Working in DIFC

Old Mar 20th 2017, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

shake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really nice
Default Working in DIFC

Hello,

I am in the process of moving to Dubai have been informed I will be working in the DIFC office.

I will not be provided with parking and want to ask if anyone can share the cost or how parking is there (impossible to find a spot)?

Some future colleagues I have spoken to mentioned they take a cab in and out as it is still cheaper than renting a sport, is this True? One of them lives in the marina.

Look forward to hearing back, thank you in advance.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 11:26 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in DIFC

There are two metro stations connected to the DIFC (Emirates Towers and Financial centre) so that might be an option depending on where exactly your office is located. Unless a banker can't be seen on the metro???
Old Mar 20th 2017, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Metro is a good option. Especially as you'll likely be going opposite the main traffic flow, so the carriages won't be crowded. There's even a gold class carriage with comfortable seats.

I know people whose wives drop them off at metro stations nearest to them and they take the metro to DIFC (or other places). This works well if you're under 6-7 stops. More than that it's probably quicker to drive.

Getting in/out of DIFC by car/taxi can be a bit of a mare, FYI.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

A parking space is around 20k-30k aed a year.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

shake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really nice

I am not a banker.

20-30K per year, that is steep, Metro sounds like the best option.

Assuming you live somewhere north and not being too familiar with the Metro, I assume there no way you can drive and park at the station to catch the Metro?

Thank you for your help!
Old Mar 20th 2017, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shake2000
I am not a banker.

Assuming you live somewhere north and not being too familiar with the Metro, I assume there no way you can drive and park at the station to catch the Metro?

Thank you for your help!
With the exception of the last stop. You cannot easily park near the metro.

Live on SZR and walk.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

You won't be living north of DIFC, FYI. Well, you could but it's not likely.

It is feasible to park within a few blocks (under 5 min walk) of both Noor Bank and First Gulf Bank stations, on the west (sea) side. Those stations border the Umm Suqeim area, a quiet residential district and the parking is on-street and free. No ticketing! The stations are only 4-5 stops away from DIFC. I did this all the time if wanting to take the metro to a destination where I didn't want to deal with the traffic or park. But this is generally only realistic for a daily commute if you live in the Umm Suqeim area, otherwise you're prolonging your commute if coming from elsewhere.

FYI I just took a look at propertyfinder.ae and searched for Umm Suqeim and wow, prices really seemed to have tumbled. Lots of simple, usually (though not always) older compound and attached villas for 150-180k AED. I'd jump for those because the proximity to the beaches and the amenities of Umm Suqeim / Jumeriah is fantastic. Get a cheap used car for yourself (the lady gets the 4 x 4 of course) and do what I suggested, park near FGB or Noor and take the metro in. Problem sorted.

Alternatively, get a nice apartment in Dubai Marina within a few blocks of the metro stations (there's two) and take the metro straight to DIFC. 25 minutes in the train, add another 20 minutes walking time for both ends, total 45 minutes door to door, which isn't bad.

Originally Posted by shake2000
I am not a banker.

Thank you for your help!
Old Mar 21st 2017, 5:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
With the exception of the last stop. You cannot easily park near the metro.

Live on SZR and walk.
Live SZR / Downtown and cab / walk.

Definitely easier
Old Mar 29th 2017, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Emptydeys is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not sure where 20k parking comes from,

straight from the DIFC website the costs are:

Self-Membership: AED 1000/- per month

So 12k a year. And it's in the DIFC building. As long as you get into work before 8.15 or after 9.45 and leave before 4.45 and after 7 you may miss all the traffic
Old Mar 29th 2017, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, much appreciated.

I was quoted the 1,000 AED number by a future colleague and was confused based on what I heard here.