Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Working as a Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dubai?

Working as a Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dubai?

Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:37 pm
Banned

distinctiveflair will become famous soon enoughdistinctiveflair will become famous soon enough
Red face Working as a Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dubai?

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum so please be gentle with me!

Me and my husband have both been offered Senior Recruitment roles out in Dubai.

My package is a basic salary of 17,000 a month and his is 12,000 a month. We have our uncapped commission on top, private healthcare, 30 days off a year and accommodation but only for the first month.

1. Can we survive on this package?
We are a young couple looking to save and enjoy therefore were willing to let go of some luxuries ie a big apartment. We have looked at very large studio's in Business Bay for 45,000 AED a year which seem ideal.

2. Is anybody else working in recruitment in Dubai on here? What is it like?
I am a senior banking recruiter but i'll be working sales and marketing roles in Dubai.

3. What is the best pub to hit on a Friday night?!

Thanks!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working as a Senior Recruitment Consultant in Dubai?

Dhs45,000 for a very large Business Bay studio seems cheap. Are you sure?
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:48 pm
Banned

distinctiveflair will become famous soon enoughdistinctiveflair will become famous soon enough

Yup max 50,000 AED but many under that
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:54 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

You've come to the wrong forum for being gentle on recruiters. But who knows, you might find some people in a perverse frame of mind, Lionheart being one coz he didn't bite yer head off.

Good luck.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
You've come to the wrong forum for being gentle on recruiters. But who knows, you might find some people in a perverse frame of mind, Lionheart being one coz he didn't bite yer head off.

Good luck.
Whats the issue with being a recruiter for people on this forum?
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:10 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by distinctiveflair
Unloved profession.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Tigger99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and welcome, I am actually in Riyadh so cant help with the Dubai stuff but I think "Bahtaboy's" comments were aimed at the profession of recruiters.....

A lot of people on these forums are expat contractor / freelance types and from my experiences over the last twenty years, the recruiter always plays on the "rosie" side of things, never gives all the important but grotty details and the end goal is always commission...... so on par with estate agents...

Before we have an email war, I know all recruiters are not the same, my son is a recruiter in Dubai and has been for the last five years....

I wish all the best.
Tigger99
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:26 pm
Hit 16's

Anyway, didn't mean to rip in to you on your first visit. Apologies.

There have been a few threads in the last month about living on a budget in Dubai--do a search, or look back over the threads in this forum for a month or so. A combined basis of AED40k pcm will be OK--as you say, if you don't want to live in the lap of luxury then you should be OK. There are many things to consider, such as job security (if you're renting by yourself, ensure you have a break clause in your rental contract, otherwise if your situation here becomes untenable for whatever reason, you'll be committed--or will have already paid--for a whole year); car(s)--do you need or will/can you use taxis / public transport?; health insurance; flights home (once a year may be enough). Basic food is relatively cheap, but many expats don't buy or eat "basic" food--a good night out with booze can cost a couple of hundred quid.

The one big caveat--and you really need to do some serious research on this--is Dubai still recruiting bankers? And how much competition will you face? Those things will affect not only your commission, but also the longevity of your jobs.

Good luck

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Jul 18th 2010 at 1:29 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:28 pm
Hit 16's

Ah, got my sums wrong: AED 29k pcm. That starts to make things tight. Have a good look at the earlier threads.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:42 pm
Banned

Thanks for your positive response Tigger. I was just about to lose hope on the calibre of posters on this forum.

Were coming to Dubai with 12,000 pounds in savings which will go towards our year of rent and polo car.

With the calculations I had done it seemed we would have enough money for living and saving. I mean our combined monthly income will be:

29,000.00 AED = 5,158.57 GBP

Heck, however expensive it is I dont know how I would start to spend 5k every month. To me it seems very comfortable.... considering this is just basic?
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:45 pm
Hit 16's

One other thing might help you. A thicker skin
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

and maybe not questioning the caliber of the posters, when you are asking for free information?
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:12 pm
Banned

After ignoring the question at hand and commenting on my 'unloved profession' you have the audacity to point out my reaction as a bad one! Seriously how rude are you people?

I couldn't give a **** about what you think of recruiters. I'm 23 and most probably make more money than your combined household income at aged 40 plus so you can sit in your hole and hate recruiters as much as you like. How tragic.

I initially posted a friendly post hoping to get information from expats in Dubai and to get to know people at the same time. Clearly not worth it.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

After ignoring the question at hand and commenting on my 'unloved profession' you have the audacity to point out my reaction as a bad one! Seriously how rude are you people?

I couldn't give a **** about what you think of recruiters. I'm 23 and most probably make more money than your combined household income at aged 40 plus so you can sit in your hole and hate recruiters as much as you like. How tragic.

I initially posted a friendly post hoping to get information from expats in Dubai and to get to know people at the same time. Clearly not worth it.
oh dear, how to bring out the best in people you're looking for help from, eh...lol...

MM, xx
Old Jul 18th 2010, 4:17 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

and recruiters wonder why people think they're asshats.

ps you're in for a huge shock if you get here, most of the smucks on the bored probably make double what you make now and if you ever get here that will be triple

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.