Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Working in IRAQ/AFGHAN

Working in IRAQ/AFGHAN

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in IRAQ/AFGHAN

Originally Posted by millsy-32
Thanks for all your input lads have u all been out there working in the construction industry or just things you've heard . Jack what's Dubai like then is it worth a taper and jointer going out there ??
Mate, if it's what I think it is (i.e. you stick tape over the plaster boards before skimming) then you really are not going to make a livable salary outside of Europe - here you would be up against Indians prepared to live 10 to a room and eat two bowls of rice a day and meat once a week.

Sorry to break the news... Unless, it's like uncle bob says - if you are in management then you might be able to find something better - but even then I suspect that you would be competing with the low cost arabs who are prepared to live 2 to a room and eat meat 4 times a week.

good luck though
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nice

Originally Posted by millsy-32
Thanks for all your input lads have u all been out there working in the construction industry or just things you've heard . Jack what's Dubai like then is it worth a taper and jointer going out there ??
If you want to look at it from another angle try your local TA Regiment or RAF Reserve as you may get a nice little 3 month tour paid for by HM Government where you are insured failing that there is work available but it is in a conflict zone and the risks are high and 3 of my guys took a hit last week but survived, However i see that the UK has had 30 stabbings and 10 shooting in the last week and you dont get danger money in the UK!!!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnbuoy
If you want to look at it from another angle try your local TA Regiment or RAF Reserve as you may get a nice little 3 month tour paid for by HM Government where you are insured failing that there is work available but it is in a conflict zone and the risks are high and 3 of my guys took a hit last week but survived, However i see that the UK has had 30 stabbings and 10 shooting in the last week and you dont get danger money in the UK!!!
What a strange retort , are you implying that you're better off in a combat war zone than in a village in the Cotswolds ?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

millsy-32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Johnbouy I'm 32 probaly a bit old for the TA's army or RAF lol I joined the paras when I left school but got an injury after a couple years so got MD !! I'm in good physical shape so working in a conflict zone wouldn't bother me as long as the money was good but from what the other lads are saying they got locals there doing my job unless you know of somewhere that needs taper and jointers.
At the end of the day I got a misses and step daughter to think about perhaps I'm panicking about work/money and things will turn around soon I know they wouldn't be too happy about me working in a war zone but if the money was right I'd be off.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nice

Australia is going big at the moment on construction so you may benefit from looking out there

http://www.simplyhired.com.au/a/jobs/list/q-plasterer

http://www.google.ae/#hl=en&source=h...w=1067&bih=478

Failing that I can give you a few contacts for Security in Hot Zones all ex Para or Credenhill
Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Think Oz may be a better bet given the number of vacancies. A guy I knew well in the UK had to go and get some NVQs or C&Gs to prove he was a plasterer before oz would accept him even though he had been doing the job 28 years. However he has been in oz a couple of years now and I am not so I think it was worth his effort.

Why not go down that front. War zones are for the military, for Walters or for ****ing retards who dont know better
Old Jul 24th 2011, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is going big at the moment on construction so you may benefit from looking out there

http://www.simplyhired.com.au/a/jobs/list/q-plasterer

Failing that I can give you a few contacts for Security in Hot Zones all ex Para or Credenhill
Australia is desperately short of skills in virtually every profession. My brother-in-law emigrated to Perth ten years ago and could not believe how unskilled everyone was. It hasn't changed much, apparently.............
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

millsy-32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the input lads I'll have a look into things .