Working in Damman

Old May 17th 2012, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Bigfrank28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Damman

Can anyone tell me what the working/living conditions in Damman are like?
Old May 18th 2012, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Working in Damman

I notice quite a few views on this thread but no replies - is that because there isnt many people working there?
Old May 18th 2012, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bigfrank,

none of the regulars are based in Damman that I am aware of i'm afraid :-( To be completely honest I don't even know where it is!
Old May 18th 2012, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

BF there are plenty of people who have worked in Damman but you really havent given anyone much to go on.

If you mention which company you are going to be working for or which compound you are going to be living in then you may get some feed back

If you want general sweeping statements about Damman and I sadly have to be there one day this week before moving onto Jubail as usual then the following may be of use.

Its just another East coast shit hole in Saudi, the driving is as bad as anywhere else on the East coast, you can get an amazing burger at a place on the front that I cant remember the name of as had spent the evening with Sid. If you can charm the knickers of an embassy chick then you may get into the US embassy for a hooley. Its a very short car drive to Bahrain if you have multi re-entry visa and its a whole lot better than Yanbu. As said hoof in some particulars and you may get something useful
Old May 18th 2012, 9:07 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I know, Damman serves the main oilfields in the East of Saudi. It is very conservative, but not as strict as Riyadh.

I'm sure a few people choose to live in Bahrain and commute to Damman to work. It has an international airport, so getting in and out shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

I'm guessing it will be very hot and humid in Summer, intollerable to be outdoors for about 6 months a year. Like Bahrain and Qatar.

[J]
Old May 18th 2012, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

It's shit like the rest of the place ....

Being more productive i stayed a short time a few years ago. It's not as bad as Riyadh but just as make sure you get the featherbed package.

Last edited by co durham boy; May 18th 2012 at 1:20 pm.
Old May 20th 2012, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

fatima23 is an unknown quantity at this point

from which aspects you wanna know and i will tell you ?
Old May 21st 2012, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Cheers for the comments guys. Just looking for the basic info on Damman. Not got an offer yet but had a telephone interview from a chap from alyamama and a follow up phone call with a possible flight over for another interview. Post is a construction manager in Damman. No idea what salary/package to ask for so help there would be good. Any info on compounds would help. Would consider commute from Bahrain. Any info on alyamama too.
Old May 22nd 2012, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Its a very easy commute from Bah to Damman. Causeway traffic is relatively light these days to what it was a couple of years ago. Been through 4 times this week now all be it very early in the morning but have got through both sets of booths in under 5 minutes each time and around 25 minutes on the return in the afternoon. Definitely worth proposing living in BAH

Cant help on the company but am sure others may be able to help
Old May 23rd 2012, 2:26 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigfrank28
Cheers for the comments guys. Just looking for the basic info on Damman. Not got an offer yet but had a telephone interview from a chap from alyamama and a follow up phone call with a possible flight over for another interview. Post is a construction manager in Damman. No idea what salary/package to ask for so help there would be good. Any info on compounds would help. Would consider commute from Bahrain. Any info on alyamama too.
When you say Construction Manager, I'd assume you're degree qualified (but not Chartered) and with say 20 year's overall experience, at least 10 of which at manager level?

Assuming so, your total package should not be less than SAR35k/m plus car, accommodation, flights, health cover and end of service gratuity. You'll need to be here until April 6th 2014 otherwise the whole lot is subject to UK Income Tax and NI. Others on here will argue that package is too low, but I think realistic.

Remember you'll likely be working 6 days a week, long hours and 30 callendar-day holidays a year.

[J]
Old May 23rd 2012, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply johnnyboy. I have an HND in civil engineering and have all the other experience you mention. How much does it cost on average for utilities/food/car fuel per month. Also what can be expected for end of service gratuity?

If you accept a job offer, how long are you tied in for? If you can't settle or don't want to settle in SA can you get out?