Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is it worth going?

Is it worth going?

Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:21 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth going?

my wife gave birth here, emergency 'c' section at Al Wasl hospital.

Absolutely no problems.

But the 'trendy' place for the JJ's to give birth is the AHD.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:26 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander

Absolutely no problems.

the Al Wasl was good enough for Princess Haya so it's good enough for me
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:29 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely no problems.

AHD? American hospital? A friend visited there and was told that as soon as labour is established, the first thing to do is send your husband down to pay the bill! Yeah, right. You do apparently get a dressing-gown and slippers provided.

I'm going for the MedCare hospital - it's nice, small and above all near!
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Congratulations Lyds! I am expecting my first one for February.

Coming back to the question: your salary is around 330K dirhams per year. If you rent a one bedroom in Bur Dubai (what is not bad for Healthcare City) it will cost you around 120-140K per year (up front). If you want a Villa and the life style of the rich, it will not be possible with that money. It all comes to what you expect and your financial situation back home.

Take a look to the wiki for approximate living cost. Life, as lived by the western expatriates, is expensive in Dubai.

Also... girl friend will need a job if she plans to stay. You cannot sponsor her, except if married, and visa runs are becoming more problematic.

Good luck.
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
the Al Wasl was good enough for Princess Haya so it's good enough for me

I love her chain of gymnasiums too
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:31 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I love her chain of gymnasiums too
a real entrenpreneur
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Catherine72 is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband will hopefully soon be over in Dubai, fingers crossed.

I am a Midwife over here in th UK. Has anyone any idea what western trained Midwives earn, it seems that they do earn more. ?
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:18 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catherine72
My husband will hopefully soon be over in Dubai, fingers crossed.

I am a Midwife over here in th UK. Has anyone any idea what western trained Midwives earn, it seems that they do earn more. ?
Don't know, but one of my aunts was a midwife in saudi in the 70s and earned a packet.

Have a look at some of the hosptial websites linked in the wiki article "giving birth in the UAE"... they may have a careers section. There's also the German Saudi Hospital under construction that may be recruiting soon.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Catherine72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Kitty, , the hubby is just having quite a few interviews at present, so hopefully we will have some news at some stage.

I would ideally like to work in Dubai. Our children are a bit older, both secondary school age, so 2 day a week would be nice.

I will check it out. We have been told that there are lots of workers in Midwifery from Asia/Far East that are poorly paid. However i have been told that as a British trained Midwife with over 6 years post qaulification, i am much more sought after.

Last edited by Catherine72; Nov 2nd 2008 at 6:59 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Syndicate47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Is it worth going?

Hi

All good advice thank you, not sure about the baby stuff but glad you found someone to talk to about it! :-) Good luck!

I take home 28k ish Net in the UK and still need to pay bills with that etc so the 22k left after rent isn't too bad. Some of the accomodation I've looked at will come in under the 30k so things aren't looking bad at all. Plus girlfriend / wife's money is all an extra bonus.

Is living in Discovery Gardens really going to be that bad to get to DHCC? I have is to be about 20 miles away? Any other recommendations on nice green places to live would be great?

Thanks again for all your replies and help.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:07 pm
ex-expat

yes, I visited the Medcare hospital and it seemed that the majority of the "coalface" midwives where far-eastern, but the obstetricians (and probably senior midwives) all had UK qualifications and/or professional accreditation.

Certainly the Medcare website has the CVs of the various bods on it, so it may be worth taking a peek to see if that's the line to go for.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 7:13 pm
ex-expat

green?! We're in the desert here! lol!

I would really recommend you come out here with your partner for a few weeks to suss it out first. Take the opportunity to look around the various areas with an open mind and make opinions for yourself. The cheaper places are often cheaper for a reason, but as always, it depends what you are looking to achieve - everyone's priorities are different, after all.

I'd also say that it's not a good thing to come out here knowing that you're taking home less than in the UK... it HAS to be worthwhile in more ways that one. You don't want to end up in the situation where your budget doesn't allow you to live to the standard you're used to at home, let alone improve your quality of life.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 3:04 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Syndicate47
Hi

All good advice thank you, not sure about the baby stuff but glad you found someone to talk to about it! :-) Good luck!

I take home 28k ish Net in the UK and still need to pay bills with that etc so the 22k left after rent isn't too bad. Some of the accomodation I've looked at will come in under the 30k so things aren't looking bad at all. Plus girlfriend / wife's money is all an extra bonus.

Is living in Discovery Gardens really going to be that bad to get to DHCC? I have is to be about 20 miles away? Any other recommendations on nice green places to live would be great?

Thanks again for all your replies and help.
yes living in Discovery Gardens really is going to be that bad. Do you not have a map? It would take you at least 45 minutes to get to Wafi area.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Gardens to HCC takes 1Hr from 7.30am to 8.30am if you stop off at Jumeria Int Nursery onthe way and drop off a 3YO.

Do the same trip at 8am and you're looking at at least 90 Mins

Mike
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:43 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by spartans53
Gardens to HCC takes 1Hr from 7.30am to 8.30am if you stop off at Jumeria Int Nursery onthe way and drop off a 3YO.

Do the same trip at 8am and you're looking at at least 90 Mins

Mike
90 minutes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.