British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Working in Dubai for two weeks for a British company (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/working-dubai-two-weeks-british-company-942063/)

JohnLocke Dec 24th 2021 12:57 pm

Working in Dubai for two weeks for a British company

Hey,

I work in IT and I work for a UK employer. As I'm currently working remotely due to COVID restriction and my employer instructing all staff to work at home for the time being, would it be possible to work remotely in Dubai in my hotel for a UK company for two weeks using a normal tourist visa? After two weeks, I'll return back home and work from there. I just thought it'd be far more relaxing sitting in a hotel in Dubai rather than miserable old London.

Thanks

SandyMcSand Dec 24th 2021 5:53 pm

Re: Working in Dubai for two weeks for a British company

Shouldn’t be much of an issue, although HR might have something to say about it. But 2 weeks should cause any issues. From a Visa perspective you get a 30 day visa when you land.

JohnLocke Dec 24th 2021 8:36 pm

Ohhhh okay, thank you so much for your response. My work are completely fine with it, so I would be okay just going to Dubai for two weeks and just working from my hotel using my laptop for my British employer? Sorry, I just want to make sure I understood everything correctly.

neelz123456 Dec 25th 2021 3:57 am

How would it be any different than going for vacations anywhere in the world for two weeks and opening up your laptop to work remotely? Your home base is still UK. Unless you engage in local business activities you should be fine.

christmasoompa Dec 25th 2021 6:09 am

Originally Posted by neelz123456 (Post 13083742)
How would it be any different than going for vacations anywhere in the world for two weeks and opening up your laptop to work remotely? Your home base is still UK. Unless you engage in local business activities you should be fine.

That’s not the case in all countries though. The US for instance, where you can’t work (even for a business based elsewhere) without a work permit. Of course, the reality is that it’s highly unlikely anybody would find out, but it’s technically not permitted.

UKMS Dec 25th 2021 9:12 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13083747)
That’s not the case in all countries though. The US for instance, where you can’t work (even for a business based elsewhere) without a work permit. Of course, the reality is that it’s highly unlikely anybody would find out, but it’s technically not permitted.

so are you saying that when I visit the US HQ of my employer for business meetings I need a work permit ? …. I’ve done it for years, I’ve always declared the reason for my visit at US immigration and never had an issue.

christmasoompa Dec 26th 2021 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by UKMS (Post 13083754)
so are you saying that when I visit the US HQ of my employer for business meetings I need a work permit ? …. I’ve done it for years, I’ve always declared the reason for my visit at US immigration and never had an issue.

No, business meetings are permitted under the terms of the VWP/B visa. It’s a bit odd, but the US differentiates between conducting business and anything ‘productive’ - the latter (which would include doing your normal job there for a few weeks) needs a work permit.

As an example - you can attend business seminars, but couldn’t conduct one.

Clear as mud eh?!