Reload this Page >

Is it worth going?

Is it worth going?

Old Nov 1st 2008, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Syndicate47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it worth going?

Hi

Fairly new to all this forum stuff so I'm sorry if I'm asking questions that have already been answered elsewhere.

I'm considering a move to Dubai for a position with my current employer here in the UK. The role is an IT Infrastructure Manager and I'll be helping setup IT services for my company within their offices across the UAE . It's going to be a 'roll up your sleeves' type role to start with and then hopefully the 'Manager' element will start as we bring in local enginners etc to do the day-2-day stuff

Now I know this isn't a recruiment or HR site but my question is 'can I afford to come over?' and I mean , will I be any better off money wise?

I'm being offered 52k GBP a year and I'll have to find accomodation, transports etc etc myself. I have no kids but will come over with my girlfriend (poss wife-to-be given the co-habiting laws!) and she'll find some kind of work hopefully but I'm not factoring that just yet.

Anyway, to the point, given we need a flat that is easy to get to Heathcare City from without mayor issue everyday (I was looking at Discovery Gardens cus love the parks etc), run a mid-range car, eat, drink etc etc, am I going to have any cash to ship back home? (which is the whole point of going)

I'm only after general living costs I guess and if anyone else works in IT, does the offer look any good? I will speak to some recrutment firms too to check further.

If it looks like I'm easily going to have spare cash and this post comes across as if I'm taking the pee, I'm sorry. I really don't have a clue and I want to make sure there are no hidden living costs that I might not see in all the books and stuff I'll start to pick up soon.

Thanks for any advice guys, I'll buy you a pint if I make it over!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 3:19 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth going?

welcome...
there are loads and loads of recent threads on packages on here so if you do a search you'll find your questions answered...
Rents are high and need to be paid upfront so having to pay for that yourself isn't sounding too good...
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:12 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I work that out to be about 28,000 dhs a month. You are looking at about 140k for an apartment. There are apartments at healthcare city. Discovery Gardens is a complete no no if you are going to based near healthcare city.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of

Does the £52k include an accommodation allowance, car allowance, etc, or is it all included?

Basically, I'd count £30k/yr as your rent (ball-park - could be more, could be less), then about £250/ month for the car (rental or buying). Food bills are about the same. Utilities, er... let's say a tad more expensive.

Taking the rent off alone would leave you with £22k take home - if that's more than you're currently on, then happy days, if not, then you won't be making money.

Cut a long story short, my husband's on a good wage and we're only going to be making about £10k/yr in savings. All that would change if I were to go back to work and we'd subsequently be rolling it, but circumstances nipped that in the bud!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:58 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lyds
Does the £52k include an accommodation allowance, car allowance, etc, or is it all included?

Basically, I'd count £30k/yr as your rent (ball-park - could be more, could be less), then about £250/ month for the car (rental or buying). Food bills are about the same. Utilities, er... let's say a tad more expensive.

Taking the rent off alone would leave you with £22k take home - if that's more than you're currently on, then happy days, if not, then you won't be making money.

Cut a long story short, my husband's on a good wage and we're only going to be making about £10k/yr in savings. All that would change if I were to go back to work and we'd subsequently be rolling it, but circumstances nipped that in the bud!
pregnant
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of

hmm... er yes! Early days yet though.

Which reminds me I would like to do a wiki page for "giving birth in the UAE", cos there are some differences I've found already that'd be worth knowing.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:20 am
Concierge

hmm... er yes! Early days yet though.

Which reminds me I would like to do a wiki page for "giving birth in the UAE", cos there are some differences I've found already that'd be worth knowing.

Congratulations! fire away I gave birth here
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:22 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Congratulations! fire away I gave birth here
did it hurt...
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:23 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by MataHari
did it hurt...
not at all MH - C section
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:25 am
hmmmm...nice

oh...apparently that does take longer to heal though...but I guess it's different for everyone...had 4 the 'natural' way...prefer it to going to the dentist to be honest...
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

oh, good stuff! I was just about to delete my answer and pm you, considering it's so public, etc... oh well!

tum-tee-tum... carry on! nothing to see here!
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

oh...apparently that does take longer to heal though...but I guess it's different for everyone...had 4 the 'natural' way...prefer it to going to the dentist to be honest...
yeah, had my 1st in 3h from start to finish - that's what I call a good morning's work!

I'm so going to give birth in the car this time around...
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:29 am
hmmmm...nice

yeah, had my 1st in 3h from start to finish - that's what I call a good morning's work!

get those windows tinted....
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:31 am
Concierge

I sailed through it, Mitten was born on the Tuesday, I was out on the Saturday and driving by the Monday.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 5:31 am
Concierge

highly likely the way traffic is around here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.