Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

World's 2nd Best Tourist Destination is...

World's 2nd Best Tourist Destination is...

Old Sep 5th 2012, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default World's 2nd Best Tourist Destination is...

Muscat, followed by Bangalore with London first, according to Lonely Planet.
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/oman/m...lanet-1.922670
Old Sep 5th 2012, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: World's 2nd Best Tourist Destination is...

The Lonely Planet I used for Greece last week is going in the bin. bloody useless.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:23 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

This list is a bit old (you can even see the dateline on the article) and it did generate some ripples when it came out. A few places like London, Cadiz and that place in Portugal were on there because of events this year. But Bangalore FFS? It's a complete shithole with no redeeming features in a country full of fascinating destinations. As most of the comments said, what were they thinking/smoking??

I get why Muscat is there though. The city itself is not that exciting but it is the natural access point to a lot of superb natural and cultural sights that showcase the best of the region's distinctive geography and history. Similar to Darwin, another controversial inclusion, in that respect I think.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I am confused...

The article states Muscat is # 2 but the article also states London is #1 followed by Bangalore. How can Muscat be #2 when Bangalore is # 2

Muscat: Muscat is the world's second best tourism destination to visit in 2012, according to the travel guide published by Lonely Planet.

At the top of list of ten is London, followed by Bangalore in India, the Spanish city of Cadiz, Swedish capital Stockholm, Guimaraes in Portugal, Santiago in Chile, Hong Kong, Orlando in USA and Darwin in Australia
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:44 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Tourism I get - problem is when you live here you've "done" everything after two weeks....
Old Sep 7th 2012, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

What about Pattaya?
It is surely the world's best destination, or not?
Old Sep 7th 2012, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope
This list is a bit old (you can even see the dateline on the article) and it did generate some ripples when it came out. A few places like London, Cadiz and that place in Portugal were on there because of events this year. But Bangalore FFS? It's a complete shithole with no redeeming features in a country full of fascinating destinations. As most of the comments said, what were they thinking/smoking??

I get why Muscat is there though. The city itself is not that exciting but it is the natural access point to a lot of superb natural and cultural sights that showcase the best of the region's distinctive geography and history. Similar to Darwin, another controversial inclusion, in that respect I think.
The sort of people who think Lonely Planet is a good guide will love Bangalore.....
Old Sep 7th 2012, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
The sort of people who think Lonely Planet is a good guide will love Bangalore.....
People not overly concerned with showering frequently?
Old Sep 8th 2012, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Bangalore is reported to be the silicon valley of India a very technologically advanced city and there is a lot of involvement of international computing companies there.....Yeah, let's all go to Bangalore this year.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 4:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

What's wrong with Lonely Planet?

Used one to get around Vietnam and was really helpful.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:10 am

Miss Anne Thrope is an unknown quantity at this point

I like Lonely Planet (and I buy half a dozen or more travel guides a year: travelling to new places is my thing) but I HATE Bangalore....