Working in Mecca

Old Jul 15th 2009, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute
Default Working in Mecca

I've got a friend, he's European, catholic and he is one of the best in his line of work. He's a kitchen artist, making ice/chocolate/sugar sculptures and won a lot of prices around the globe.

Now he has been approached by a Saudi (Royalty, I am not sure to what degree) who owns a hotel in Mecca, and he wants him to come work for him, in Mecca!

The obvious problem is that he is catholic, and he isn't allowed entry into Mecca. The Saudi has found a "solution", he offered him a huge lump of money (think 6 figures, euro's) next to his already very high salary to convert into a Muslim.

What would you do? Would you consider it?
Old Jul 15th 2009, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Amnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really niceAmnesia180 is just really nice
Default Re: Working in Mecca

Originally Posted by Euc-
I've got a friend, he's European, catholic and he is one of the best in his line of work. He's a kitchen artist, making ice/chocolate/sugar sculptures and won a lot of prices around the globe.

Now he has been approached by a Saudi (Royalty, I am not sure to what degree) who owns a hotel in Mecca, and he wants him to come work for him, in Mecca!

The obvious problem is that he is catholic, and he isn't allowed entry into Mecca. The Saudi has found a "solution", he offered him a huge lump of money (think 6 figures, euro's) next to his already very high salary to convert into a Muslim.

If he is true to his beliefs, then there is no question - he would not convert.

However, if he is Catholic because he was born into a Catholic religion, but has rarely practiced the religion - then why not? (If he doesn't take religion that seriously). It's a new experience and there may be answers for him.

However - I would be VERY wary of this, and probably something I would not be prepared to do.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 3:36 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

no amount of money would make me want to move to Mecca!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 4:42 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't do it for any amount of money - I wouldn't covert to Islam for love or money.

That said if he wants to pay me up front I'll do a runner and give half the money to organisations that have been set up to provide security to former Muslims who need security and protection because of the death threats they live under....that would be ironic hehe.

N.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 5:36 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

If he's young, free and single, and his religion isn't a big deal to him...why not
His employer would be aware he's only a Muslim on paper, so would there be a problem? Could be an interesting experience to work for a rich Saudi family.
Once you go away again, you'd be back to 'normal' I assume.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:56 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

His visa would then say he was a Muslim. And he'd therefore be expected to trot off to the Mosque every prayer time (enforced by the Muttawa), dress and act appropriately, etc.

Plus there's no concept of "convert back" from Islam - if he did it, he'd want to avoid most of the region for the rest of his life.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Zico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really niceZico2009 is just really nice

You have to ask the right question in order to get the right answer.

It isnt "would you take the money" - people are greedy most would.

It is "What happens once you have the money and you're in the Kingdom"

Can you leave easily? Do they hold your passport?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zico2009
You have to ask the right question in order to get the right answer.

It isnt "would you take the money" - people are greedy most would.

It is "What happens once you have the money and you're in the Kingdom"

Can you leave easily? Do they hold your passport?
I wasn't really asking advice per se, it was more a general question what people on here would do.

He decided to do it a while back already and he's moving next week, he is not a firm catholic or anything (God is lucky if he goes to church on christmas).
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:07 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Couldn't he work in Jeddah as its only 30 minutes drive away and get the Sheikh to send somebody to collect his works?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:44 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
His visa would then say he was a Muslim. And he'd therefore be expected to trot off to the Mosque every prayer time (enforced by the Muttawa), dress and act appropriately, etc.

Plus there's no concept of "convert back" from Islam - if he did it, he'd want to avoid most of the region for the rest of his life.
Indeed...apostacy is punishable by death under Islamic law. There's a reason why a number former Muslims like Wafa Sultan live in hiding most of the time...

N.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

To put it simply.....no chance!!

Even IF he converted people would get wind that money had changed hands and he'd surely be persecuted. It's not like they'd need many more reasons to do so.

It just doesn't stack up for me.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Religion is a very delicate situation isn't it. Look at my family who brought me up in a very strict irish catholic type situation all knowing that the minute I hit 13 my life would change and they would open the wiccan door, where they wrong......abolutely not, i spent my early years fitting in with all my peers and not being an outcast (although my mothe says I was a nightmare, on the whole why??) , as a teenager i was willing to take on the world so I was more than happy to do my year and a day, in all honesty, your belief in the gods (god person) lies within you, if it is easier for those around you to believe what they believe you are simply making it easier for them , it's a philanthropric state , not a compromise, you reach a state of maturity that you know who you are and labels are not important, if you know that place in yourself then that's ok with me, why must we thrust our own beliefs on others, just do your own thing and know that that's the right thing for you.

My beliefs in the gods make sense to me
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

lanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to alllanarkwitch is a name known to all

Like i said earlier i have been drinking and spelling may not be brilliant, and yes I do make my own mead!!!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

**** I've ust realised theres people at work will realise I'm an actual witch!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:01 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

you're not much fun drunk...pity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.