British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   working in dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/working-dubai-213554/)

gemmas Feb 28th 2004 9:05 am

working in dubai

Hello can anybody give me some advice please I have been offered a job at a new bar/resteraunt that is opening in dubai,if i decide to take the job i will be travelling alone so i am scared but also excited,just wondering how safe it is for single girls out there and would i find it easy to meet other british people in the same position as me who have also travelled out there alone,i have lived and worked abroad before in spain but i dont know much about dubai,i have heard good things about the place but i just wanted somebodys honest opinions on what it will really be like for me.
Thank you

philipz Feb 28th 2004 2:45 pm

Well in the Arab world, women are respected, but that respect will depend on how much skin you are showing. :D Yep, you will meet alot of british people in your work place and there are places where brits hang out, so it depends on how available you are after work hours. So once you get here, drop us a line in the forum and I know there are alot of brits in this forum that can help you out more.

gemmas Feb 28th 2004 8:01 pm

Thanks philipz for your reply i will get in touch if i do decide to take up the job,hopefully i will speak to you then.

jois_ph Feb 29th 2004 2:58 am

Hi gem! Hi philipz!

I am also planning to go dubai this march. would try if i could get a job there.

Sir Philipz, i sent you an email but apparently you havent read it yet as i got no reply :-(

I was just asking about getting employed in dubai on a visit visa.
Is it easy to find a job there esp. for an accounting graduate and have a banking experience for almost 8 yrs now? is it possible in one month or two months time to get employed?

Was the new rule of 3-month ban on visit visa fully implemented now? am i allowed to extend my stay for another one month before my two month expires? is there any fee for that?

I would really appreciate if you gonna give some info on these stuff.

thanks in advance.

Nevi Feb 29th 2004 3:44 am

Re: working in dubai

Originally posted by gemmas
Hello can anybody give me some advice please I have been offered a job at a new bar/resteraunt that is opening in dubai,if i decide to take the job i will be travelling alone so i am scared but also excited,just wondering how safe it is for single girls out there and would i find it easy to meet other british people in the same position as me who have also travelled out there alone,i have lived and worked abroad before in spain but i dont know much about dubai,i have heard good things about the place but i just wanted somebodys honest opinions on what it will really be like for me.
Thank you
Duabi is a safe environment, so there are no worries on the front. As for meeting other Brits - if you work in a bar/restaurant, then chances are you will probably meet quite a few Brits. There are always people on this forum that would be willing to help out with any further questions etc.
On some of the other threads in this section, people have written at length about Dubai - so probably worth checking those out.

philipz Feb 29th 2004 10:38 am

No problem gemmas, hope to see ya down here.

Hi jois_ph, I had replied to your email yesterday, after finding it in my hotmail junk mail folder. The main problem with email sent from the forum is that they have no indication that its from the forum, thats why I nearly deleted it as it only gave your id "jois_ph" and your subject "queries". The same problem happened to me with Nevi's email, luckily I opened it. :D Do check your mail and if you havent gotten it I can reply again to it.

Well I havent heard back from you Nevi, you still in Dubai or are you out.