Wolf Spiders!!!!

Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:22 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wolf Spiders!!!!

I received this email from a friend...Beware:

This is the delightful wolf spider which made an appearance in our villa last night (no-this is not a photo off the internet, this is the actual one). At the time when it cruised into our living room, it didn't have its precious children in tow – that golf ball looking thing is actually its egg sack which it carries on its back. The children only appeared after it realised it was trapped – nice.

Obviously, we didn't know what it was except for a disgusting and enormous spider, but it turns out that these little beauties are extremely poisonous. They don't kill you but they will kill dogs, cats, birds etc – they just send us to hospital for anti-venom (which they don't have in the UAE – clever). Also as we discovered from some internet trawling they don't bother with stupid things like webs as they like to stalk their prey, and they "hunt in packs". Clearly I am now a nervous wreck….

Anyway apart from to show you Stephen and my new pets, you should also know that if you happen to discover one of these spiders in your house., you should trap it with a (large) glass and then you are actually supposed to report it to pest control because they are dangerous to children particularly.

Well, doesn't it make us all breathe easier to know that wolf spiders (the name given to them because they like to hunt in packs – eh, terrifying much?) are living amongst us. And, for extra peace of mind, if you get bitten by this or by a red back for that matter, they won't be able to help you in the hospitals here. Perfect.

Have a lovely day.

Leigh xx
Attached Thumbnails Wolf Spiders!!!!-image001.jpg  
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:23 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wolf Spiders!!!!

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers

This is the delightful wolf spider which made an appearance in our villa last night (no-this is not a photo off the internet, this is the actual one). At the time when it cruised into our living room, it didn't have its precious children in tow – that golf ball looking thing is actually its egg sack which it carries on its back. The children only appeared after it realised it was trapped – nice.

Obviously, we didn't know what it was except for a disgusting and enormous spider, but it turns out that these little beauties are extremely poisonous. They don't kill you but they will kill dogs, cats, birds etc – they just send us to hospital for anti-venom (which they don't have in the UAE – clever). Also as we discovered from some internet trawling they don't bother with stupid things like webs as they like to stalk their prey, and they "hunt in packs". Clearly I am now a nervous wreck….

Anyway apart from to show you Stephen and my new pets, you should also know that if you happen to discover one of these spiders in your house., you should trap it with a (large) glass and then you are actually supposed to report it to pest control because they are dangerous to children particularly.

Well, doesn't it make us all breathe easier to know that wolf spiders (the name given to them because they like to hunt in packs – eh, terrifying much?) are living amongst us. And, for extra peace of mind, if you get bitten by this or by a red back for that matter, they won't be able to help you in the hospitals here. Perfect.

Have a lovely day.

Leigh xx

I hate spiders. Even reading this is making my stomach turn.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Have a lovely day.

Leigh xx

cheers for that JD, that is me having guarenteed nightmares from now on. I Hate spiders of any size/description.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

luckily for me I have MH on a retainer as my super spider squasher...

(someone tell me this is a wind up though, please...)
MM, xx
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:33 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
luckily for me I have MH on a retainer as my super spider squasher...

(someone tell me this is a wind up though, please...)
MM, xx
no..it is indeed fact
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

no..it is indeed fact
hmmm...you're not making me feel any better...

MM, xx
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:36 am
Up in the air

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
hmmm...you're not making me feel any better...

MM, xx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_spider

Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thanks JD...I feel a whole lot better now

MM, xx
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:48 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

S-H-!-T

I feel sick ........

That was huge ....oh my Gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwd!!!
(looking round nervously)

I don't even mind em but THAT .....was sumthing else!!

Go near that with a glass ....Are you CRAZY????

Evacuate the house and run for the hills ...I say!!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:52 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

thank goodness I scrolled thru quickly .. I am not looking at this again
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:59 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
thank goodness I scrolled thru quickly .. I am not looking at this again
Me neither .....Ive got my (ghostbusters style) flame thrower staped to my back.

Suggest you do the same!!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

alfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nicealfro is just really nice

http://www.ento.okstate.edu/ddd/insects/wolfspider.htm

According to this website, they are not poisonous and are "shy and seek to run away when disturbed."

They are also common in Britain as well, according to this website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfact...iles/355.shtml

They only grow to a maximum of 8 cm, which is really not that big (compared with the Camel spider), seen spiders in the UK that size...

I would still be very reluctant to have one crawling around my house though
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:29 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

And, for extra peace of mind, if you get bitten by this or by a red back for that matter, they won't be able to help you in the hospitals here. Perfect
Tell Leigh that just a few minutes of Googling reveals that although wolf spiders look nasty and have a nice scary-sounding name they are not particularly dangerous. Even in Australia, where pretty much every creature that moves is lethal, wolf spider bites aren't dangerous... painful yes, deadly no

Oh, and that hoary old myth about redbacks is just that - a myth. They *do* have the redback antivenom here in the UAE, but the boring truth is that the redback isn't anywhere near as dangerous as everyone likes to think (ask any Australian), and unless you're very young or very old you probably wouldn't be given the antivenom after being bitten anyway because you wouldn't need it.

Doh! There I go again, ruining another perfectly good scare story
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:36 am
Up in the air

Originally Posted by GarethR
Doh! There I go again, ruining another perfectly good scare story
spoil-sport!!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:38 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

spoil-sport!!

Don't worry, someone'll be along in a minute to tell us that camel spiders are a foot across, chase after you screaming and inject a deadly venom that kills you in five seconds...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.