED
Internet 400 AED
baby expenses 850 AED
Total= ca. 6955 AED (10750 - 6955 = 3795AED)
just give another 1800 on top of it, in case prices change or we spend a bit more on something) still 2 k left

Am I being realistic or can i just say no to the company? No further negotiation possible though.

Thanking you guys in advance for your advice.
Old May 31st 2015, 9:18 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

Even if your housing costs were paid in full that is a very low salary to support two adults and a baby.

Your estimate of AED 800 a month on groceries is way off.

Bear in mind that you may still have UK tax liabilities, depending on when you leave the UK and how long you remain in the UAE and you have no provision to save.

I don't think it's doable. Sorry, but best you know before you make a mistake.
Old May 31st 2015, 10:20 am
Just Joined

techboy786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: "Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

Originally Posted by Meow
Even if your housing costs were paid in full that is a very low salary to support two adults and a baby.

Your estimate of AED 800 a month on groceries is way off.

Bear in mind that you may still have UK tax liabilities, depending on when you leave the UK and how long you remain in the UAE and you have no provision to save.

I don't think it's doable. Sorry, but best you know before you make a mistake.
Thank you very much. You helped as well!
I have rejected the offer already.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Kr1985 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some good information on this thread.
Thank you guys
Old Aug 17th 2015, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

For jobs like this you cannot compete with workers from the Philippines, India and Pakistan.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure whether it has been asked before or not, apologies if yes.
Is there a chance that 'Is it worth it' sheet can be created for Saudi Arabia also?
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tahir84
Is there a chance that 'Is it worth it' sheet can be created for Saudi Arabia also?
That's a much easier analysis - The answer is... "it isn't"

unless to are looking to sell your soul.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Epicion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Millhouse
That's a much easier analysis - The answer is... "it isn't"

unless to are looking to sell your soul.
Is it because of the religious police/no alcohol or fun/Sex-segregated life style that is the soul selling part or is there something I'm missing?
Old Jan 8th 2016, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

No alcohol ? You are joking. More drinking goes on in Saudi compounds than in a Glasgow pub !
Old Jan 9th 2016, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Epicion
Is it because of the religious police/no alcohol or fun/Sex-segregated life style that is the soul selling part or is there something I'm missing?
Saudi is a utterly dreadful place. Rotten to the core.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 7:13 am
Just Joined

Olivia Ogilvy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tahir84
Check my previous post, i have the sheet you're looking for...
Old Oct 9th 2016, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

JoeLon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

I stumbled upon this site while trying to find some answers. Hence, the post. I hope you can help me.

I live in London and have a senior engineering position with a renowned international consultancy. Recently, I was thinking about going back to Middle East. I shot my CV and got contacted by an HR company. After short discussion, I've agreed that they send my CV to Qatar Petroleum. I don't know the grade that I applied for. Now, my questions and doubts are:
- What to expect regarding the salary and benefits? What is the right way to talk about these things? Is there a thumb rule or something?
- I have a family and want them with me. If we go there, it should be for a longer period, not just few years.
- Kids are still not going to school, but it is something to think about in the short run. What are best schools in Doha and can I hope to chose the school with QP?
- I worked in Qatar previously. However, I don't know whether my employer cancelled my visa when I resigned, since I resigned from the home office. Is there any way to check this? Is this relevant at all when applying for QP?

Thanks
Old Oct 9th 2016, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why are you going there ? What is the motive for moving ? I would say that if you are established in a professional job in London, this is not a good time to move to the Gulf.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

JoeLon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoeLon
Hi all

I stumbled upon this site while trying to find some answers. Hence, the post. I hope you can help me.

I live in London and have a senior engineering position with a renowned international consultancy. Recently, I was thinking about going back to Middle East. I shot my CV and got contacted by an HR company. After short discussion, I've agreed that they send my CV to Qatar Petroleum. I don't know the grade that I applied for. Now, my questions and doubts are:
- What to expect regarding the salary and benefits? What is the right way to talk about these things? Is there a thumb rule or something?
- I have a family and want them with me. If we go there, it should be for a longer period, not just few years.
- Kids are still not going to school, but it is something to think about in the short run. What are best schools in Doha and can I hope to chose the school with QP?
- I worked in Qatar previously. However, I don't know whether my employer cancelled my visa when I resigned, since I resigned from the home office. Is there any way to check this? Is this relevant at all when applying for QP?

Thanks
Anybody? Surely somebody can advise me before it's too late.
Thanks
Old Oct 17th 2016, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

JoeLon - As a rule of thumb, take your current after tax salary and add 20%. Then decide if that is enough to make it worth your move. If not, add more.

But better to let them offer first.

Once you have the offer you can try to negotiate from there. Some places that can work (e.g. add flights home) and other places the offer is pretty much fixed. It depends how much they need you. If there's other qualified candidates then you don't have much bargaining power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.