British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   work and live in dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/work-live-dubai-207613/)

jat Feb 4th 2004 2:16 am

work and live in dubai

Hi

As a single woman wanting to live in Dubai - qualified chartered accountant - qualified for 6 years... looking for some advice on what to expect and what kind of lifestyle the city offers....

is there a market for chartered accountants and are women treated well professionally?

any help would be appreciated...

angelinepereira Feb 4th 2004 2:32 am

Re: work and live in dubai

Hi,

Hey, i've been thinking of moving to Dubai too... so have been researching on the place.

Have u gone to the website Godubai.com i like searching their job database. Maybe you should check it out.

I know a young girl that went there a few months ago to work at a bank and says its great. Its a very cosmopolitan place, and unlike what most people would think!!! being in the Middle East.

Good Luck!!!

angeline

Nevi Feb 4th 2004 4:48 am

Re: work and live in dubai

Originally posted by jat
Hi

As a single woman wanting to live in Dubai - qualified chartered accountant - qualified for 6 years... looking for some advice on what to expect and what kind of lifestyle the city offers....

is there a market for chartered accountants and are women treated well professionally?

any help would be appreciated...

The Duabi lifestyle is very convenient. It is a very westernised part of the Middle East, and so it is relatively easy to adapt to. As it is a relatively new place it does not have the old buildings etc that some of the European cities have, instead it tries to focus on being on the leading edge in terms of development. Due to the large number of expats in Dubai there is pretty much all the ammenities and conveniencies that you could wish for (even to the extent of selling Tesco's brand things in some supermarkets)!

From what I have seen, and from talking to the women here that I know, they have experienced vey few problems with regard to being treated well. (Some of the women love the fact that they can walk straight to the front of a queue in the bank etc instead of standing in line). The main issue would be if you had to deal with other countries in the region on a regular basis. For example dealing with Saudi may be inconvenient.

There are various websites that others have posted on seperate threads that detail many of the recruitment websites. So I would advise having a look at those to test the market. Overall, I guess any place is as good as you make it, however, I've met very few people here that have not enjoyed their time in Dubai.

philipz Feb 7th 2004 4:20 pm

Well Angeline, I wouldnt trust the junk that I saw on GoDubai.com as the website has been inactive for around a year now. If you want to see actual UAE job vacancies, I would advise that you go through my jobs article as it will help you find accurate UAE jobs online.

Nevi summed up everything else I would have said quite nicely.