British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Working freelance ontop of contract (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/working-freelance-ontop-contract-620852/)

kittycat1 Jul 18th 2009 11:44 am

Working freelance ontop of contract

Hi all,

I'm going to be working full time Sun-Thurs, (+ occasional travel over weekends),but am interested in doing a bit of freelance work as well, - bit of personal shopping and styling work.

How does it work over there- would I need to register or anything like that or could I get away with just doing cash jobs, or do I have to declare earnings to anyone?

x

Slingshot Jul 18th 2009 11:49 am

Re: Working freelance ontop of contract

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 7763427)
Hi all,

I'm going to be working full time Sun-Thurs, (+ occasional travel over weekends),but am interested in doing a bit of freelance work as well, - bit of personal shopping and styling work.

How does it work over there- would I need to register or anything like that or could I get away with just doing cash jobs, or do I have to declare earnings to anyone?

x

no need to declare it to anyone or register anywhere
I did plenty of private jobs when I was employed

kittycat1 Jul 18th 2009 11:54 am

no need to declare it to anyone or register anywhere
I did plenty of private jobs when I was employed
Oh Happy Days!!!:thumbsup:

Grace O Malley Jul 18th 2009 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 7763427)
Hi all,

x

from a legal stand point you are only supposed to work for the company that sponsors you. If your company ok with it, get them to issue u a letter of no objection.

kittycat1 Jul 18th 2009 12:35 pm

Hi Grace,

Ok will do!

Thanks so much

Cat
x

Grace O Malley Jul 18th 2009 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 7763504)
Hi Grace,

Ok will do!

Thanks so much

Cat
x

:)

shakh your bootie Jul 20th 2009 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 7763492)
from a legal stand point you are only supposed to work for the company that sponsors you. If your company ok with it, get them to issue u a letter of no objection.

Hmm. I tried the honest approach and went to my boss for a LONO... He told me that the request would be rejected by "the employer", but no-one would be bothered if I went ahead with my private consultancy stuff without permission. He was right.

Grace O Malley Jul 20th 2009 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7767739)
Hmm. I tried the honest approach and went to my boss for a LONO... He told me that the request would be rejected by "the employer", but no-one would be bothered if I went ahead with my private consultancy stuff without permission. He was right.

Well the risk is as always being caught or some nice person with a bit of green eye reporting you. Legally you are only supposed to work for the company that sponsors you.

shakh your bootie Jul 20th 2009 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 7767810)
Well the risk is as always being caught or some nice person with a bit of green eye reporting you. Legally you are only supposed to work for the company that sponsors you.

Absolutely correct. But like risking drinking without a liquor license, it's one of those risks you can choose to take in the Alice in Blunderland world of the UAE..........

Grace O Malley Jul 20th 2009 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7767867)
Absolutely correct. But like risking drinking without a liquor license, it's one of those risks you can choose to take in the Alice in Blunderland world of the UAE..........

yep sure is, you just cant cry into ya beer when ya get caught for either one.