Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Working as a Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dubai?

Working as a Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dubai?

Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working as a Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dubai?

You will be fine on that joint income as you are skint and have no children. Most of the posters here are older and with families and have much higher expenditures to worry about (villas, school fees etc).

29K plus commission is really a decent income for a young couple especially as you'd be sharing one apartment. Just don't go wild boozing every night.

One note: you don't have to live in Business Bay. You can find proper one-bed for 45-50,000 in areas like Jumeirah Lake Towers, Tecom and the Greens. Rents are falling sharply as we speak and if you look hard you may find a Marina flat in one of the Marina Diamonds for under 50K.

Just the usual caveats: don't go into debt, don't max out your credit cards and pay off the cards EVERY SINGLE MONTH. Always send money home as often as you can and have a backup plan in case Dubai goes bust.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by distinctiveflair
After ignoring the question at hand and commenting on my 'unloved profession' you have the audacity to point out my reaction as a bad one! Seriously how rude are you people?

I couldn't give a **** about what you think of recruiters. I'm 23 and most probably make more money than your combined household income at aged 40 plus so you can sit in your hole and hate recruiters as much as you like. How tragic.

I initially posted a friendly post hoping to get information from expats in Dubai and to get to know people at the same time. Clearly not worth it.
Your not going to win many friends, and errr...even you have to know what kind of reputation recruiters have, you can't be that naive.

Also, don't forget, commission work means you've got to make sales.

People already in the ME are usually senior and making good money, or they'd not be there. Getting a bad rep before you even arrive won't be helping yourself out any.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:44 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Were coming to Dubai with 12,000 pounds in savings which will go towards our year of rent and polo car.
You can pay rent in monthly cheques in many places, for a small amount more rent (which can often be negotiated away). You can also lease a car, same deal. Keep your savings buffer as much as you possibly can.

With the calculations I had done it seemed we would have enough money for living and saving. I mean our combined monthly income will be:

29,000.00 AED = 5,158.57 GBP

Heck, however expensive it is I dont know how I would start to spend 5k every month. To me it seems very comfortable.... considering this is just basic?
Well, can you really survive in a studio? Are you doing it at the moment? Don't underestimate the effect of the lack of privacy.

That said, you could get a 1 bed for 50-60k pretty easily, but it'd be easier to find you want to blow your budget when you start househunting. Happened to us.

Otherwise, depends what you want to do here... I find nights out are on a par with nights out in London. Travel is cheap by road but there are only so many places to drive to; not expensive by plane but it is easy to be tempted into doing it a lot more than you might in the UK.

Finally, the best recruitment consultants I've worked with know how to charm both sides into seeing a mutually beneficial outcome (I know, I AM a strategy consultant). Relationships are even more important in business, in recruitment as in general, than in the UK.

Ethos, what should I be paying for a studio in the marina or downtown?
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

After ignoring the question at hand and commenting on my 'unloved profession' you have the audacity to point out my reaction as a bad one! Seriously how rude are you people?

I couldn't give a **** about what you think of recruiters. I'm 23 and most probably make more money than your combined household income at aged 40 plus so you can sit in your hole and hate recruiters as much as you like. How tragic.

I initially posted a friendly post hoping to get information from expats in Dubai and to get to know people at the same time. Clearly not worth it.
I am trying to see this from your point of view but am struggling to get my head that far up my own ass.

Now, thank you for allowing me to use that phrase for the second time on this forum. I appreciate the opportunity.

I'm in investment banking - having left London around 3 years ago, and I will give you some very honest feedback. It is tougher here than in London for recuiters. Way tougher. The market is VERY small - we all know each other thus meaning the need for agents is pretty limited. The sector is also well over staffed too.

That said, the majority of the recruiters here are pretty useless so there may be a window for you if you are any good*... but as you know this is a relationships game and I can tell you know the "London" attitude doesn't work here - It's different.

The salary is ok - you won't go hungry on the combined income.

I have a question for you though... how are you able to recruit for a role that you know nothing about? I've only met two good recruitment agents in my life - both over 40, and both ex-investment bankers who had done what they are recruiting for and so knew it all inside out. Or do you just match CVs to jobs?

Now go back to feeding on your host you parasite (only joking - I just like baiting recruiters).

* and no, I am not bitter - I recently changed jobs here and gave two 'top senior' agents a crack. They couldn't get me in front of any of their 'premium, well connected, long standing clients' - despite me being able to do so after making just two phone calls. I "delisted" myself within hours afterwards

Last edited by Millhouse; Jul 18th 2010 at 6:39 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

zoukla will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your positive response Tigger. I was just about to lose hope on the calibre of posters on this forum.

