Reload this Page >

Work & study in Dubai

Work & study in Dubai

Old Oct 12th 2004, 11:48 am
Just Joined

dare2dream is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work & study in Dubai

Hi Guys,

Firstly just wanted to say hi. These forums are great ideas.

secondly, I'm not British (but our head of state is the queen), but I hope you can help out anyways... :-)

I have read a lot of the threads on the forum and haven't seen a question like this, so here goes.

I was wondering if any of you guys has any experience with working and studying in Dubai at the same time. I have completed my Bachelor of Computer Engineering degree and have been working for about 3 years now mainly in the mobile telecoms sector in Austrlia. I think that it is a good time to start my MBA. Fortunately there is an Australian University with a campus in Dubai offering MBA degrees to which I think I can easily get accepted into.

In Australia employers sometimes subsidise your tuition fees (I guess in the hope that you may work for them after graduating). Do you know if any companies in Dubai may also do this? I have an Iranian background, and I think that an MBA as well as an engineering degree with the ability to speak two languages would be a very big plus in the middle east market. The reason that I want to study in Dubai is so that I can get some local experience under my belt while studying.

So the question is, do you guys think that this is a good idea? Also, do you think that companies would be interested in hiring somebody while they are studying full time (classes are in the evenings), possibly even subsidising tuition fees.

I would really really appreciate your input into this!!
Old Oct 12th 2004, 6:05 pm
Beduoin_Boy

Default Re: Work & study in Dubai

Originally Posted by dare2dream
Hi Guys,

secondly, I'm not British (but our head of state is the queen), but I hope you can help out anyways... :-)

I have read a lot of the threads on the forum and haven't seen a question like this, so here goes.

I was wondering if any of you guys has any experience with working and studying in Dubai at the same time. I have completed my Bachelor of Computer Engineering degree and have been working for about 3 years now mainly in the mobile telecoms sector in Austrlia. I think that it is a good time to start my MBA. Fortunately there is an Australian University with a campus in Dubai offering MBA degrees to which I think I can easily get accepted into.

In Australia employers sometimes subsidise your tuition fees (I guess in the hope that you may work for them after graduating). Do you know if any companies in Dubai may also do this? I have an Iranian background, and I think that an MBA as well as an engineering degree with the ability to speak two languages would be a very big plus in the middle east market. The reason that I want to study in Dubai is so that I can get some local experience under my belt while studying.

So the question is, do you guys think that this is a good idea? Also, do you think that companies would be interested in hiring somebody while they are studying full time (classes are in the evenings), possibly even subsidising tuition fees.

You can Study while you are working but you can't work if are studying! Meaning: If you are on an employment visa then you can study But if you will be on a Student Visa Then you can't work! - If caught doing that then you will be deported and Banned for 1 year.

As I understood its seems you will be joining the University Of Wollongong, it has a good reputation and they have grown over the past 6yrs. The companies have no problems inregards to what you wanna do in your spare time, as long as you are competent and punctual in your work.

Old Oct 12th 2004, 8:44 pm
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

Hi Guys,

as BB has said.. serious VISA problems there. But is it possible to get a company to sponsor you and then study so do it the other way around?
Old Oct 12th 2004, 9:54 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Guys,

Should not be an issue at all. I wud suggest a residence visa which u wud attain from ur employer. Then u may enroll at ur Ozzie Uni (which is prolly Wollongong). As long as ur a resident, that has a job, u r allowed to study anywhere u like. No student visas needed if u r working and u want to study.

They aint that stupid!

If u have any more q's, fire away!

-Face81
Old Oct 12th 2004, 9:55 pm
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

Originally Posted by Face81
Should not be an issue at all. I wud suggest a residence visa which u wud attain from ur employer. Then u may enroll at ur Ozzie Uni (which is prolly Wollongong). As long as ur a resident, that has a job, u r allowed to study anywhere u like. No student visas needed if u r working and u want to study.

They aint that stupid!

If u have any more q's, fire away!

-Face81
makes sense... but i guess yu would need an understanding employer.. maybe like someone in a power station who gives u a computer when usit in the corner?
Old Oct 12th 2004, 10:52 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
makes sense... but i guess yu would need an understanding employer.. maybe like someone in a power station who gives u a computer when usit in the corner?
Now thats wot i call being very cheeky!

No need for an understanding employer. That uni along with mine and prolly several others, offer their MBA modules in the evenings, after 7, so that working people can attend. So there is no need for an employer to even know really, unless u hope to get a higher salary by telling them u r getting in MBA in x months.

-Face81
Old Oct 12th 2004, 10:53 pm
The 5th Amendment

Now thats wot i call being very cheeky!

No need for an understanding employer. That uni along with mine and prolly several others, offer their MBA modules in the evenings, after 7, so that working people can attend. So there is no need for an employer to even know really, unless u hope to get a higher salary by telling them u r getting in MBA in x months.

-Face81
yep... but is a hobby!!!
Old Oct 12th 2004, 11:04 pm
The Oracle

yep... but is a hobby!!!
wots a hobby?
Old Oct 12th 2004, 11:09 pm
Troublemaker

kristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nice

wots a hobby?
Being a cheeky git?
Old Oct 12th 2004, 11:09 pm
The 5th Amendment

wots a hobby?
a past time....
Old Oct 12th 2004, 11:10 pm
The 5th Amendment

Originally Posted by kristy
Being a cheeky git?
I read this post after the sms i just sent u....
Old Oct 12th 2004, 11:20 pm
Troublemaker

kristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nice

I read this post after the sms i just sent u....
Sorry!
Old Oct 13th 2004, 12:09 am
Simply Brilliant

Cherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really niceCherrypie is just really nice

Hi Guys,

You have to remember that even though classes are in the evening, many employers give you an afternoon break and then expect you to work until 7/8pm. The traffic at this time is at its worst, so you'd need to take into account the logistics of getting to uni on time. Also, your work weekends can be Thurs/Fri, Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun, which would need to fit in with your uni. commitments.

If classes are in the evening a couple of times a week then surely that's part-time study, as opposed to full-time study. If you attempted to work full-time and study full-time, you'd be pretty exhausted and I can't see any employer being happy with that.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 12:12 am
The 5th Amendment

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
You have to remember that even though classes are in the evening, many employers give you an afternoon break and then expect you to work until 7/8pm. The traffic at this time is at its worst, so you'd need to take into account the logistics of getting to uni on time. Also, your work weekends can be Thurs/Fri, Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun, which would need to fit in with your uni. commitments.

If classes are in the evening a couple of times a week then surely that's part-time study, as opposed to full-time study. If you attempted to work full-time and study full-time, you'd be pretty exhausted and I can't see any employer being happy with that.
erm so if CP has blocked me then that means i can say anythign i want and she can;t read it!!! hmm this could be fun....

anyway.. my working hours means i end at 6pm so what slave drivers ae you talking about?
Old Oct 13th 2004, 12:24 am
Just Joined

dare2dream is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the response guys. very useful info.

I am thinking that the best thing to do is to actually get a job first and work for a little while before thinking about studying. This way I can get used to the work environent and check things out first hand.

now the easy parts over. time to start looking for jobs now... :scared:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.