Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Working as a Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dubai?

Working as a Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dubai?

Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:49 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working as a Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dubai?

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
I turn my back for one weekend and miss all the fun...!!!
Some people prefer it that way...
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Actually I was trying to be nice...

I:
a) told you there were threads on here about living on a budget
b) considered your combined salary and gave an honest and experienced opinion about it
c) suggested you consider your job security and some of the factors affecting it
d) suggested a rental plan that would limit your exposure
e) suggested you think about buying a car v other transport solutions
f) commented on food, booze and entertainment costs
g) most crucially, suggested that you consider the viability of your function here
h) tried to prepare you for the fact that recruiters are considered by most people to be on a par with estate agents.

You arrogantly state that you're a "Senior Recruiter"--nobody's senior at 23, except perhaps in the tea-making stakes. Your salary is probably appropriate for your worth, but I don't know any western expats making that little. As a senior you will, you suppose, be interacting with relatively senior candidates and clients--yet your post is full of primary school grammatical mistakes (do you know when its right to say "Me and my partner", "My partner and me" or "My partner and I"? -- I use recruiters, and for the senior positions I won't use anyone who can't get basic English grammar right; and do you know the difference between "i.e." and "e.g."?; or what a greengrocer's apostrophe is?).

And with the free, experienced advice you've been given, you have the nerve to criticise. You're the sort of person who gives recruiters a bad name.

I initially wished you good luck. That's retracted. I hope you get what you deserve.
Surely it's "greengrocers' apostrophe"? They all make the mistake don't they or is it just one of them?

I also really object to recruitment agents being tarnished with the same brush as estate agents...

Someone once said to me that the barrier to entry to recruitment is a phone and a pushy personality. Estate agency requires the use of a digital camera too thus raising the bar a lot higher. Further, estate agents don't try and be your best mate when they are trying to screw you.

Last edited by Millhouse; Jul 19th 2010 at 8:05 am.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:56 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse

I also really object to recruitment agents being tarnished with the same brush as estate agents...
Isn't it "tarred" with the same brush?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:59 am
Hit 16's

D'you think the prissy recruiter's gonna come back?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it "tarred" with the same brush?
touche... did you do this?

Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:01 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Surely it's "greengrocers' apostrophe"? They all make the mistake don't they or is it just one of them?
OED says either:

greengrocer’s apostrophe n. (also greengrocers’ apostrophe) [< the genitive of GREENGROCER n. (or its plural) + APOSTROPHE n.2, with allusion to greengrocers’ apparent predilection for its use (see quot. 1991)] Brit. an apostrophe used irregularly; spec. one placed before the terminal s of a plural noun (although cf. APOSTROPHE n.2 2).

[1991 K. WATERHOUSE English our English 43 Greengrocers, for some reason, are extremely generous with their apostrophe – banana’s, tomatoe’s (or tom’s), orange’s etc. Perhaps these come over in crates of fruit, like exotic spiders.] 1992 Oxf. Compan. Eng. Lang. 75/1 The apostrophe of plurality continues in at least five areas:... In the non-standard (‘illiterate’) use often called in BrE the *greengrocer’s
apostrophe, as in apple’s 55p per lb and We sell the original shepherds pie’s. 1993 Independent (Nexis) 14 Feb. 23 The best greengrocer’s apostrophe I’ve ever seen is ‘asparagu’s’. 1998 Daily Tel. (Electronic ed.) 28 Aug., Linguists who use the ubiquitous greengrocer’s apostrophe with abandon. 2000 Scotsman (Electronic ed.) 3 July, Linguistic pedants are still engaged in debate about the greengrocers’ apostrophe and the vital difference between implication and inference.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

D'you think the prissy recruiter's gonna come back?
Nah, shes got to recruit million's more people so that she can keep running the polo.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Distinctiveflair- I see you've made quite an impact!

30K is fine to live out here- I live on 20K a month and manage to save half of that, although I am quite tight with my money, so you could save it or blow it all - your choice.

A word of wisdom as much as you might think people on here are twats its best to play nicely if you want to get information out of people. Most stuff said on here is tongue in cheek so best take it with a pinch of salt and not be quite so defensive. A sense of humour is strongly recommended to live in Dubai so if the forum gets your back up you may well find yourself being miserable when here. A wink and a smile will get you a lot further.

Welcome anyway and why not throw about a few more insults to get a really good thread going (thats tongue in cheek btw)
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi Distinctiveflair- I see you've made quite an impact!

30K is fine to live out here- I live on 20K a month and manage to save half of that, although I am quite tight with my money, so you could save it or blow it all - your choice.

A word of wisdom as much as you might think people on here are twats its best to play nicely if you want to get information out of people. Most stuff said on here is tongue in cheek so best take it with a pinch of salt and not be quite so defensive. A sense of humour is strongly recommended to live in Dubai so if the forum gets your back up you may well find yourself being miserable when here. A wink and a smile will get you a lot further.

Welcome anyway and why not throw about a few more insults to get a really good thread going (thats tongue in cheek btw)
you always have to go and spoil it by being nice don't you?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

lol Millhouse, I can be a bitch if you like? Hang on I'll just put my dominatrix outfit on...wheres the whip cracking smilie?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lol Millhouse, I can be a bitch if you like? Hang on I'll just put my dominatrix outfit on...wheres the whip cracking smilie?
Tell me more. Please...
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:31 am
Hit 16's

Will a wink and a smile get me any further??
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sorry takes a while and a load of talc to get on- now shut up and lick my feet while I beat you with a cat o nine tails...

Bahtatboy how far do you wanna get?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sorry takes a while and a load of talc to get on- now shut up and lick my feet while I beat you with a cat o nine tails...

I think that, as a minimum, he wants to get past the ankles.

now we have talked about feet before kitty, toe rings?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:46 am
Hit 16's

How far ya' willing to go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.