Were coming to Dubai with 12,000 pounds in savings which will go towards our year of rent and polo car.

With the calculations I had done it seemed we would have enough money for living and saving. I mean our combined monthly income will be:

29,000.00 AED = 5,158.57 GBP

Heck, however expensive it is I dont know how I would start to spend 5k every month. To me it seems very comfortable.... considering this is just basic?
:curse: WILL RECRUITERS STOP CONVERTING YOUR EARNINGS HERE INTO GBP, THINKING YOU WILL LIVING IN THE UK SPENDING IT IN THE UK.

UAE/DXB IS NOT CHEAP WHEN ACCOMMODATION IS WHAT IT IS etc.etc.

Only the young and frivolous come for the fun of it..others want to save and make a decent pension to retire somwhere ex-uk.

Be careful...all that glitters is not gold...listen to folks like bahatboy..the dean if he can be bothered with this post
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoukla
Be careful...all that glitters is not gold...listen to folks like bahatboy..the dean if he can be bothered with this post
hey, what about the rest of us?
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Just to go one further, I do feel a little sorry for recruiters/head hunters here as they have to deal with all the jumped up, useless, up their own backsides HR managers here, who have no f@dking clue about HR
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:50 pm
Good things take time

saddam will become famous soon enoughsaddam will become famous soon enough

mmm…interesting? I am 46 and earning 95000 aed/month ( was 55k)+ transport + villa + tickets++++ , and commissioned recruiters in the past to find helpers…thats why my pay jumped rapidly when found other ways? ME is a big grinding machine. Think twice before accepting the tip money dear

cheerio

Last edited by saddam; Jul 18th 2010 at 6:55 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
Just to go one further, I do feel a little sorry for recruiters/head hunters here as they have to deal with all the jumped up, useless, up their own backsides HR managers here, who have no f@dking clue about HR
Well that is true...
Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

strewth you are only 23! should come for a few years if you fancy but treat it as a life experience as opposed to career ladder step.

Old Jul 18th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 23 and most probably make more money than your combined household income at aged 40 plus.
Not if you'd take a 17k AED basic salary you don't. I spent two years in the UAE and can't recall meeting a single expat being paid as little as that, mainly because they wouldn't have been able to afford to live there. It's extremely expensive, the prices have no foothold of logic if you're converting to GBP and beyond that, there is little or no recruitment marketplace in Dubai at the moment. Very few companies are hiring and those that are simply don't need to pay recruiter's fees when they can pick people up easily at the moment. In your shoes I'd stay where you are right now.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:20 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

So naive and so arrogant at the same time.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

The irony is that this couple of twonks would actually fit in with a good proportion of the bullshitters that have arrived here in the last 2/3 years.

She actually think that a 'massive' combined salary of 30k a month is something worth bragging about. FTI the wife earns that on her own and it merely keeps her in clothes, food, nails and hair. A lot of people here pay 20-30k a month on rent.

But the funniest bit is where she talks about buying a polo. Landcruiser fodder.

Twonks..

Last edited by admon; Jul 19th 2010 at 6:09 am.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:26 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I was trying to be nice...

I:
a) told you there were threads on here about living on a budget
b) considered your combined salary and gave an honest and experienced opinion about it
c) suggested you consider your job security and some of the factors affecting it
d) suggested a rental plan that would limit your exposure
e) suggested you think about buying a car v other transport solutions
f) commented on food, booze and entertainment costs
g) most crucially, suggested that you consider the viability of your function here
h) tried to prepare you for the fact that recruiters are considered by most people to be on a par with estate agents.

You arrogantly state that you're a "Senior Recruiter"--nobody's senior at 23, except perhaps in the tea-making stakes. Your salary is probably appropriate for your worth, but I don't know any western expats making that little. As a senior you will, you suppose, be interacting with relatively senior candidates and clients--yet your post is full of primary school grammatical mistakes (do you know when its right to say "Me and my partner", "My partner and me" or "My partner and I"? -- I use recruiters, and for the senior positions I won't use anyone who can't get basic English grammar right; and do you know the difference between "i.e." and "e.g."?; or what a greengrocer's apostrophe is?).

And with the free, experienced advice you've been given, you have the nerve to criticise. You're the sort of person who gives recruiters a bad name.

I initially wished you good luck. That's retracted. I hope you get what you deserve.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:47 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

I turn my back for one weekend and miss all the fun...!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.