Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

WorldWide Group - off shore banking

WorldWide Group - off shore banking

Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: WorldWide Group - off shore banking

Oh, thanks, that makes sense. I think I'll open one too.

Originally Posted by Meow
in most circumstances it is better to keep most assets offshore.
a mystery on valentines day...

It might be - all part of my mystery
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

angelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to allangelynv is a name known to all

It might be - all part of my mystery

If you live in a country where Sharia law applies, in most circumstances it is better to keep most assets offshore, as Sharia Law applies on death - even to expats. A will can help matters, but not 100%.

You can also bank offshore with companies with which you are familiar and confident. Most banks will give you the oprion to have accounts in several currencies so this can also be an advantage.
sorry meow - just to reiterate shift delete's questions - when you say offshore, are you saying as a British person I should have an account in Dubai with an international bank such as HSBC? i was plnning on doing this anyway - i.e. opening an account for my AED wages to go into as the interest does not get taxed in Dubai - or are we talking about something else? sorry if im being thick..
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:50 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macteepee
Ok, thanks for the replies...... So much information to look at to find genuine financial info! Can someone point me in the right direction to look at high interest savings accounts or similar? We're in Bahrain if that makes any difference and are not Brits but Aussies......
Basically looking at maximising our savings - hubby doesn't know enough about share market, but as I said earlier I normally do the research, and i have no idea where to start learning about it apart from that I read Money magazine occasionally, but I get lost in all the different advice!
I do have a fund that guarentees 80% of it's highest value at anyone time but it's not a bank account and is really only worthwhile for investments lasting 3years plus.

12% interest in a bank account sounds more dodgy that if it was called Del Boy International Holdings Inc!

N.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 11:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelynv
sorry meow - just to reiterate shift delete's questions - when you say offshore, are you saying as a British person I should have an account in Dubai with an international bank such as HSBC? i was plnning on doing this anyway - i.e. opening an account for my AED wages to go into as the interest does not get taxed in Dubai - or are we talking about something else? sorry if im being thick..
The terms offshore refers to jurisdictions such as Isle of Man or the Channel Islands where interest on bank accounts can be paid gross and is effectively away from the UK. You will want a dirham account for day to day expenses, but savings should be held offshore. HSBC, for example, offer both onshore and offshore accounts.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions
Old Feb 15th 2008, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macteepee
I guess we'll stick with our current account while I learn about other investments and the sharemarket....
Why start losing the value of your hard earned money through inflation - this will happen if you let lie in a current account.

In case you don't have the time/inclination to select stocks (like in my case), why not buy exchange traded funds (ETFs) that track the index... Try the Vanguard funds which track various indices - e.g. VGK tracks the Eurpoean index - I prefer them to mutual funds..........

Google to find out more about them. Markets have fallen - so may be a good time to tip toe in.......... Also don't ever try to time the markets you will fail miserably.......
Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

Thanks IndieGirl!
So have ETF's worked for you so far? How easy is it to convert to cash if you need it- I'll go off and google a bit so long.

[QUOTE=IndieGirl;5936875]Why start losing the value of your hard earned money through inflation......
...why not buy exchange traded funds (ETFs) that track the index... Try the Vanguard funds which track various indices..........
QUOTE]
Old Feb 17th 2008, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
Thanks IndieGirl!
So have ETF's worked for you so far? How easy is it to convert to cash if you need it- I'll go off and google a bit so long.
Yes, far better than the funds managed by the likes of Merill Lynch (which I got out of in Feb07).

Sorry, if I pay fees/commissions to these managed funds then I expect them to provide me with better returns than the index, otherwise might as well put it in a funds that simply tracks the index....which is what I did.

It takes a few seconds to convert to cash - you just buy and sell online through an account with say E*Trade....

Moved out of US/European stocks completely in Feb-Mar07 - will start buying again next week.......
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

CaspianSea01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

One of my old mates from Bahrain recommended this site. Moved to Baku now..

Would never of seen myself on a forum, let alone computer but come across this article about Worldwide.

I sat and join them about a year and a half ago. I am shocked about everyone being so unsure about them. They have done a good job for me.

I opened a Vista with them and received a bonus of 9 grand. My returns have been somewhat average at 19% (from my memory).
The consultant I sat with, Mark, was up front and said that the 29 harley st address is for mailing, they have it because clients wanted to see it. You can search them in the UK at CH, the company name is Worldwide UK Limited.

I was always critical when I met them but they have proven their worth. I know that there are bad people out their to but worldwide certainly is not one of them.

I know and Mark did say that the earn commission for setting up accounts, my attitude to that is too rite - how else can he get the money to visit me.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaspianSea01
Hi Guys,

One of my old mates from Bahrain recommended this site. Moved to Baku now..

Would never of seen myself on a forum, let alone computer but come across this article about Worldwide.

I sat and join them about a year and a half ago. I am shocked about everyone being so unsure about them. They have done a good job for me.

I opened a Vista with them and received a bonus of 9 grand. My returns have been somewhat average at 19% (from my memory).
The consultant I sat with, Mark, was up front and said that the 29 harley st address is for mailing, they have it because clients wanted to see it. You can search them in the UK at CH, the company name is Worldwide UK Limited.

I was always critical when I met them but they have proven their worth. I know that there are bad people out their to but worldwide certainly is not one of them.

I know and Mark did say that the earn commission for setting up accounts, my attitude to that is too rite - how else can he get the money to visit me.
cheers Mark
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:20 am
Just Joined

NK9100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: WorldWide Group - off shore banking

If they say they are located in UK Harley Street or are trying to sell you a retirement investment plan with Skania or any other insurance company or the man you are dealing with is Mark Phillips or they are registered in Cayman Islands... then run a mile. Several people I know have had serious probs with them and legal opinion that was voiced last week in UK believes they may be set up and are actually defrauding clients...of course if they are a British Registered Company & Companies house and are registered with teh FSA then you have some protection...but not a lot !
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

stayingoffshore is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been reading some of the comments about Worldwide and can only say that I have been with them for 4 years and found them to be very good.
I have recommended them to many people and I am surprised by comments from others on this forum who say Worldwide can not be trusted.
I was told from the start that their office in London was a virtual office and also about their charges and commissions. My daughter goes to the British international school in Bahrain who recently were able to put on a show after the main sponsor pulled out at the last minute and Worldwide stepped in and I believe paid for it all. No matter how good a company is there will always be someone to poo poo them.. shame on you Look at this link; www.thebsbh.com (its the british school in Bahrain's own website)
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

stayingoffshore is an unknown quantity at this point

I just googled Worldwide UK ltd and found them in companies house uk.
They are worldwide uk limited registration number 05985600. so the man who said that he had checked and could not find them and also said he use to sell financial services is obviously not very competent and by his own admission not very good at his job. They are not hiding in anyway. Enough said. Good bye from me on Worldwide....... I will be sticking with them as I am very happy
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone check to see if multiple accounts come from the same IP address on here?
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IndieG
Moved out of US/European stocks completely in Feb-Mar07 - will start buying again next week.......
Having been trading the UK stock market since 1998, my advice would be along the lines of "go away in May and come back in September" so wait a few months longer...