Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Working as a Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dubai?

Working as a Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dubai?

Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:38 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working as a Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dubai?

Originally Posted by Saj786
depends on your definition of a profession - i agree there are no formal qualifications / certifications needed however is still a service provided that is very much needed and in demand.

recruitment companies are turning over hunderds of thousands GBP which is demonstrable evidence that it is a profitable line of business which is adding some value and making a profit.

we will have to agree to disagree on this one
well i suppose people have mentioned prostitution is the oldest profession in the world, when viewed in that light I have to agree it is a profession

Personally I don't have anything against recruiters, its like mucking around with snakes, you can hardly complain after it bites you, you should know the score and treat accordingly.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Saj786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by weasel central
well i suppose people have mentioned prostitution is the oldest profession in the world, when viewed in that light I have to agree it is a profession

Personally I don't have anything against recruiters, its like mucking around with snakes, you can hardly complain after it bites you, you should know the score and treat accordingly.
thanks weasel central - the main point I was making was that as much as you may hate them and however unprofessional "some" may be, you can decide not to deal with them or go in with your eyes wide open.

for those that want to steer clear of recruiters, thats fine, its your choice.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

This debate is older than all of us, as it has been said.

Now, off to watch Boiler Room as my motivation for this afternoon.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sross2203

thats an old classic - A B C
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Britmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really nice

Originally Posted by Saj786
depends on your definition of a profession - i agree there are no formal qualifications / certifications needed however is still a service provided that is very much needed and in demand.

recruitment companies are turning over hunderds of thousands GBP which is demonstrable evidence that it is a profitable line of business which is adding some value and making a profit.

we will have to agree to disagree on this one
Nobody is disputing that recruiters make profits, it is how these profits are made which is the question here.

Many recruiters and agencies typically offer potential candidates perhaps one-third (or less) of the actual salary offerred by their clients, the balance being pocketed by parasites like you!

That is how the majority of recruiters make their money.

If you imagine that anyone here is going to accept your arguments and lame justifications, you better stop dreaming and wake up la!
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:52 am
Account Closed

how is my position in the carribean coming along? hammock engineering tester?

i am perfect for the role
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Britmal
Nobody is disputing that recruiters make profits, it is how these profits are made which is the question here.

Many recruiters and agencies typically offer potential candidates perhaps one-third (or less) of the actual salary offerred by their clients, the balance being pocketed by parasites like you!

If you imagine that anyone here is going to accept your arguments and lame justifications, you better stop dreaming and wake up la!
i am feeling some pain here man, go on tell the story..who did what to you?

just out of interest what do you work at? i may have a perfect role for you, with a good client, progress your career etc
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I can't even begin to comment on this.

I've never worked with freelance candidates, always seems a ball-ache. But if you're moaning about a company paying an agency £9 per hour (for example) and the agent offering you £3 per hour then why would you accept? Surely if you're good at what you do you would know the market rate?

Or are you saying the recruiter should make no margin on that? Perhaps just provide a service Free of Charge?

Pull the other one. You're looking at it from the freelance / contracting angle, if you choose to work freelance then you do so because you're greedy in the UK market...you want to only pay 22% or whatever it is through your limited company instead of full income tax like salaried equivalents. Nothing but greed makes you dislike the recruiters margin.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:59 am
Account Closed

how is my position in the carribean coming along? hammock engineering tester?

i am perfect for the role
I'm still searching, as it goes, the hammock testing roles are quite popular, you're going to need a lot of experience for this...
Old Mar 17th 2011, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Britmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really niceBritmal is just really nice

i am feeling some pain here man, go on tell the story..who did what to you?

just out of interest what do you work at? i may have a perfect role for you, with a good client, progress your career etc
If you are in pain go and take a panadol or an aspirin or something

Too many stories to tell, not just my own but many, many others.

Recruiters s**k big time.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 12:04 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

1. Whether someone define's it as a profession or not doesn't really make any difference...
Yes it does. If I need a "professional engineer" (in the context of an engineer with professional qualifications), then I'm hardly likely to get good service from someone who doesn't understand what "professional" means.

In anticipation of your, or somebody else's, response that I should only deal with recruiters who understand that distinction: The recruiter who I deal with face-to-face may understand the distinction, but by the time my requirement has been disseminated throughout the recruiter's organisation and--as is often the case--I get sent CVs of people who clearly aren't "professionals", the benefit of dealing with that recruiter is diminished. The problem is self-perpetuating, because the recruiters themselves term themselves "professionals", when clearly they aren't.

Profession and Professional are fairly well-defined terms. That being so, don't you find it ironic that the industry which thrives on satisfying the needs of employers of professionals can't, itself, use the term correctly?
Old Mar 17th 2011, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

i think you are refering to the contracting market where an agency pays you minus their cut from the client. Yes, you are right that perhaps a bit too much is being pocketed however do also think about the work and effort which has been put in even beofre you have been identified as a good match - all this work needs to be financially rewarded

a doctor, lawyer, accountant and even plumbers can charge for their services, why cant recruiters ?
Old Mar 17th 2011, 12:07 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Then don't (although you already have). He's talking bollocks.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

I've never worked with freelance candidates, always seems a ball-ache. But if you're moaning about a company paying an agency £9 per hour (for example) and the agent offering you £3 per hour then why would you accept? Surely if you're good at what you do you would know the market rate?

Or are you saying the recruiter should make no margin on that? Perhaps just provide a service Free of Charge?

Pull the other one. You're looking at it from the freelance / contracting angle, if you choose to work freelance then you do so because you're greedy in the UK market...you want to only pay 22% or whatever it is through your limited company instead of full income tax like salaried equivalents. Nothing but greed makes you dislike the recruiters margin.
And what motivates you to make 200% - 300% profit on a recruitment deal, screwing your candidate in the process?

Surely it could not be greed, could it?!
Old Mar 17th 2011, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Yes it does. If I need a "professional engineer" (in the context of an engineer with professional qualifications), then I'm hardly likely to get good service from someone who doesn't understand what "professional" means.

In anticipation of your, or somebody else's, response that I should only deal with recruiters who understand that distinction: The recruiter who I deal with face-to-face may understand the distinction, but by the time my requirement has been disseminated throughout the recruiter's organisation and--as is often the case--I get sent CVs of people who clearly aren't "professionals", the benefit of dealing with that recruiter is diminished. The problem is self-perpetuating, because the recruiters themselves term themselves "professionals", when clearly they aren't.

Profession and Professional are fairly well-defined terms. That being so, don't you find it ironic that the industry which thrives on satisfying the needs of employers of professionals can't, itself, use the term correctly?
No point going into semantics, you are 'professionally qualified', I'm not.

If I was asked to find someone who was professionally qualified, I'd want to know what with, whether degree + chartership minimum etc etc.

Problem comes, with how stringent you are with that and how important it ultimately is. If a recruiter understands your reasoning and can show you a par or better candidate who just hasn't got his chartership anymore then does that make the service offered less by offering a comparison or potentially cheaper alternative?

That is just a question by the way, I don't know if for your roles you HAVE to be XYZ qualified etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.