Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Working in Dubai - What steps do I take?

Working in Dubai - What steps do I take?

Old Aug 24th 2004, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

mandalay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Dubai - What steps do I take?

Me and the fella are considering working overseas - possibly Dubai next year. The fella is an architect and I have been working in media publishing sales for some years now. Does anyone have any advice on who to contact first? Obtaining a working permit? All advice and info would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks!
Old Aug 26th 2004, 9:33 am
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice
Default Re: Working in Dubai - What steps do I take?

Originally Posted by mandalay
Me and the fella are considering working overseas - possibly Dubai next year. The fella is an architect and I have been working in media publishing sales for some years now. Does anyone have any advice on who to contact first? Obtaining a working permit? All advice and info would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks!
Have you seen the **************** thread (21 August), that looks quite useful or google recruitment agencies in Dubai.

You have to get a job before you start worrying about work permits. (You could also check the job section in Gulf News and Khaleej Times online.) Once you've been offered a position, your employer will set the wheels in motion for all else. You can also enter Dubai on a 90 day visit visa and actively job hunt whilst you're out here if you can afford to but getting a job has to be your first step.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 8:52 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
Have you seen the **************** thread (21 August), that looks quite useful or google recruitment agencies in Dubai.

You have to get a job before you start worrying about work permits. (You could also check the job section in Gulf News and Khaleej Times online.) Once you've been offered a position, your employer will set the wheels in motion for all else. You can also enter Dubai on a 90 day visit visa and actively job hunt whilst you're out here if you can afford to but getting a job has to be your first step.
This is exactly what my wife & I are doing. We were in Dubai at the start of August, met some people in our industries and some recruitment companies. All went well, however I really feel you have to be in Dubai to really make it happen for work.

So - we are going out in mid October this year and have a budget for 3 months in which to find work or bug out back home to the UK!

We're pretty confident of finding work, but you never know....

Make contacts from here, then develop them out threre. Good luck!
Old Aug 27th 2004, 9:04 am
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Autonomy
This is exactly what my wife & I are doing. We were in Dubai at the start of August, met some people in our industries and some recruitment companies. All went well, however I really feel you have to be in Dubai to really make it happen for work.

So - we are going out in mid October this year and have a budget for 3 months in which to find work or bug out back home to the UK!

We're pretty confident of finding work, but you never know....

Make contacts from here, then develop them out threre. Good luck!
I agree...that is definitely the best way to go about it- if you can afford to do it. Good Luck!
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

mandalay is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck to you both whilst you're searching! Let me know how you get on.
I have a friend who has just moved out to Dubai to start work as a primary school teacher. I'm thinking that a short break out there may be a good idea so that we can get our bearings and hunt down some contacts. Does anyone know which airlines offer the best deals and how much I would be looking at for the return flight?

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 12:57 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Cherrypie - thanks!

Mandalay - We're with BA in Oct this year £650 or so for 2 tickets, rtn part can be changed for a £50 fee. When we went out in Aug we went with Emirates for £540 rtn (combined price, not each).

I've found travelocity and expedia to be ok for finding good deals.

If you want to go out then it's getting to be a good time to go - it'll not be as hot as when we went out in Aug (45 degrees), Ramadan will end mid Nov, that could be a good time to go out, but not sure how this will be reflected in flight prices.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Nevi is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Autonomy]Cherrypie - thanks!

I think Ramadan is actually going to be end of October start of November - ie finishing halfway through November.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 1:24 pm
Powered by cows

[QUOTE=Nevi]
Originally Posted by Autonomy
Cherrypie - thanks!

I think Ramadan is actually going to be end of October start of November - ie finishing halfway through November.
Hi Nevi - that's what I was meaning! As far as I know the dates this year are 16 October - 14 November 2004, though you are in Dubai so I guess you'll know better than me!
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 2:21 pm
Simply Brilliant

Originally Posted by mandalay
Best of luck to you both whilst you're searching! Let me know how you get on.
I have a friend who has just moved out to Dubai to start work as a primary school teacher. I'm thinking that a short break out there may be a good idea so that we can get our bearings and hunt down some contacts. Does anyone know which airlines offer the best deals and how much I would be looking at for the return flight?

Personally, I feel the airlines offering the best deals from Heathrow (I assume you mean cheapest) are Gulf Air and Qatar Airlines. Though again, much depends on time of year or offers etc.etc.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 11:31 am
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

Personally, I feel the airlines offering the best deals from Heathrow (I assume you mean cheapest) are Gulf Air and Qatar Airlines. Though again, much depends on time of year or offers etc.etc.
just booked via expedia.co.uk

£267 from LHR to DXB but u change in Doha. Using Qatar Airlines.Out on a Thursday and back about 10 days later on the Sunday in the AM.

That is return flight and one person....

Cherry, u are very addicted aren't u!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 12:04 pm
Simply Brilliant

Originally Posted by joseph.creative

Cherry, u are very addicted aren't u!!!
I think I have become Joe.

I've also turned into a helpful busybody who can't resist getting a word in on every thread. Lol! Shall try to exercise some self-control.

Have you tried the personality quiz that Xabiachacha's (sp?) posted in the lounge? Have a go. It's a laugh.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 12:13 pm
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

I think I have become Joe.

I've also turned into a helpful busybody who can't resist getting a word in on every thread. Lol! Shall try to exercise some self-control.

Have you tried the personality quiz that Xabiachacha's (sp?) posted in the lounge? Have a go. It's a laugh.

hmmm helpful busybody!!! no comment in fear of retribution!!! lol

u do seem to spreading ur self around a bit but in a good way! sorry that came out wrong.

hmm roll on September end as can't do much more from the UK!

going to go and cut the grass and do some paperwork so may do quiz later.. am at home today.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 12:17 pm
Simply Brilliant

u do seem to spreading ur self around a bit but in a good way! sorry that came out wrong.
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 12:24 pm
The 5th Amendment

u had me worried there for a sec as the icons did not load !!! and i thought u had done a blank mail in anger!!!

hmmm so are u doing anything at all today or are u just glued to the 'puter at the weekends as well?

well I am going round in circles now on the web looking for things so think that i can;t do anymore till i walk thru the front entrance of media city and start to annoy people! hmm wonder if i will get deported! that is a joke...
Old Sep 3rd 2004, 3:39 pm
Simply Brilliant

u had me worried there for a sec as the icons did not load !!! and i thought u had done a blank mail in anger!!!

hmmm so are u doing anything at all today or are u just glued to the 'puter at the weekends as well?

well I am going round in circles now on the web looking for things so think that i can;t do anymore till i walk thru the front entrance of media city and start to annoy people! hmm wonder if i will get deported!
It's not my weekend...we actually work a "Western week" - Monday-Friday, so our weekend is Sat/Sun.

I'll give you a couple of tips on how to get deported. Get seriously pi**ed and walk the streets or neck your girlfriend in a public place.

Want anymore tips, just give me a shout!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.