Reload this Page >

Work in Jeddah live in Dubai

Work in Jeddah live in Dubai

Old Feb 26th 2016, 5:08 am
Just Joined

unsureone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work in Jeddah live in Dubai

Default Work in Jeddah but live in Dubai
Does anyone commute at weekends to Dubai to live with family?

Wife and 3 kids not overly excited about living in Saudi but could do Dubai (lived there 8 years ago).

Company is international with offices in Dubai and KSA so possibly sponsor family in Dubai and myself in Dubai and KSA.

This is better alternative to wife and kids staying in Australia and seeing Dad every 3 months for 10 days.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
unsureone is online now Add to unsureone's Reputation Report Post
Old Feb 26th 2016, 10:29 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work in Jeddah live in Dubai

Originally Posted by unsureone

Wife and 3 kids not overly excited about living in Saudi but could do Dubai (lived there 8 years ago).

Company is international with offices in Dubai and KSA so possibly sponsor family in Dubai and myself in Dubai and KSA.

This is better alternative to wife and kids staying in Australia and seeing Dad every 3 months for 10 days.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
I know several UK expats that live in Dubai/ Abu Dhabi and commute to Qatar during the working week then head back for the weekend. They usually arrive mid-morning on a Sunday and leave mid-afternoon on a Thursday and put in the extra hours in-between. Some decent hotels in Qatar do a very cheap room/meals deal on the 4 nights they stay. I guess the same working scenario would be do-able in KSA?

I've worked in Qatar for near six years now whilst my wife and kids remained in the UK. I'm heading back in April after concluding that the lifestyle just isn't sustainable for me and the family. Fine if you have a goal in mind, like clearing debts, paying off the mortgage or building some savings, but once you've done all that you'll find it increasingly difficult to justify being apart from the family. My experience anyway.

[J]
Old Feb 26th 2016, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

unsureone is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, not ideal situation being apart from family but with jobs scarce in Australia just now we need to follow the work and ME seems to be the place. Hoping to do 2 years max then either return to Oz or home to UK. Hoping there are more jobs about then too.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work in Riyadh and fly back to Jeddah every weekend where the family where. I knew it was only for 10 months but was still tough to do.

I'd actually suggest that you try living with the family in Jeddah. It's not Dubai, far from it, but IS a little more laid back than the rest of Saudi. Get onto a nice western compound and you can have a half decent lifestyle. If that doesn't work out, then you could try the weekend commute to Dubai.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

2 hour flight. Jeddah is okay. My family were with me and liked it - but we were on a nice compound and the older daughter went to a good school.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unsureone

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Your family will hate you if you take them all straight to Jeddah from Oz , you're crossing the full spectrum of lifestyle . I'd go first for 3 months then make a decision on what's best , if it aint going to work then pull the pin .

I know a lot of people who like Jeddah and i've spent quite a bit of time there in and out over the years , it's not as bad as a lot of other places in Saudi by a long shot but to be honest that's a pretty shit benchmark.

Commuting from DXB is an option but that'll wear you out no doubt about it , i'd go shit or bust to be honest but it all depends on your relative circumstances.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 5:59 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Saudi can be a great place to go with a family. Compound life can be great for kids. Your wife might find she actually likes living there. I've come across many women who do.

Don't be too judgemental about what you don't know yet.

The commute is doable, but you're going to be tiring yourself out, and you'll miss a lot of family stuff in the week.

Anyway, you'll be out there on your own for at least a couple of months before being able to bring the family over.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Saudi can be a great place to go with a family. Compound life can be great for kids. Your wife might find she actually likes living there. I've come across many women who do.

Don't be too judgemental about what you don't know yet.

The commute is doable, but you're going to be tiring yourself out, and you'll miss a lot of family stuff in the week.

Anyway, you'll be out there on your own for at least a couple of months before being able to bring the family over.
" Saudi can be a great place to go with the family " .......

The above statement is a load of shite
Old Mar 1st 2016, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

3 hour flight to Jeddah. Done it many times.

Flight times are not ideal, and not forgetting the hour long queues at KSA immigration and fully booked up flights.

But, on the more positive side - Jeddah is alright.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Do not make a judgement until you have seen Jeddah.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

currentaffairs is an unknown quantity at this point

I would make a go of Jeddah and forget the 'commute' to Dubai if I were you.... Good compounds, decent shopping, and more relaxed than other parts of KSA.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Lulu77 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is normal to see situation like that in KSA.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 12:10 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I know a lot of people who like Jeddah and i've spent quite a bit of time there in and out over the years , it's not as bad as a lot of other places in Saudi by a long shot but to be honest that's a pretty shit benchmark.
Spot on.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 8:20 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
" Saudi can be a great place to go with the family " .......

The above statement is a load of shite
Why do you say that?
Old Mar 15th 2016, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My family thought Jeddah was fine - but we were in a high-end compound and daughter went to a good school. Weather is a bit humid in the summer but the winters are wonderful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.