British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Work VISA info (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/work-visa-info-512291/)

DavidUK Feb 6th 2008 3:28 pm

Work VISA info

Hello,

I have been offered a job working for a UK based company (my current employer) who has an office in Dubai. They have offered me a promotion to the Dubai office which I am seriously considering.

My only concern is that a friend of mine told me you had to have a perfect financial credit rating to get a work visa for the UAE. Is this true?

The reason it concerns me is that three years ago my own business went under and it left me with in a financial mess. I am now in the process of resolving it through a payment plan but obviously my personal credit rating was, and continues to be, affected.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks so much.

shakh your bootie Feb 6th 2008 3:31 pm

Re: Work VISA info

Originally Posted by DavidUK (Post 5894614)
Hello,

I have been offered a job working for a UK based company (my current employer) who has an office in Dubai. They have offered me a promotion to the Dubai office which I am seriously considering.

My only concern is that a friend of mine told me you had to have a perfect financial credit rating to get a work visa for the UAE. Is this true?

The reason it concerns me is that three years ago my own business went under and it left me with in a financial mess. I am now in the process of resolving it through a payment plan but obviously my personal credit rating was, and continues to be, affected.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks so much.

Hi Dave,

Not true at all - they do not credit check you as part of the visa application process so you can set your mind at rest.

Congrats on the new job - I hope that they are providing sensibly for your accom allowance, flights, medical etc.

Welcome to the Board,

SYB

Sam FTQ Feb 6th 2008 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by DavidUK (Post 5894614)
Hello,

Can anyone advise?

Thanks so much.

It very much depends on the employer. If you are currently employed by the company who are offering you the new position, then you will probably be OK.

My employers did extensive background checking after offering me my position, including going though my financial affairs with a fine-toothed comb, but then they are a financial company, Emirati-based, and didn't know me from Adam.

One thing I would say to you is that there is a lot of nonsense talked about the immigration process in the UAE; it isn't nearly as arduous as some people would have you believe.

Good luck!

Sam x

DavidUK Feb 6th 2008 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5894630)
Hi Dave,

Not true at all - they do not credit check you as part of the visa application process so you can set your mind at rest.

Congrats on the new job - I hope that they are providing sensibly for your accom allowance, flights, medical etc.

Welcome to the Board,

SYB

That's great news - thanks so much. I have flights, medial and accom for a while at least. What industry do you work in?

shakh your bootie Feb 6th 2008 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by DavidUK (Post 5894660)
That's great news - thanks so much. I have flights, medial and accom for a while at least. What industry do you work in?

I'm a forger of minds. Or is that a minder for a forger? I forget. But they keep paying me, and I don't complain.:p

{crusty old academic}

DavidUK Feb 6th 2008 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5894707)
I'm a forger of minds. Or is that a minder for a forger? I forget. But they keep paying me, and I don't complain.:p

{crusty old academic}

An academic... I considered a career as an academic but the study required put me off!!

Bob Feb 6th 2008 5:10 pm

Welcome to BE :)