British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Working oil offshore in UK, living in Dubai (UK TAX?) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/working-oil-offshore-uk-living-dubai-uk-tax-641275/)

jam19uk Nov 19th 2009 2:06 pm

Working oil offshore in UK, living in Dubai (UK TAX?)

Hi Guys,

Okay so heres my situation :

At present, I am employed by a Norwegian company and paid in Norwegian Krona into my UK bank account. I work 100nm off the UK coast onboard an oil production vessel.

I am wanting to move to Dubai and have been looking into purchasing property over there. I believe I will be able to attain a residential visa when purchasing property (Renewable every 6months however).

Does anyone know if I would be entitled to any tax relief. Its a difficult one as I will be working for a Norwegian company, yet working off the UK coast. I do have to transit through the UK for work which may also make any tax relief possible.

Any comments or suggestions on the best person to speak to would be most appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Regards,
James

Millhouse Nov 19th 2009 2:10 pm

Re: Working oil offshore in UK, living in Dubai (UK TAX?)

Originally Posted by jam19uk (Post 8110157)
Hi Guys,

Okay so heres my situation :

At present, I am employed by a Norwegian company and paid in Norwegian Krona into my UK bank account. I work 100nm off the UK coast onboard an oil production vessel.

I am wanting to move to Dubai and have been looking into purchasing property over there. I believe I will be able to attain a residential visa when purchasing property (Renewable every 6months however).

Does anyone know if I would be entitled to any tax relief. Its a difficult one as I will be working for a Norwegian company, yet working off the UK coast. I do have to transit through the UK for work which may also make any tax relief possible.

Any comments or suggestions on the best person to speak to would be most appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Regards,
James

Are you in UK waters? If so, then I would say my answer is no.

commander Nov 19th 2009 2:19 pm

Can't remember the specifics offhand but I know of loads of folk who reside in spain, italy, thailand and here in dubai but work a rotation in the UK offshore sector.

They don't pay UK tax

jam19uk Nov 19th 2009 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8110166)
Are you in UK waters? If so, then I would say my answer is no.

Thank you Emirates Millhouse for your fast reply!

Well I am not sure whats classed as UK waters now, it is used to be 12nm offshore but this may now have changed? I am however working in whats called the UK sector, so its possible the 12nm limit no longer applies.

I work onboard the installation for 4.7months a years (Total 146days pa), the remaining time I am on leave and would ideally be located in the UAE.

REPLY COMMANDER :
Commander your comments are also very interesting, many thanks! I have spoken to many people and am struggling to find out where I stand on this?

commander Nov 19th 2009 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by jam19uk (Post 8110183)
Thank you Emirates Millhouse for your fast reply!

Well I am not sure whats classed as UK waters now, it is used to be 12nm offshore but this may now have changed? I am however working in whats called the UK sector, so its possible the 12nm limit no longer applies.

I work onboard the installation for 4.7months a years (Total 146days pa), the remaining time I am on leave and would ideally be located in the UAE.

REPLY COMMANDER :
Commander your comments are also very interesting, many thanks! I have spoken to many people and am struggling to find out where I stand on this?

4.7 months a year?....bloody typical Noggie workshy contract..;-)

I'm meeting one such chap tomorrow. Ill ask.

jam19uk Nov 19th 2009 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8110192)
4.7 months a year?....bloody typical Noggie workshy contract..;-)

I'm meeting one such chap tomorrow. Ill ask.

Yeah the Norwegian work pattern tends to be pretty good. :)

Commander that would be brilliant! Thank you. I would appreciate any advice or info you have. :thumbsup:

Many thanks!

James.

commander Nov 19th 2009 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by jam19uk (Post 8110200)
Yeah the Norwegian work pattern tends to be pretty good. :)

Commander that would be brilliant! Thank you. I would appreciate any advice or info you have. :thumbsup:

Many thanks!

James.

I work a lot with noggies, and almost took on a contract with them in South Korea. I still have the contract on my PC. Salary aside, the T and C's were unreal. They really do look after their employee's!

jam19uk Nov 19th 2009 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8110206)
I work a lot with noggies, and almost took on a contract with them in South Korea. I still have the contract on my PC. Salary aside, the T and C's were unreal. They really do look after their employee's!

Yep thats true. Be even better of I could live in the UAE and avoid my hefty UK tax bill :-)

Ethos83 Nov 19th 2009 3:14 pm

There's no guarantee you can get a resident visa if you buy a property.

Tourist visa, no problem. But people who bought property expecting to get a resident visa found themselves in an awkward position. It's one of the 'promises' that Dubai developers sprouted during the boom but which has never come to reality.

jam19uk Nov 19th 2009 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8110288)
There's no guarantee you can get a resident visa if you buy a property.

Tourist visa, no problem. But people who bought property expecting to get a resident visa found themselves in an awkward position. It's one of the 'promises' that Dubai developers sprouted during the boom but which has never come to reality.

Yes I believe this is no longer as straight forward as it used to be. I was told however that although they no longer issue a full residential visa for buyers, they should issue a 6month visa?

A visitors visa would work for me to be honest as I am only off work for three weeks at a time, thus never exceeding the 30day stay in any one stay.

However, I think this type of VISA would not be acceptable if any tax relief was to be obtained?

Its quite a complicated scenario really, work for Norwegian company, paid in Krona, work offshore, 100nm off UK coast, work for just 146days a year, max stay not exceeding 30days in any one time. mmmmmmmmm Does anyone know any proffesional that can advice on this and do some investigation for me ?

Thanks everyone!

Hello.Kitty Nov 19th 2009 6:04 pm

"Meow" is an independent financial advisor. PM her and I'm sure she'll be able to help.

norsk Nov 19th 2009 6:53 pm

I find the term 'noggie' quite interesting being as I am Norwegian.

I'm not at all offended by the way, just never come across the term before and I've lived all over the world.

They do know how to take care of their employees in Norway that's absolutely true, but they also fleece you when it comes to tax and cost of living. Hence why I eventually emigrated...

Of course if you're not paying tax in Norway and not living there it has to be pure gold..:thumbsup:

commander Nov 20th 2009 12:51 am

Its a common phrase offshore in the oil and gas business. I love norway btw, expensive though

kittycat1 Nov 20th 2009 3:51 am

Hi James,

Ok your situation is all a bit complicated. Personally I think you'll get taxed soemwhere- I have a business in the UK but work full time and live in Dubai. I have to pay UK tax on any earnings I have from my business in the UK but not on my salary in Dubai. I imagine something similar will be the case here but not sure if you'd be paying it to the 'noggies' or blighty. Don't you have an accountant you can discuss this with?

Kittycat
x

Bijilo123 Nov 20th 2009 5:56 am

I agree with Kittycat1. Your tax liability will not be in the UK simply because the beneficiary of your labours is not a UK company, because you don't live there and because you don't work there. Seafarers and aircrew have different rules even when they are resident in the UK.

I think that you are liable to Norway in terms of tax who, themselves, may have exemptions for workers like you. As Scotland seem to think that it is their oil then they may come after you too... (joke)

I take my hat off to you - North Sea for the winter...

More generally I attach a link to HMRC 6 which is the UK revenue guide to residence and ordinary residence - it is actually very good and clear - but a bit long.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/hmrc6.pdf