Reload this Page >

To take or not to take - DVDs to KSA? A dillemma

To take or not to take - DVDs to KSA? A dillemma

Old Mar 2nd 2017, 10:07 am
Just Joined

2nd_opossum is an unknown quantity at this point
Question To take or not to take - DVDs to KSA? A dillemma

Dear Friends,

In order to make the border crossing less painful we are contemplating not taking any DVDs with us. I have a niche taste and most of them are older American and UK TV series like Startrek, Bewitched (will the customs objects to the name?), Jeeves and Wooster, etc.

Most of them can be now watched for free on the internet, but I am not sure if the sites in question are accessible in KSA. Just a couple of examples:

http://watchseries.cr/series/star-tr...n/2/episode/13

Coke & Popcorn TV Shows Guide

Are you able to let me know if you can open these in KSA? If you can - I can leave the DVDs behind with a light heart.

Also, what about paid subscription services like Netflix - can they be accessed?

Many thanks for your help,

K )
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To take or not to take - DVDs to KSA? A dillemma

As you probably know, Netflix now has universal access, however, the locality will determine which tv shows / films are available and they will differ. I have a UK Netflix account, so use a VPN when accessing , and also when occasionally accessing BBC / ITV Player.

There are a few online sites that are working, Putlocker, 123movies, Popcorn Time etc, but it's always useful to have a good VPN service here anyway, if only in order to access Skype and other video calling services.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 11:03 am
Just Joined

2nd_opossum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
As you probably know, Netflix now has universal access, however, the locality will determine which tv shows / films are available and they will differ. I have a UK Netflix account, so use a VPN when accessing , and also when occasionally accessing BBC / ITV Player.

There are a few online sites that are working, Putlocker, 123movies, Popcorn Time etc, but it's always useful to have a good VPN service here anyway, if only in order to access Skype and other video calling services.
Thank you for this. I only tend to watch old stuff - on Putlocker and similar - good to know that they are accessible. Netflix is more of my husbands domain. K )
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

If they are original DVD's then it shouldn't be an issue. Stuff you have copied yourself 'could' be troublesome.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

You have a 99% chance of going through with no-one even glancing at the DVDs. Even if they do check them and someone objects to a particular scene they'll just confiscate the relevant DVDs and fine you maybe $30 (provided it's just regular TV / movies).
Old Mar 9th 2017, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Customs were much more vigilant on these issues 20 years ago. Now they may not even glance at them, but you could get a customs guy having a bad day. Why take the risk ?
Old Mar 9th 2017, 11:47 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2nd_opossum

In order to make the border crossing less painful we are contemplating not taking any DVDs with us. I have a niche taste and most of them are older American and UK TV series like Startrek, Bewitched (will the customs objects to the name?), Jeeves and Wooster, etc.
)
No but they'll probably think it's a documentary.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 12:10 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
No but they'll probably think it's a documentary.
Just do a googlewhack on "Dynamo & jinn", that's entertaining and enlightening.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 7:08 am
Just Joined

globalgeek is an unknown quantity at this point

It is upto you. To be on the safe side with customs and also to leave room for other things you may miss then I would not bother with the DVDs. Many of the websites are not blocked currently. It is a fluid situation that you will need to bend to. However, in real honesty how often are you going to watch them. You can also put your favourite shows on a hard drive to watch over and over again. However, I would avoid taking the second one whichever way you decide.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

DVDs? Do people still have those?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Donna2805 is an unknown quantity at this point

What about KODI, SMBC boxes. Do these work with a VPN?