British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Working as Freelancer vs Salaried in KSA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/working-freelancer-vs-salaried-ksa-919286/)

Tahir84 Nov 14th 2018 8:07 am

Working as Freelancer vs Salaried in KSA

Hi All, I was after some advice from massively helpful and experienced bunch from BE. I was recently approached by someone currently in the KSA who is offering a Freelancer role on a Rail project led by a consortium. I always wanted to move to Middle East with family (wife and 2 toddlers) so never knew whether freelancer (or a contractor as we know them in the UK) option was available. He asked me about hourly rate to offer the package however what I need to understand is positives or negatives of working as a Freelancer in KSA? If I was to move, I would like the family to join me but he said that on Freelancer contracts that is not usually possible. I understand that the recent cutbacks and changes in tax/dependent fees etc. has meant that single contracts may be preferred (from employers' perspective) in comparison to family ones, I think.

I would appreciate some guidance on this please.

reddiva Nov 15th 2018 6:40 am

Re: Working as Freelancer vs Salaried in KSA

Originally Posted by Tahir84 (Post 12593169)
Hi All, I was after some advice from massively helpful and experienced bunch from BE. I was recently approached by someone currently in the KSA who is offering a Freelancer role on a Rail project led by a consortium. I always wanted to move to Middle East with family (wife and 2 toddlers) so never knew whether freelancer (or a contractor as we know them in the UK) option was available. He asked me about hourly rate to offer the package however what I need to understand is positives or negatives of working as a Freelancer in KSA? If I was to move, I would like the family to join me but he said that on Freelancer contracts that is not usually possible. I understand that the recent cutbacks and changes in tax/dependent fees etc. has meant that single contracts may be preferred (from employers' perspective) in comparison to family ones, I think.

I would appreciate some guidance on this please.

Freelance or contactor roles usually only pay a daily rate plus accomodation for yourself therefore you would have to arrange alternative accomodation for you and your family, plus medical insurance ( as only you will be covered) it all depends what daily rate you get and you also need to ask them if you can sponsor your family as a contractor ( usually this is worker only)
Contractors are not afforded the same benefits etc as permanent workers are

scot47 Nov 15th 2018 9:35 am

If on a business visa then you cannot bring dependants.

sicklyman Nov 16th 2018 2:42 pm

Please be aware that the phrase "not usually possible" means "never ever possible" in the Gulf.

farooq12 Dec 8th 2018 7:43 am

dependents are not allowed i guess on business visa