Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is it worth going?

Is it worth going?

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is it worth going?

The later you start the longer it takes.

Nearly worth giving up my 3 Bed at 45K per year but I think I'll keep it.

Mike
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:48 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartans53
The later you start the longer it takes.

Nearly worth giving up my 3 Bed at 45K per year but I think I'll keep it.

Mike
LOL!! know how you feel I am hanging onto my brand new 2 bed at 85k
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

New place in JV should be ready by end 2009 and need to convince wife that we are better renting that and staying put.

Not going to work by I can try. Seems kids need space to run about and a garden. I'm not convinced.

Mike
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:35 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartans53
New place in JV should be ready by end 2009 and need to convince wife that we are better renting that and staying put.

Not going to work by I can try. Seems kids need space to run about and a garden. I'm not convinced.

Mike
boarding schools these days offer excellent facilities
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:07 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

YOU WHAT??!!!

45k?! 85k?!

noooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! (here, have some more exclamation marks) !!!!1111!!!

/cry
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

In my own defence on one wanted to move to the Gardens 5 years ago and the only shop was the one in the Village. We paid 35K the first year and 5K A/C. We got 13 months for 12 in the good old days. Also had the choice of three or four different Flats.

Mike
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Syndicate47 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen some green bits in photos! ha ha

I've worked in Dubai a couple of times, 1 week here, 2 weeks there. Didn't really see much of the place tho in terms of places to live so a little trip out is a good idea.

Lyds - the 30k you said for accomodation, what is that based on and where, roughly? Forget that fact I need to get to DHCC for now as I've heard the office my move to Jebi Ali anyway.

Thanks again

Last edited by Syndicate47; Nov 3rd 2008 at 10:58 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:37 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

well, we're paying 200k AED/yr for a 2 bed apartment in JBR, which works out at... dare I?!

ARGGHHHH! /cry

£33830.53 at today's rate! Plus, add on 5% in refundable deposit and 5% in agency (scum) fees.

We signed the contract nearly a month ago. Villas in the Springs were going for about 185-195 back then, some Marina apartments were cheaper at about 175k. If you look to cheaper areas, back then you could find some at 150. All 2 bed.

That was a month ago. Now JBR 2 beds are on for 240-250 and it would be wise to assume that everything else has gone up by around 20k.

So there it is... The rent is essentially your tax, so make sure your salary package is generous enough not to leave you worse off!

Oh, and greenery on photos = photoshop! lol
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Kitty

I think I'm going to look at some 1 beds to see how they compare. 2 bed might be a little out of budget and to be honest a luxury I don't need - unless 1 bed = tiny apartment.

Might push my company to see if they will up the salary too. You don't ask, you don't get.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 3:44 pm
ex-expat

that's the spirit!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:08 pm
Banned

twisty100 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
LOL!! know how you feel I am hanging onto my brand new 2 bed at 85k
I am hanging on to my two bed at 130 pa...
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:07 pm
ex-expat

oh shush!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:17 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
oh shush!
if you were to make a choice again, say rewind 6 months and know then what you know now would you still have come over here?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it all depends on what kind of accomodation you are looking for....accomodation over here is damn expensive depending on the location and the size ie one/two bed etc.

I currently rent a one bedroom aprt in JLT which cost me AED115 apporx
GBP 1,306 per month. The rent you will need to pay upfront and your company should be able to do that for you and then deduct it from your monthly salary.

monthly utilities bill will be - again depending on the size of the apartment etc...below are my costs, based on my one bedroom aprt

DEWA (water and electricity) approx AED 250
Du (tv, fone line, broadband) approx AED 400
AC approx AED 300

Car rental/payment plan is gonna set you back around AED 2000 per month

eating out is pretty cheap...alcohol in bars is expensive and taxis are cheap.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mission (and everyone else)

The more I look into it I do find I can afford to live and save a fair amount each month. The bigger question, and one others are asking on other forums, is am I willing to cut my standard of living to do this?

I have a nice 3 bed semi here in the UK, big garden and a little cash at the end of the month to do what I like with. In Dubai I would get a pokey little flat and, from what I can see, more stress. Now, the UK job market is rubbish and I may not have a job for long so that's another factor to consider. I just wonder to myself that, given the option, would I choose Dubai? The offer from my company makes Dubai easy to move to but there are nicer places to live (in my opinion) where you can live without the miles of red tapes etc etc.

Anyway, I have lots to think about and I thank everyone for helping out. I'll probably be over soon to check the place out more before finally making my mind up.

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.