Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

"Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

"Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

Old Aug 3rd 2019, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

** When I typed this in (and copy/paste) it was all formatted, it's now gone to bollocks... (if anyone knows how to paste in columns(table), tell me and I'll change it))

Just back from food shopping, in the bottom of my (reusable bags), some old receipts - a bit bored, so, thought this might help:

This list is taken from a 8 receipts; one Jan 2016, one in Nov 2018 and 6 in 2019.
Streaky Bacon Dry 35.00Brazil Nuts (900gm) 160.28Strawberry (400gm) 32.50Chicken Breasts (2 pcs) 21.35Basmati Rice microwave 10.25Pecan nuts (100gm) 28.00Angus Tenderloin (3 pcs) 123.38Colmans Mustard 14.00Sunflower Oil (1.5l) 17.95Quaker Oats 500g 9.75Peppers (2 pcs) 14.251.4kg Chicken 33.75Lipton Extra Strong (100 bags) 20.50Cucumber 6.04Wagyu Rib eye (2 pcs) 273.07Weetabix 430 15.00Broccoli 4.71British Banger Pork Sausages 25.95Omega Eggs (15 pcs) 23.25Spring Onion 12.75Yellow Cheddar 13.50Cherries 45.00Colgate Toothpaste 17.75Toasted Sesame Oil 26.00Strawberries 500 33.00Skyr yoghurt small 9.50Heinz Baked Beans (small) 5.20Tomatoes 21.00Red Leicester 200gm 16.00Red Chillies 6.00Avocado (2 pcs) 21.75Wagyu Rib eye (2 pcs) 123.70Wagyu Beef Tenderloin (1 pc) 121.45Bananas 12.50NZ Beef Tenderloin (2pcs) 70.75Belton Double Gloucester 27.50Sweet Potatoes 15.87Chorizo Saria 23.00Heinz Salad Cream 25.25Basmati Rice (500gm) 16.50Pork Sausage thin 25.65Lurpak Butter Blocks (6pcs) 18.00Grapes 21.50Raw Sugar (500m) 12.50Panko Breadcrumbs 8.40Heinz Tomato Ketchup 8.408 Wraps (flatbread) 12.50Sliced (jar) Beetroot 12.00Celery Sticks 14.75Blueberry 30.00Diced Sweet Potato 15.75Brazil Nuts (100gm) 2016 price 36.00
The receipt totals:
02/01/2016 371.15
28/11/2018 773.95
19/04/2019 656.17
28/04/2019 621.22
30/06/2019 757.19
14/07/2019 745.79
21/07/2019 792.740
3/08/2019 812.82
Total 5,531.03 Average 691.38
2019 Total 4385.93 2019 Average 730.99

I'm a single male, the food normally lasts me 5 days, maybe 6 at a push, at least one takeaway per week, usually it's either a Thursday or Friday night (after spending a stupid amount on beer), and I'll order enough to have hangover food for the next day.
All the above is from Spinneys. Some will disagree, but I liken the quality of food to that of Tesco's (they do stock and sell Waitrose own brand food).

Last edited by MAV_DXB; Aug 3rd 2019 at 2:21 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2021, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Expatwannabee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello
I am in the early stages of moving to the ME. I have two options - Qatar or Dubai. Which one should I go for and why? I have two Primary aged children and it will be me, my husband and the two kids.
At what stage do I discuss the package etc? Is it part of the interview or afterwards? I am going through a recruiter if that makes a difference.
Thanks
Old Jun 14th 2021, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatwannabee
Hello
I am in the early stages of moving to the ME. I have two options - Qatar or Dubai. Which one should I go for and why? I have two Primary aged children and it will be me, my husband and the two kids.
At what stage do I discuss the package etc? Is it part of the interview or afterwards? I am going through a recruiter if that makes a difference.
Thanks
it sounds like you are at an application/ pre interview stage discussing options with a recruiter ? ….. the choice of location will
likely also be impacted by what role or package you get offered in each location …. Can you pursue both ? In my experience the recruiter should be able to give you ball park figures (to make sure that you are not wasting your time ) but the finer details of package will be discussed post interview. That’s my experience I’m sure others involved in recruiting will chip in.
Old Jun 14th 2021, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by UKMS
it sounds like you are at an application/ pre interview stage discussing options with a recruiter ? ….. the choice of location will
likely also be impacted by what role or package you get offered in each location …. Can you pursue both ? In my experience the recruiter should be able to give you ball park figures (to make sure that you are not wasting your time ) but the finer details of package will be discussed post interview. That’s my experience I’m sure others involved in recruiting will chip in.
Thanks for your reply. Yes that is correct - I am in early interview stages. The plan is to pursue both.
I have read some really negative commentary on these board regarding the ME. Are you in Dubai? How are things post Covid?
I am in professional services and would be applying for an audit type role. Do you mind if I ask what do you do? I'm really nervous as I am the one who wants to move to ME atleast for a few years and if it goes pear shaped, we will have serious consequences for the family.
Old Jun 14th 2021, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply. Yes that is correct - I am in early interview stages. The plan is to pursue both.
I have read some really negative commentary on these board regarding the ME. Are you in Dubai? How are things post Covid?
I am in professional services and would be applying for an audit type role. Do you mind if I ask what do you do? I'm really nervous as I am the one who wants to move to ME atleast for a few years and if it goes pear shaped, we will have serious consequences for the family.
I'm in Dubai and very happy, I work for a global tech company, covid has been a winner (for my company) just from the nature of the business.
There are many people who are very happy here for a variety of reasons which somewhat depends why you come here in the first place (money, career, quality of life, good family life or a combination) but there are also many who come here and end up desperately unhappy for a variety of reasons, very often lack of money is the root of it because you cant enjoy everything else with no money although contrary to what many perceive you can have a great life here without necessarily spending a fortune. Job insecurity often dampens life and its common here and there are also those who simply hate it here regardless of anything else.

