Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Working in Lebanon

Working in Lebanon

Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Beirut_curious is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Lebanon

Tried findng any recent threads on Lebanon but coldn't find any. A friend has possibility of work there but although I worked in Dubai I am not sure what the situation is and I may end up joining them to help out onthe contract. Any issues setting up companies, finding sponsors, getting work visas, etc. Is it safe for women to work there. Is there any kind of expat community there. Kiwis (I'm a Kiwi)? Brits? Any advice. Thanks
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Lebanon

Originally Posted by Beirut_curious
Tried findng any recent threads on Lebanon but coldn't find any. A friend has possibility of work there but although I worked in Dubai I am not sure what the situation is and I may end up joining them to help out onthe contract. Any issues setting up companies, finding sponsors, getting work visas, etc. Is it safe for women to work there. Is there any kind of expat community there. Kiwis (I'm a Kiwi)? Brits? Any advice. Thanks
Lebanon isn't 'Middle East', which might explain the lack of threads, but I've visited Beirut a few times............ just go. If you have a pulse, you'll love it.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Lebanon isn't 'Middle East', which might explain the lack of threads, but I've visited Beirut a few times............ just go. If you have a pulse, you'll love it.
eh?

It's not in Gulf, but most definitions of the Middle East include Lebanon. If you want to be pedantic it's in the Mashriq but that's still regarded as the Middle East.

There are no threads as few british expats live there. Those that do are probably too busy being up to their nuts in girls and partying all night to be posting on here.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, we visited Beirut last year for along weekend, had a great time. As Millhouse suggests, if I was living there, I wouldn't be spending much time posting here for sure.

I think recently, there were one or two concerns, not about security, but about the political / social unrest that seems to be sweeping the area. I think its all settled down now - but in a nutshell, if I had a chance of working & living there, I'd go tomorrow.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Beirut makes Dubai look like Cleethorpes...!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Yeah, we visited Beirut last year for along weekend, had a great time. As Millhouse suggests, if I was living there, I wouldn't be spending much time posting here for sure.

I think recently, there were one or two concerns, not about security, but about the political / social unrest that seems to be sweeping the area. I think its all settled down now - but in a nutshell, if I had a chance of working & living there, I'd go tomorrow.
Agreed! Last year, when things got too 'Dicey' in Baghdad, we decanted to Beirut. I never thought that I would be looking forward to moving to Beirut! It was a very enjoyable experience - apart from the driving!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't think the driving was that bad in Beirut. THe reason being as the roads in the centre are quite narrow, so the pace tends to be slow - although very crowded. So drivers tend to jockey and jostle more.

Here in KSA, big wide roads going right through the centre of Riyadh, with big SUV's tearing past at 140+ kmph? I know where I'd rather be.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Didn't think the driving was that bad in Beirut. THe reason being as the roads in the centre are quite narrow, so the pace tends to be slow - although very crowded. So drivers tend to jockey and jostle more.

Here in KSA, big wide roads going right through the centre of Riyadh, with big SUV's tearing past at 140+ kmph? I know where I'd rather be.
Never mind, it will soon be Ramadan, and they will change to the Night Shift!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
OMG I will have been to all three places inside a month when I visit the inlaws week after next.

The Lebanese swan round Dubai thinking they own the place. Same could be said of the Yorkies in Cleethorpes during the summer hols. Two fat ladies...
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
OMG I will have been to all three places inside a month when I visit the inlaws week after next.

The Lebanese swan round Dubai thinking they own the place. Same could be said of the Yorkies in Cleethorpes during the summer hols. Two fat ladies...
I reckon you could stand a pint of Cider on the back of a Lebanese birds arse and tell her to walk down the SZR and you wouldn't spill a drop...!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Beirut_curious is an unknown quantity at this point

Having worked in Dubai I pretty know what to expect from the Lebanese who work in Dubai.
I was asked why I hadn't started on the botox when I was 30 and the men looked on me with some pity and dismay when they saw me wandering around a construction site not wearing my Lebanese hooker shoes. I found all L men had a shoe fetish - why is that? I must start buying shoes!

None of you got experience working there?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

A WORD OF CAUTION!
Q: What do you get wne you cross a Lebanese with an Iraqi
A: Someone who is to lazy to go out and steal!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jackthehat
A WORD OF CAUTION!
Q: What do you get wne you cross a Lebanese with an Iraqi
A: Someone who is to lazy to go out and steal!
good one..
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Brill description
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:36 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd be interested to know what the package is. Beirut is one of those places where wages are very low but the cost of living is comparatively high.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.