Reload this Page >

"Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

"Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

Old Jul 4th 2014, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

EK28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Is It Worth It" - a guide to costs vs income for the UAE & Qatar

Hi Nathan

I was just about to post about my own situation until I read yours. My husband is a senior engineer in building services who is currently talking to a few companies about moving. One has said they will offer 30,000pm all in. No other details on any other allowances but they have said to him they don't pay allowances.

I don't think we will move for 30,000 QR. He will probably try to go back for more. For a single guy that seems like a good deal but we are a couple looking to have children so we def need more. Although I am a qualified primary teacher so I would be looking for work but not straight away.

I think also he is hoping for more because he has more than 9 years experience working with an international consultants so would like to boost his salary a bit.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

ME calling is an unknown quantity at this point

1 kid not school going and wife not in full time work. No allowances only 50k aed pm - is that enough ££££ to live in a 3 bed apartment/ villa and maintain london lifestyle and save in Abu Dhabi?
Old Jul 17th 2014, 8:18 am
Just Joined

Olivia Ogilvy is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not hurt to ask more just to "test the water".
Old Jul 17th 2014, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nathanielrichard1604
Hi, I am new to this forum. Is there a "Is it worth it?" spreadsheet like this available for Bahrain and Dammam (Saudi Arabia)? I have been offered a position in one of these places and I really have no idea of whether the offer is going to allow me to live well and to save. The salary offered is around the 30 000 to 35 000 Saudi Rial mark (per month) but I will have to pay everything from this, except annual flights home. ie no housing allowance, car allowance, etc provided.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Yes, there is. I have those Cost of Living spreadsheet available here as an zip attachment to this post. Download straight from here and open the zip file.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Olivia, I did ask for more they literally ran away i.e. withdrew their offer

Thanks for the spreadsheet though

Last edited by mikewot; Jul 20th 2014 at 3:14 am.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ME calling
Thanks Olivia, I did ask for more they literally ran away i.e. withdrew their offer
You are just asking (testing the water) and they ran away?

If what you ask is something more because it is a reasonable cause i.e to compensate something you lost back home (international school fee is expensive) but they even don't consider a bit about it, look like you make a right decision. You don't want to work just to maintain your own lifestyle but you want to work there and save some money later.

Don't regret anything about it. It's a right decision. You are not selling yourself short.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Yeah not regretting as i have just started looking in that region
Old Aug 1st 2014, 12:01 am
Just Joined

badeface is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear all,

On a mac so I really can't open the excels and they cant be edited, anyways,
I was recently offered a QAR 40k pcm salary which is inclusive of my living allowance.
QAR 12.5k per year for a ticket back home.

I am single, no kids, and I will have a car but will have to pay for maintenance.

Am I in the safe zone?
Old Aug 1st 2014, 7:42 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by badeface
On a mac so I really can't open the excels and they cant be edited, anyways,
You're joking right? Even if you don't have MS Office you can download OpenOffice, LibreOffice, NeoOffice or even sign up for Gmail account and use Google Docs.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 9:47 am
Just Joined

badeface is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by norsk
You're joking right? Even if you don't have MS Office you can download OpenOffice, LibreOffice, NeoOffice or even sign up for Gmail account and use Google Docs.
Thanks for that, wasn't very helpful.
Old Aug 1st 2014, 2:42 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by badeface
Thanks for that, wasn't very helpful.
Not for your post re the package perhaps, but you seem to be completely green when it comes to using your mac (or perhaps you're just lazy...)
Old Aug 12th 2014, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

A friend lives in Kuwait and he is considering a move to AD

Can he comfortable live in AD on approx $3,000 to $5,000 per month - which includes car (not sure if he will buy or rent), accomodation (1 or 2 bed apartment) and food ?

He doesnt have any sprogs so no schooling will be required.

Any advice regarding the costings (I have already sent him the spreadsheet)

Last edited by UKCityGent; Aug 12th 2014 at 10:27 am.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:55 pm
"The Seeker"

Leannmean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
A friend lives in Kuwait and he is considering a move to AD

Can he comfortable live in AD on approx $3,000 to $5,000 per month - which includes car (not sure if he will buy or rent), accomodation (1 or 2 bed apartment) and food ?

He doesnt have any sprogs so no schooling will be required.

Any advice regarding the costings (I have already sent him the spreadsheet)
5k $ is really not much , even for a single , if they are going to pay for an apartment then he might be able to save a little every month but if he has an active outdoor life style then he sure as hell wont be able to keep it up on that kind of salary
Old Aug 24th 2014, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leannmean
5k $ is really not much , even for a single , if they are going to pay for an apartment then he might be able to save a little every month but if he has an active outdoor life style then he sure as hell wont be able to keep it up on that kind of salary
THanks for that - I will give him the good news ...
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Mr. B is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My Wife got an offer for a Nurse manager position in RAK, it's 32000DHS all in.

Is it a good amount to live in RAK? Housing looks cheap,prob 5000dhs a month or less, I've heard its a good bit cheaper than Dubai for most things, food etc.

It's only her, myself and my 18month old son
Would love to save 10000dhs a month, is it possible??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.