British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   work for plasterers in Dubia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/work-plasterers-dubia-553321/)

the derbys Aug 5th 2008 8:56 am

work for plasterers in Dubia

Can anyone tell me if there is any work in Dubai for plasterers?

Robbies Aug 5th 2008 8:59 am

Re: work for plasterers in Dubia

I would guess lots due to construction, but very poorly paid

the derbys Aug 5th 2008 9:02 am

how much is would you reckin per hour? any ideas

lionheart Aug 5th 2008 9:03 am

First of all, try spelling the name of the place correctly. Secondly, forget it. You will be competing with Indians/Pakistanis who are paid literally peanuts. Dubai is not like Spain used to be, as the construction industry here is dominated by workers from the Indian sub-continent.

arbroath_abroad Aug 5th 2008 9:11 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6646844)
First of all, try spelling the name of the place correctly. Secondly, forget it. You will be competing with Indians/Pakistanis who are paid literally peanuts. Dubai is not like Spain used to be, as the construction industry here is dominated by workers from the Indian sub-continent.

not the same, but i have just had my house painted top to bottom for 1000AED and that includes paint. thats about 150 Quid and its a pretty big house

That should give you some guidance..

i wouldnt bother....

Dutchie Aug 5th 2008 9:51 am

Originally Posted by the derbys (Post 6646821)

You might want to go onto the Europe section of BE, then The Netherlands. Lots of job links (websites being mentioned) there and your kind of work pays reasonably well in Holland. There's a huge shortage of skilled labor in the construction area.

arbroath_abroad Aug 5th 2008 11:58 am

There's a huge shortage of skilled labor in the construction area.
just like in UAE then.....

jvr20 Aug 5th 2008 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Dutchie (Post 6646989)
You might want to go onto the Europe section of BE, then The Netherlands. Lots of job links (websites being mentioned) there and your kind of work pays reasonably well in Holland. There's a huge shortage of skilled labor in the construction area.

yes but paid well enough to tempt people from the UK, as well as from former eastern bloc?

Dutchie Aug 5th 2008 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 6647382)
yes but paid well enough to tempt people from the UK, as well as from former eastern bloc?

Yes, there are a growing number of UK expats in Holland, doing all kinds of work. From construction to university level jobs. Not being able to speak Dutch isn't a major problem here in Holland, most Dutch nationals speak three languages.

Dutchie Aug 5th 2008 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 6647382)

Wouldn't like to put a Pound on the table for every UK expat working here.

Cry haddock Aug 5th 2008 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dutchie (Post 6647421)
Wouldn't like to put a Pound on the table for every UK expat working here.

Was told last week that labourers earn 20 Dhs a day on one of the biggest projects here - rising 24 with experience and skill. The last beer i bought was 28 Dhs.

Yorkie Aug 16th 2008 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by the derbys (Post 6646821)

May I suggest you try working in France... It is very difficult to find the same quality of maintanance work here as the UK. There are hundreds of Brits living here wanting small jobs done to houses but are charge an arm and a leg for just bricking a wall and sticking plaster board on, they then just leave it for you to paint! In the UK they skim it before painting. A young lad here went back to the UK to learn to plaster/skim came back and is working very well for himself.

Dutchie Aug 16th 2008 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Cry haddock (Post 6647545)
Was told last week that labourers earn 20 Dhs a day on one of the biggest projects here - rising 24 with experience and skill. The last beer i bought was 28 Dhs.

That's a crime to say it mildly, no wonder the Middle East has such a poor reputation if it comes down to human rights (including labor rights). High time those sand rabbits did some hard labor themselves.

arbroath_abroad Aug 17th 2008 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Dutchie (Post 6685690)
That's a crime to say it mildly, no wonder the Middle East has such a poor reputation if it comes down to human rights (including labor rights). High time those sand rabbits did some hard labor themselves.

christ, the muppets can even fill up their own cars with petrol