Out of interest why do you want to bring your family to this part of the world, whats driving it ? and what would your husband do for work here ?

Old Jun 15th 2021, 7:32 am
Just Joined

I'm in Dubai and very happy, I work for a global tech company, covid has been a winner (for my company) just from the nature of the business.
There are many people who are very happy here for a variety of reasons which somewhat depends why you come here in the first place (money, career, quality of life, good family life or a combination) but there are also many who come here and end up desperately unhappy for a variety of reasons, very often lack of money is the root of it because you cant enjoy everything else with no money although contrary to what many perceive you can have a great life here without necessarily spending a fortune. Job insecurity often dampens life and its common here and there are also those who simply hate it here regardless of anything else.

Out of interest why do you want to bring your family to this part of the world, whats driving it ? and what would your husband do for work here ?
Hi,

There are a few reasons - tax fee salary for a few years at least, good quality of life, a slower pace compared to London ( total assumption) and being closer to home ( South East Asia). Do these sound like the right reasons? What I dont know is: what is the work culture in bid 4 like, will I actually save any money so that we can go back after say 5 years, will the quality of life be actually better, how 'good' are the schools. It is really hard to judge from these boards!
Old Jun 15th 2021, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi,

There are a few reasons - tax fee salary for a few years at least, good quality of life, a slower pace compared to London ( total assumption) and being closer to home ( South East Asia). Do these sound like the right reasons? What I dont know is: what is the work culture in bid 4 like, will I actually save any money so that we can go back after say 5 years, will the quality of life be actually better, how 'good' are the schools. It is really hard to judge from these boards!
They are certainly sound reasons ! but most of them (apart from geographical location) will really depend on what you earn here.

I cant comment on the pace or culture in the Big 4. Most of your other points (savings, quality of life, schools) will almost certainly be dictated or significantly affected by your salary and available budget as well as to some degree what your current situation is and current quality of life and expectations are. If you are now in a spacious apartment/house in the UK but can only afford a 1 bed flat in a run down part of Dubai then not a lot of point moving, I know that's an extreme example but I'm sure you get what I mean. With schools its not necessarily the case that higher fees give you a better school, its about making the correct choice for your kids and if the right choice is above your budget then again it's a problem.

Whilst there are many that move here without ever having been here (or only been on holiday), my suggestion would always be to visit with moving in mind (rather than vacation) especially if you are uprooting your family.

These forums are difficult to gauge but if you are serious about moving and approaching it in the right way you will get some useful help and advice.

Old Jun 15th 2021, 9:24 am
Just Joined

They are certainly sound reasons ! but most of them (apart from geographical location) will really depend on what you earn here.

I cant comment on the pace or culture in the Big 4. Most of your other points (savings, quality of life, schools) will almost certainly be dictated or significantly affected by your salary and available budget as well as to some degree what your current situation is and current quality of life and expectations are. If you are now in a spacious apartment/house in the UK but can only afford a 1 bed flat in a run down part of Dubai then not a lot of point moving, I know that's an extreme example but I'm sure you get what I mean. With schools its not necessarily the case that higher fees give you a better school, its about making the correct choice for your kids and if the right choice is above your budget then again it's a problem.

Whilst there are many that move here without ever having been here (or only been on holiday), my suggestion would always be to visit with moving in mind (rather than vacation) especially if you are uprooting your family.

These forums are difficult to gauge but if you are serious about moving and approaching it in the right way you will get some useful help and advice.

Thank you. This is a very useful response. I have a mid-management, decent job here and I earn a very good salary. I also live in one of the richest parts of England. Overall, our quality of life is good/decent.

