Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Working as a Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dubai?

Working as a Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dubai?

Old Mar 17th 2011, 9:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Working as a Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dubai?

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I knew we'd end up here it was inevitable . Look , you seem like a bright Lad , a lot of people on this forum know an awful lot about recruitment agents and recruitment agencies. They're not the most liked professions in this part of the world as a lot of people have been sold a dud deal some time or another and when you mess folks around on major issues they get a bit uptight.

I've been involved with them as an Employer and Employee for over 20 years and i'll only ever use or recommend no more than 5 individuals. The Gulf is full of Senior Recruiters / Head Hunters and Associated Directors or whatever the latest bullshit buzzword they want to call themselves and most of them are total shite.

I could go on on , dummy jobs , crap candidates , piss poor communication , extortionate fees , unprofessional service .......

That's me done ...............

The frustrating thing is I cannot possibly disagree with you.

But, there is a reason the businesses still use them, they are a necessary evil in the cases above or can be a useful provider.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 10:02 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

So what exams do you take and qualifications required to become a Senior Recruitment Consultant? Just curious.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 10:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by lionheart
So what exams do you take and qualifications required to become a Senior Recruitment Consultant? Just curious.
I don't understand what relevance that has?

I've placed people into senior roles in major organisations who have no qualifications at all and have progressed by coming up through the tools.

Happy to tell you what I've got and you can poke fun at it or accept it, either way - water off a duck's bat. I'm only in this thread because I don't with to be called scum or lower than the low because of what other people in this industry have done.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Saj786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
to be honest there is nothing like a "Senior Recruitment Consultant" you can have 1 or 10+ years experience and you will be doing the same thing but obviously I would like to think the more experience the better you are.

all these fancy and psh titles like senior and associate and director is crap

there are no quals required - personally, when i interview recruiters i would like to see they have some sort of accademics / degree but its not a deal breaker - the key thing is good communication and someone who is down to earth (and thick skinned)

this job is not rocket science - its such an obvious and logical job but its amazing how many people get it wrong
Old Mar 17th 2011, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sross2203

I've placed people into senior roles in major organisations who have no qualifications at all and have progressed by coming up through the tools.

Happy to tell you what I've got and you can poke fun at it or accept it, either way - water off a duck's bat. I'm only in this thread because I don't with to be called scum or lower than the low because of what other people in this industry have done.
Don't bite......
Old Mar 17th 2011, 10:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Don't bite......
my reply was about 1/3 of the length it was going to be...
Old Mar 17th 2011, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

my reply was about 1/3 of the length it was going to be...
ask him what qualifications a loss adjuster needs
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:03 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

The debate has been going on since long before this thread, and will continue long after it. There are three simple reasons why many of us don't have a high level of respect for recruiters (and the reasons--and the caveat further below--apply equally to the respect we have for estate agents):

1 Its not a profession, despite many in that line of work believing it to be and promoting it as such.
2 The vast majority of its practitioners behave like charlatans.
3 We need to use them from time to time.

Caveat: There are some good ones out there, but they are vastly outnumbered by the mediocre and worse.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
The debate has been going on since long before this thread, and will continue long after it. There are three simple reasons why many of us don't have a high level of respect for recruiters (and the reasons--and the caveat further below--apply equally to the respect we have for estate agents):

1 Its not a profession, despite many in that line of work believing it to be and promoting it as such.

Caveat: There are some good ones out there, but they are vastly outnumbered by the mediocre and worse.
in full agreement - however can we also agree that for the "some good ones" it is a profession.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
ask him what qualifications a loss adjuster needs
Recruitment Consultants (Senior, Associate, Director, Principal, Vice President, or even 'Deputy Acting Assistant Chief Recruitment Consultant') fail to realise, that today's Senior Appointment will be Tomorrow's Client! - It's two way street!

One day they are all over you (like a rash), with expressions such as "This job has got your name on it!" - And then 'Disappear Completely!'
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:10 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saj786
in full agreement - however can we also agree that for the "some good ones" it is a profession.
No. A job doesn't become a profession merely because you do it well. (Just as a profession doesn't cease to be one merely because you do it badly.)
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:12 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

Get me a job as an engineering something or other in the carribean for 20,000 dollars a month plus expenses and I will be your best publicist ever, I won't have a bad word said about you.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

No. A job doesn't become a profession merely because you do it well. (Just as a profession doesn't cease to be one merely because you do it badly.)
depends on your definition of a profession - i agree there are no formal qualifications / certifications needed however is still a service provided that is very much needed and in demand.

recruitment companies are turning over hunderds of thousands GBP which is demonstrable evidence that it is a profitable line of business which is adding some value and making a profit.

we will have to agree to disagree on this one
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by weasel central
Get me a job as an engineering something or other in the carribean for 20,000 dollars a month plus expenses and I will be your best publicist ever, I won't have a bad word said about you.
and if recruiters were magicians then this thread would not exist

if you look hard enough you may get some recruiter in the UAE who can promise you all that and more if you send across your CV.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:37 am
Account Closed

1. Whether someone define's it as a profession or not doesn't really make any difference...
2. Won't argue with that, not much point...
3. Differs from industry to industry and between their various sectors as to how frequently they are needed, but recruiters and head hunters are and will always be needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.