British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Women sponsors? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/women-sponsors-267784/)

Singlemom Nov 21st 2004 3:12 am

Women sponsors?

Hello,

Could anybody help me out here? I am moving to Dubai soon with my little girl. I got a great job and package I am very happy about and hold a US passport. I am a single mom with full custody of my daughter. I've been hearing things about women not being able to sponsor their kids; that only fathers can do so. Well he doesn't really care about moving to Dubai. It would be a shame to miss out on a great life for her because of this issue.
Some people have told me that the authorities do make exceptions.
Does anybody have an idea about this issue? Have you encountered any single mothers who have succeeded in doing so? Or should I just refuse the offer? :(

Thank you!

LakesLassie Nov 21st 2004 5:04 am

Re: Women sponsors?

Originally Posted by Singlemom
Hello,

Could anybody help me out here? I am moving to Dubai soon with my little girl. I got a great job and package I am very happy about and hold a US passport. I am a single mom with full custody of my daughter. I've been hearing things about women not being able to sponsor their kids; that only fathers can do so. Well he doesn't really care about moving to Dubai. It would be a shame to miss out on a great life for her because of this issue.
Does anybody have an idea about this issue? Have you encountered any single mothers who have succeeded in doing so? Or should I just refuse the offer? :(

Thank you!

I would assume that only the father can sponsor IF you're in a situation where the father is with the family. I know of a few people here who are single mothers so although I don't personally know how it works, there must be a solution.

There are 2 women on the expatmum website (Simone N and Jenj) who I know are single mums, so it might be worth going there & asking them for advice.

Good luck! :)

Cherrypie Nov 21st 2004 12:55 pm

Hello,

Thank you!

Hi there

What does your company PRO say about this? Have you asked him... he should be able to advise you. The rule you mention is very true but in Dubai there are many grey areas...so definitely do not refuse the offer.

Singlemom Nov 21st 2004 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Cherrypie
Hi there

What does your company PRO say about this? Have you asked him... he should be able to advise you. The rule you mention is very true but in Dubai there are many grey areas...so definitely do not refuse the offer.

hello,

Thank you for your answers; I'll be meeting the PRO before I start next week for all visa issues, i just hope they have the right contacts in the grey areas ;)

I will let you know in case another woman is in this situation!

thanks again!

novita77 Nov 22nd 2004 9:36 am

Now I wondering... if u r a single woman, and you can't sponsor your child... what you will have to do than?

Singlemom Nov 22nd 2004 9:43 am

I don't think I'll be able to do visa runs every 2 months with her, so I guess I'll pack my bags and go home :(

Lamia

novita77 Nov 22nd 2004 9:46 am

I don't think I'll be able to do visa runs every 2 months with her, so I guess I'll pack my bags and go home :(

Lamia

Don't give up yet Lamia. I am sure somebody will be able to help you. :( Hey... do u join with Dubaikids??? I am on their mailing list, and sounds they are nice bunch of ladies.

kristy Nov 22nd 2004 10:01 am

I was under the impression that it could be done in certain cases, but I have no idea where I got that from!

They do have some daft rules here (well, daft to us, they have their own reasons I know), like I think it's illegal for a woman to be pregnant if she's not married. On the other hand contraceptive pills are easily available over the counter, no questions asked.

Singlemom Nov 22nd 2004 10:07 am

Originally Posted by novita77
Don't give up yet Lamia. I am sure somebody will be able to help you. :( Hey... do u join with Dubaikids??? I am on their mailing list, and sounds they are nice bunch of ladies.

Thanks Novita,

Things will clear out a little hopefully :) Thanks for the encouragement!
Dubaikids, I've never heard of it. I'll check it out!
Thanks

Jammy_Dodgers Nov 22nd 2004 10:16 am

Originally Posted by kristy
I was under the impression that it could be done in certain cases, but I have no idea where I got that from!

They do have some daft rules here (well, daft to us, they have their own reasons I know), like I think it's illegal for a woman to be pregnant if she's not married. On the other hand contraceptive pills are easily available over the counter, no questions asked.

So do pregnant women get deported then ???

kristy Nov 22nd 2004 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
So do pregnant women get deported then ???

I have no idea what would happen if they found out, to be honest, and I don't intend to try it!

Singlemom Nov 22nd 2004 10:22 am

Thanks Novita,

Things will clear out a little hopefully :) Thanks for the encouragement!
Dubaikids, I've never heard of it. I'll check it out!
Thanks

My daughter is 2 1/2 :) (She's my little angel!)

novita77 Nov 22nd 2004 10:32 am

Originally Posted by kristy
I have no idea what would happen if they found out, to be honest, and I don't intend to try it!

When I delivered my son in Doha... you can't get register to the hospital for the maternity without the presents of the father... :eek:

A friend of mine (she is a waitress in Doha)... got pregnant... being sent home by the company...