I think the going rate in Dubai for my position is 40-45k AED and i believe there is no schooling allowance on top of that. My kids go to an excellent school here and that is important for me. Can you recommend good schools in Dubai, KSA or Qatar?
Old Jun 15th 2021, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you. This is a very useful response. I have a mid-management, decent job here and I earn a very good salary. I also live in one of the richest parts of England. Overall, our quality of life is good/decent.

I think the going rate in Dubai for my position is 40-45k AED and i believe there is no schooling allowance on top of that. My kids go to an excellent school here and that is important for me. Can you recommend good schools in Dubai, KSA or Qatar?
I cant personally recommend schools but I'm sure others might chip in, HERE is the current published fees by grade in Dubai which will give you the highs/lows and enable you to see the average for the purposes of initial budgeting. If it were me I'd start working out numbers for everything rather than focusing on specific schools. To give you an idea on housing, you can get a decent enough 3 bed detached villa in a nice area for 150-160k (possibly a little less at the moment), of course you can go up or down from that or spend less on an apartment or town house. There's plenty of threads and posts which will give you an insight into the cost of family life here based on your own expectations and habits. I know its obvious but factor in school +extras, housing, utilities (AC, water, internet etc) , shopping/groceries, car/transport , childcare, vacation, flights home (if not provided), savings, leisure activities, any top required on your medical insurance. As you will soon see your 'tax free' 40k will soon get eaten away and might not go as far as you think. Plus factor in any benefits that you lose when you leave your company in the UK, the big one is usually pension contributions. Factor in your UK tax liabilities as you wont be tax free immediately and it will depend on when you move in the tax year (seek professional advice on this as it can be complex depending on your circumstances), Im sure ive missed things to consider and it may sound negative but this is reality. For an individual or couple I'd always say give it a go but with 2 young kids its a different ball game for many reasons.
Old Jun 15th 2021, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

I cant personally recommend schools but I'm sure others might chip in, HERE is the current published fees by grade in Dubai which will give you the highs/lows and enable you to see the average for the purposes of initial budgeting. If it were me I'd start working out numbers for everything rather than focusing on specific schools. To give you an idea on housing, you can get a decent enough 3 bed detached villa in a nice area for 150-160k (possibly a little less at the moment), of course you can go up or down from that or spend less on an apartment or town house. There's plenty of threads and posts which will give you an insight into the cost of family life here based on your own expectations and habits. I know its obvious but factor in school +extras, housing, utilities (AC, water, internet etc) , shopping/groceries, car/transport , childcare, vacation, flights home (if not provided), savings, leisure activities, any top required on your medical insurance. As you will soon see your 'tax free' 40k will soon get eaten away and might not go as far as you think. Plus factor in any benefits that you lose when you leave your company in the UK, the big one is usually pension contributions. Factor in your UK tax liabilities as you wont be tax free immediately and it will depend on when you move in the tax year (seek professional advice on this as it can be complex depending on your circumstances), Im sure ive missed things to consider and it may sound negative but this is reality. For an individual or couple I'd always say give it a go but with 2 young kids its a different ball game for many reasons.
This is excellent advice and I will start thinking about these lines. I hope you have a lovely rest of the day
Old Jun 17th 2021, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Hello All,
I have received the below package for a SM job in Riyad: please can you tell me what you think about it?

Salary - 29k
School allowance - 37k max but capped at 75% of the school fees
Medical allowance - I dont know the value yet
End of service benefit - I dont know the value yet
Relocation allowance
Bonus - apparently this is awesome but cannot be disclosed.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All,
I have received the below package for a SM job in Riyad: please can you tell me what you think about it?

Salary - 29k
School allowance - 37k max but capped at 75% of the school fees
Medical allowance - I dont know the value yet
End of service benefit - I dont know the value yet
Relocation allowance
Bonus - apparently this is awesome but cannot be disclosed.
To do what?
School fees - low and by definition will not cover the full cost. Actual fees probably around 45-50k
Medical - that will be just provided. You won't see cash. Probably some in-country care policy
EOS - this is as per law. Not really a benefit and they will try and not pay it for any reason they can think up.
Relocation - one off. It won't be enough, but it will help
Bonus - assume it is zero.

Old Jun 17th 2021, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
To do what?
School fees - low and by definition will not cover the full cost. Actual fees probably around 45-50k
Medical - that will be just provided. You won't see cash. Probably some in-country care policy
EOS - this is as per law. Not really a benefit and they will try and not pay it for any reason they can think up.
Relocation - one off. It won't be enough, but it will help
Bonus - assume it is zero.
Ah apologies! should have said SM at big4, audit.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Ah apologies! should have said SM at big4, audit.
I assume that means Sado Masochistic. I don't think there is any amount of money I could be paid to do audit in this region.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I assume that means Sado Masochistic. I don't think there is any amount of money I could be paid to do audit in this region.
Senior Manager in big 4 audit!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.